Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM

94 posts, read 114,251 times

Advertisements

Because the 1-million gallon water tower/treatment facility connected to the Statesboro sewer system was built to provide utilities and development capacity for the TAD-funded industrial/commercial park being developed at the interchange as well as along Highway 301. The reason the highway is not developed from the interstate to the city is partially because there has been no water infrastructure until now. The water tower was designed to be visible from the interstate to display the Development Authority's new Bulloch County branding "Good for Business". When the water tower was designed, there were concerns that the trees would block the view of the tower. Effingham has a water tower near the interstate as well advertising their industrial park or something.

I think the sheer size of the tower will be helpful too - for folks who may not know there is a city down the highway off the expressway, a typical water tower would not draw much interest - but a large tower such as the Bulloch County tower at least implies there is something off the interstate that is significant enough to warrant a large tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 03:55 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,920,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPlanner View Post
Effingham has a water tower near the interstate as well advertising their industrial park or something.
I believe that one is for the Bryan Interstate Centre (by the weigh station)... I think I vaguely remember one near Old River Road, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, then yeah, that is in Effingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPlanner View Post
I think the sheer size of the tower will be helpful too - for folks who may not know there is a city down the highway off the expressway, a typical water tower would not draw much interest - but a large tower such as the Bulloch County tower at least implies there is something off the interstate that is significant enough to warrant a large tower.
Realistically, the average Joe won't think twice about that sort of thing. 9 times out of 10, anyone driving down 16 is trying to get to Savannah from Atlanta and vice versa. The other 10% is going to Hilton Head. LOL (kidding..sort of)

Old 12-12-2014, 04:15 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,085,757 times
Update:

Walmart Neighborhood Market will open on Wednesday Dec. 17 according to this article. Wondering if both locations will be madhouse with college students.
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market to open in Statesboro next week

Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,826,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Update:

Walmart Neighborhood Market will open on Wednesday Dec. 17 according to this article. Wondering if both locations will be madhouse with college students.
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market to open in Statesboro next week
Probably not until January. Many are now leaving to go home for the holidays. On a side note, looks like the new traffic signal went on this week.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Why does that even matter?

"Hey look pa, a big 'ol water tower! We must be near civlizaaayshun!"
Well, that is the attitude that many big city people have about Statesboro, which infuriates me!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Well, that is the attitude that many big city people have about Statesboro, which infuriates me!
Wondering why it is a big deal to see a water tower from the interstate infuriates you?

Really??

BTW, I'm from Savannah. I would hardly call that "big city".

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Wondering why it is a big deal to see a water tower from the interstate infuriates you?

Really??
No, people complaining that Statesboro doesn't offer enough as a place to live infuriates me. We are a growing town, but most don't see that. To many of them, we are either seen as a rink a dink town or are just simply not known at all.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
No, people complaining that Statesboro doesn't offer enough as a place to live infuriates me. We are a growing town, but most don't see that. To many of them, we are either seen as a rink a dink town or are just simply not known at all.
Not sure if you're calling me out specifically or not, but I never said anything about the amenities of Statesboro...

Old 12-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you're calling me out specifically or not, but I never said anything about the amenities of Statesboro...
I wasn't. But I do know many students who often make jokes about where civilization is. Many are from metro Atlanta.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I wasn't. But I do know many students who often make jokes about where civilization is. Many are from metro Atlanta.
When you put it into perspective, it is obvious why those jokes are made. It is absolutely silly to get infuriated about it. Just don't think twice about their lack of ability to understand small town life and call it a day. Not worth wasting your energy over.

Heck, the same jokes have been made about Savannah from people in Atlanta... though it has been a few years since I've heard one. Savannah's doing better in the amenities department over the past several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area