Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,944,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Not likely. WTGS has NO physical assets ... NOTHING! No studios, no equipment, no cameras, no vehicles, no master control, not even a staff. EVERYTHING is owned and operated by WJCL. Plus, WTGS has little brand recognition. It's not "Fox 28 News at 10" but "WJCL News at 10 on Fox." Building a station from scratch would be nearly impossible, given the size of the market. Sinclair isn't going to do that. I expect that one or both will get sold or traded again, and the deal will include keeping them together. Too much has been invested to split them up now.
Really? When I lived in Savannah I remember hearing of Fox 28 News at 10. I guess since they moved into the new quarters on Chatham Parkway, things have changed as far as that is concerned.

Yes, they have always been synonymous though. WJCL and WTGS are exactly the same. The market is just too small for 4 full news programs. Even at #92 in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I think WSAV contracts with the link above.
Yep, they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,843,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Really? When I lived in Savannah I remember hearing of Fox 28 News at 10. I guess since they moved into the new quarters on Chatham Parkway, things have changed as far as that is concerned.
Like I said, LIN has spent a ton of money on making WJCL competitive in the market, and it's paying off. WTGS is an afterthought. I think they'll stay together, because two stations are stronger than one. But clearly, WJCL has the upper hand. As it should (being ABC).

Old 08-23-2014, 12:04 PM

252 posts, read 347,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Well, Raleigh used to have one, but I don't think it flies much anymore. Operating costs are too high, and internet traffic cameras are everywhere, largely replacing the need for one in the first place. If we ever needed monitoring of traffic beyond what Google Maps offers from real-time social data collection (and I don't think we really do), you can count on the terrestrial and web-connected variety taking their place anyway.

Savannah is market #96 (or thereabouts). RDU is #27ish. So, you can see we're not even in their same league, and they've pretty much done away with theirs.
Also has to do with market profitability. All three stations in the Columbus Market #32 have choppers - but Columbus is a very profitable market for all three. Before all the M&A activity, Columbus was Sinclair's most profitable market and I believe it was Media General's second most profitable (after WFLA). I think there might be some way to use the new Live U backpacks and lower the cost of putting a chopper up in the air.

I also wonder why stations don't just share one chopper. No sense in all three going through the expense.

As an aside: I recently bought a 1080i dashcam for about $40 and the picture is excellent! I wonder if there is any way for drones to do the same job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxFrxFw93xc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area