Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,926 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are wanting to move to Savannah in the summer of '07 - but I want some advice before venturing in to relocating. Currently we live in Nova Scotia, Canada. My husband is retired from the Canadian Navy, and I am a U.S. citizen.
Everything I read online in the relocation guide says the economy in Georgia is good. Then I stumbled across this web site and everyone is saying that the wages are low and not in tune with the cost of living. Which is it, because this is of great concern to me. I mean, we have to be able to afford to live. What can you expect in the Savannah area for (give or take with the dollar conversion) $30,000 annually? Is this considered poverty or middle class? And if I feel I need to return to work, what's the work force like?
Also, being from the US originally and even living in Texas for an 8 year stint, I know what true Southerners think of anybody north of the Mason/Dixon line. What type of reception can we anticipate when people find out we're from north of the border? I don't mind so much for myself, or my husband. When he docked in Savannah with the Navy many years ago he said the people were wonderful. But we have a 15 year old son who will need to fit in. Do you foresee any problems there?
Please, guys, don't be afraid to be brutally honest with me. I need to know what we're in for before making a decision that may end up biting us in the butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,984 times
Hey, Cape Breton,
My family and I are also planning to move to the Savannah area. I don't think it will be Savannah, but somewhere close. We've been looking at Pooler. I realize that we will probably be working there. I also have school age children, I would like any info you are provided with also!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,926 times
mommee5 .... I have a few sites that have been really helpful. The one for the Chamber of Commerce has a lot of useful info in the relocation guide. Everything from real estate, employment, schools, restaurants, entertainment .... just oodles of good stuff. Most with links to the websites, phone numbers & addresses. I hope you find something you can use.

We're looking at an area just outside of Savannah called Wilmington Island. It sounds like a nice suburb with easy access to everything.

Where are you relocating from? It'd be nice to keep up with each others progress and maybe meet up for lunch or something when we both get our families settled. Always nice to have a friend in a new neighborhood.

Keep me posted and good luck!

www.thecreativecoast.org
www.savannahchamber.com/relocation/relocation_resource_guide.shtml (broken link)
www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/home/

Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,178 times
Smile The Real Savannah

Hello,

I lived in Savannah for 4 years during college, (Savannah College of Art and Design) and it wasnt my style. I grew up in the far north suburbs of Chicago. So let me give you a quick rundown of the Savannah that isnt in travel brochures and city websites:

-Our first week of school the SPD (Savannah Police Department) sat us all down for a mandatory lecture on the places not to be at night in Savannah, some of which were a block from the dorms. If you walk around Forsyth park alone after dark, you WILL get mugged.

-70+ percent (I'm guessing) of the population of Savannah are low income blacks (I'm not racist, just noting what I see) I was shocked at the number of check cashing and bail bond stores in the City. There are a lot of rusted out 70's boat cars driving around with $4000 spinner wheels and subwoofers. There is literally a gold teeth shop on Broughton Street (the main shopping avenue downtown)

The rest of the population are white business people and college kids, mostly from SCAD. SCAD isnt a huge party school though and the city isnt safe at night, so you wont get a lot of drunk college kids screaming and stumbling around the streets at all hours.

-The city is hot as you know where for most of the year. I recall many days of 95+ degrees and 80% humidity, you open the door and the heat literally blows you back in; its like a hot tub outside and you feel like you could swim to your car.

-Property values outside of downtown are fairly low and a nice apartment can be had for $700 monthly. I dont know about real jobs, but retail work is readily available in Savannah. $30,000 is lower middle class, but probably more than most citizens make. McDonalds is very popular down there.

-Savannah has major drainage issues. When it rains much, the city floods. There are a number of roads you cant get through without a high vehicle (8 inches plus of ground clearance) and some youd need a boat to get through. This wasnt a major issue for me as I had a full size pickup.

-There are lots of cockroaches. No matter how clean you keep your home, you will see some big ones inside on occasion.

Thats about all I can think of for now, hope this helps! I'm not trying to scare you away from the city, there are certainly nice things about it. The city squares are beautiful, forsyth park during the day is nice and they have good activities there regularly. There are a couple decent malls in Savannah and plenty of shopping, though no real upscale stores. Luckily, Hilton Head Island is nearby and they're all very rich up there. Tybee Island is about 15 mins away and has an okay beach, Hilton Head has nicer beaches but is a longer drive. (bout an hour) I myself never had an altercation with the locals, but I saw plenty of crazy stuff. There are some nice little independent shops. Theres plenty of sun. Theres palm trees. And of course, they filmed midnight in the garden of good and evil there.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 22,294 times
Default Pooler,GA

Hi I live in Pooler,transfered here from Los Angeles,via NY. People are friendly here. Yes the cost of living is cheaper then the North East or L.A. However the jobs are not plentifull. I have been lucky because I work in the transportation industry so it has not ben hard to find work. West Chatam schools are good,the housing is not cheap,you get what you pay for,there are homes that start in the 150's,but like I said you get what you pay for. Pooler to River st/downtown is about 10 minutes depending on what way you go. However this is a small city so some of things we get used to in the bigger citys are not here yet. Anyways I think it is a nice area <EDIT>

Last edited by xxman777; 03-18-2007 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 PM

726 posts, read 3,596,681 times
Charter, Magnet schools in Chatham County:

Mercer Middle School has recently been re-certified as a Georgia Lighthouse School to Watch, a distinction currently held by only eleven middle schools throughout the state.
http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/February+2007/Mercer+Middle+School+RE-Certified+as+Georgia+Lighthouse+School+to+Watch.ht m (broken link)

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools showcases its 19 specialty programs
http://savannahnow.com/node/207454

Savannah Arts Academy’s twenty-six member SkyeLite Jazz Band is named to perform at the National School Board Association’s (NSBA) 67th Annual Conference and Exhibition in San Francisco,
http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/January+2007/SkyeLite+Jazz+Band+Invited+to+Perform+at+National+ School+Board+Association’s+Annual+Conference.htm (broken link)

Oglethorpe Charter School for Middle School
http://oglethorpecharter.org/AboutUs/Welcome.aspx
In June, 2004, Oglethorpe Charter School was designated as one of eight exemplary charter schools in the country by the United States Department of Education Office of Innovation and Improvement

Savannah Arts Academy is one of only 2 blue ribbon high schools in the state http://savannahnow.com/node/171619 (broken link)
Savannah Arts Academy (Open enrollment)
http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/ (broken link)

A new elem and Middle and Technology High are being built on Benton Blvd at Jimmy Deloach Parkway in West Chatham Highlands Area

Jemkins High attracts some of the brightest students into its academy

http://old.savannahnow.com/stories/071904/2310877.shtml
The school's innovative approach brings it an award from the U.S. Department of Education, but some of the nation's other charters are failing

http://old.savannahnow.com/CURRENT/O...OLSindex.shtml
The Savannah-Chatham County Public School System's SAT math and reading average is up six points but only because of tremendous gains made at Windsor Forest, Savannah Arts and Jenkins high schools.

SCCPSS Teachers Inducted Into National Honor Roll’s Outstanding American Teachers
http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/February+2007/SCCPSS+Teachers+Inducted+into+NHRs+Outstanding+Ame rican+Teachers.htm (broken link)

Marshpoint and Savannah Arts Academy have been named Schools of Excellence by State Superintendent Kathy Cox for student achievement and improvement. They are 2 of 25 schools in the state to receive this honor.

http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/February+2007/Marshpoint+Elmentary+and+Savannah+Arts+Academy.htm (broken link)

This certification makes Johnson High School the only school in the region to have a certified engineering and technology education program.
http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/February+2007/Johnson+High+School+Earns+Engineering+and+Technolo gy+Program+Certification.htm (broken link)

http://old.savannahnow.com/CURRENT/O...OLSindex.shtml
Bartow brandishes the tools of technology

Hope Scholarship
http://gacollege411.org/FinAid/ScholarshipsAndGrants/HOPEScholarship/default.asp (broken link)

Georgia Tech is once again excited about the chance to host the next local LEGO League competition at its Savannah campus.
http://savannahnow.com/node/206069

http://www.thecreativecoast.org/news/view/341

The Sol C. Johnson High School robotics team participated and won the Peachtree Regional Vex Competition in Atlanta this past weekend. The Atomsmashers won every match in which they competed.
The Atomsmashers will compete in the World Championships in Atlanta at the Georgia Dome on April 12-14, 2007.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM

64 posts, read 343,650 times
CapeBretonCutie, Is there any way you could possibly get a job offer first before relocating to Savannah? That is the only way that I could be optimistic about someone relocating here. At least fly down and go on some interviews with local employment agencies here before selling your house in Canada.

You didn't say what line of work you are in. There are blue collar jobs here, things like warehouse work, forklift operators, truck drivers, welding, manufacturing, work at the port. There are retail and hotel and restaurant jobs here. There are medical jobs here with three local hospitals and numerous doctor's offices. The public school system is always hiring teachers. Those are the majority of the jobs that I see listed in the newspaper on a weekly basis.

I've already talked about the white collar job market on previous posts so I won't go into that again.

Last edited by new28moon; 03-19-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: edited for clarity

Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 19,929 times
Thumbs down dont do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeBretonCutie View Post
Hi! My family and I are wanting to move to Savannah in the summer of '07 - but I want some advice before venturing in to relocating. Currently we live in Nova Scotia, Canada. My husband is retired from the Canadian Navy, and I am a U.S. citizen.
Everything I read online in the relocation guide says the economy in Georgia is good. Then I stumbled across this web site and everyone is saying that the wages are low and not in tune with the cost of living. Which is it, because this is of great concern to me. I mean, we have to be able to afford to live. What can you expect in the Savannah area for (give or take with the dollar conversion) $30,000 annually? Is this considered poverty or middle class? And if I feel I need to return to work, what's the work force like?
Also, being from the US originally and even living in Texas for an 8 year stint, I know what true Southerners think of anybody north of the Mason/Dixon line. What type of reception can we anticipate when people find out we're from north of the border? I don't mind so much for myself, or my husband. When he docked in Savannah with the Navy many years ago he said the people were wonderful. But we have a 15 year old son who will need to fit in. Do you foresee any problems there?
Please, guys, don't be afraid to be brutally honest with me. I need to know what we're in for before making a decision that may end up biting us in the butt.
wilmington island is becoming infested with crime both violent and non

Old 03-12-2008, 12:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,444,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenisrael View Post
wilmington island is becoming infested with crime both violent and non
I can well imagine that there may be some increase due to the growth and development of this area but 'infested with crime both violent and non...' might be overstating?

bhs

Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 34,595 times
I second that. I have lived here in the island for 4 years and never experienced any 'violent or non violent crime'. I often forgot to close my garage at night by mistake and never get anything stolen out (knock on wood).

Now don't get me wrong. Downtown Savannah is a totally different story though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I can well imagine that there may be some increase due to the growth and development of this area but 'infested with crime both violent and non...' might be overstating?

bhs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area