Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobin79 View Post
First, I'd like to thank each of you for offering your opinions and time. Our children are almost 2, 4 & 6- so good public schools are a concern for us. Tuition times 3 could break us! My husband is looking to commute no more than 30 miles/30 minutes to Gulfstream so that might open our possibilities. We don't have a particular preference on city or suburbs as long as schools & neighborhood is good. By close to the water, I mean within an hour drive to the beach. It seems as though homes over the SC boarder are even possible.

I guess I'm looking for your opinions on where to look at homes in the area and where to avoid so I have a head start when we come to look. This is nerve-racking to move our family blind, but also very exciting.
You have a lot of options then, with the kids being young.

Check out Ellis the Montessori Academy school... It's a public K-8 school or Garrison which is the performing arts elementary school. Both of these are open border which means you can come in from anywhere.

Ellis Elementary School - Savannah, Georgia - GA - School reviews

Esther F. Garrison School Of Visual And Performing - Savannah, Georgia - GA - School details

For high school if you want college prep, there are two city high schools which are college prep. Savannah Arts and Jenkins... Savannah Arts is the districts Golden Goose, every year kids go to Ivy league and other top schools, they are also consistently top five in the state for SAT scores. A lot of people bash them for elitism but hey they are consistently top tier...

Disclaimer, my daughter went there and is now at Emory.

I live in Coffee Pointe which is a community on the South Side located in the City, there are new construction homes in the community along with resales, we are about 30 minutes from Tybee and 5 minutes from a boat launch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM

46 posts, read 111,209 times
Richmond Hill is certainly an option. Traffic on the 95 where it intersects the 16 will be the only real sticking point as far as the commute is concerned. Dispite the funny name, Pooler is THE happening place to be. The growth is amazing and the selection of neighborhoods and homes will make your decision a tough one. Your husband will definitely appreciate the easy commute to GulfStream too. If you have no real need to live in Savannah proper, then one of the above mentioned communities will provide a great environment for you and your family.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 33,674 times
Hi,
Welcome to Savannah! I've been here almost 7 years from Manhattan. Actually the head of the Security in Gulf Stream was until recently the Captain of the Downtown Police too.

O.K. If you have a family you are looking for private schools for the kids. The city is run by Blacks and all the cousins, uncles, brothers, etc. There are some fantastic people here. I know some great people that I talk to all the time white and Black.

Nevertheless... I have carried a gun for 7 years so that should convey something. Downtown is the best, and between Broughton and probably Gaston going N/S and between Price and Montgomery going E/W is where you want to be downtown. Although SCAD has begun to Gentrify farther south there are still two 'projects' on each end of downtown and the new mile long 'area' has just been created right outside of town East.

Prices for 3,4000 square feet in a nice place are 1.2 to 825,000.00 they have parking. There are a few neat Condo's but they're too expensive. There are some nice areas if you know the area and if you'd like any help please let me know. I've also got a local real estate girl who lives downtown too.

Now, if you already have a family and that's all you really want.. you can live in Pooler which is the next growing place say 10 miles from Savannah. Beauty and the real Savannah is downtown but there is also Wilmington Island too.. More Blue collar but a few great houses there... kinda like Florida with the bad and good next to each other.

There is Ardsley park but definitely check out the area there first... SOUTH of Victory and never west of Abercorn. It's a small place you'll be able to see.

I'm honestly thinking of heading for St Augustine or something lately... I love it, but after Ferguson and the total distortion of reality and Obamination it's getting a bit dicey to be in even Georgia for me. Love it but I don't want the lights to go out either...

There's also no racial stuff here either... we ALL know who the crooks are so it's the fact that there certainly are plenty and because of the way it is they really don't get 'taken out' but simply go in and out of jail and do more crime.

I'm White and 50 so there's really no better place in the country it's just that none of us want all the things that don't really go with most of our ways of living. I guess that's life though and I have never been jeopardy yet so it's just being smart.

Welcome!

RBW

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 33,674 times
Welcome,

Savannah is gorgeous! Downtown is where it is and the rest is basically hick ville and Deep South but if you have a family you may be fine in Pooler if not Savannah.

It's also no racial either... We all know who the crooks are and they go in and out of jail and do it again. There the usual generational poverty but there's also Porsches driving around too ...

Gorgeous and better than anywhere else... just send the kids to PRIVATE SCHOOLS and be careful to be safe.

Between Broughton and say Gaston N/S and Price and Jerfferson E/W is the area to live downtown. farther is dicey each way.

There's Wilmington Island pretty Blue collar with a few great homes... kinda like Florida... and then you get to the south side which is certainly nothing like Savannah downtown. That's merely poor and dicey.

More beauty and charm... People are nicer than anywhere else I've even lived and that's a lot! Black and White all the same great people but there are definitely some poor, uneducated, criminals too.... Just be careful. You'll love it!

RBW

Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
There's more to Savannah than the Landmark Historic District and Wilmington Island!
I'm not sure where you get the opinion of Wilmington Island being blue collar... Far from it.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBWDharma View Post
Welcome,

Savannah is gorgeous! Downtown is where it is and the rest is basically hick ville and Deep South but if you have a family you may be fine in Pooler if not Savannah.

It's also no racial either... We all know who the crooks are and they go in and out of jail and do it again. There the usual generational poverty but there's also Porsches driving around too ...

Gorgeous and better than anywhere else... just send the kids to PRIVATE SCHOOLS and be careful to be safe.

Between Broughton and say Gaston N/S and Price and Jerfferson E/W is the area to live downtown. farther is dicey each way.

There's Wilmington Island pretty Blue collar with a few great homes... kinda like Florida... and then you get to the south side which is certainly nothing like Savannah downtown. That's merely poor and dicey.

More beauty and charm... People are nicer than anywhere else I've even lived and that's a lot! Black and White all the same great people but there are definitely some poor, uneducated, criminals too.... Just be careful. You'll love it!

RBW
What's the point of repeating yourself? I notice you have a few different things on here, otherwise you're saying the exact same thing you said in your last comment.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
The sweeping generalizations betray his short-timer status.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Something like that..

I especially love how he commented how he has brought his gun with him everywhere since he moved to Savannah... and went on to talk about the hicks out of downtown. He could fit right in with 'em!

Hope he knows there are hicks in Pooler mixed in with those transplants.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBWDharma View Post
Hi,
Welcome to Savannah! I've been here almost 7 years from Manhattan.

Nevertheless... I have carried a gun for 7 years so that should convey something.

RBW
"Convey something" ? A 50 year old white guy from "upper East side of Manhattan" carrying a gun?? Unheard of and I'm not joking. I have never ever heard of such a thing other than, maybe, a retired cop. Then again, according to you, that guy wouldn't live in downtown. I hope you don't shoot yourself in the foot. In fact, it might behoove the citizens of downtown (for their own personal safety) that you move to St. Augustine land of the walker parade.

On the subject of schooling "oh just send them to private school." Uh, most people without a trust fund don't exactly understand the mechanics of that. Thought you might not know that.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
I have to agree with this too. my family has lived in the area since the late 1800s. To my knowledge, none of them, male or female, have ever felt the need for a gun. Nor has anyone been the victim of a crime. Savannah has bad areas, yes, and if you feel the need to go in any of them, I suggest you plan ahead.

Schools could be better. But good parents are prepared to take over where teachers fall short. Those that expect the school system to take over for good parenting, get what they deserve.

I would forget about living downtown. It's not what you would call a normal place to raise children. Pooler is growing and will work nicely. It's up to you. You get what you expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area