Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:38 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm viewing his statement for what it is; if you choose to ignore it, then that's on you. And what the heck does Obama have to do with this? Just throwing anything to the wall to see what'll stick huh?
Not really. And I don't choose to ignore certain statements of implied agendas and just leave them on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Not really. And I don't choose to ignore certain statements of implied agendas and just leave them on the table.
^ and this is a good thing pink. Although I don't think this issue should have any discussion about race or Obama.

it is about, they were there originally (well, after native Americans, let's get real) and now the county is artificially trying to kick them out through jacking taxes up hundreds of percent which will at the same time may (not will, but might sometime in the future) result in mcmansions all over the island in 20 years, which would be unfortunate for us all. The fair thing would seem to be, leave the place the way it is, including letting them maintain their existing property tax rates while letting the market dictate rates for new buyers. That's it. The island is already great the way it is now.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Perhaps then you should not view his thinking as "implicitly racist"? Less stress on the stomach. Aren't we suppose to move forward with Obama's "one world" concept ie: one standard? Cuts both way right?

I agree. Especially when you note that I am the token AA on this board.

In other words, I'm a brotha. I'm black. These are my people we're talking about on these Islands.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Yes and I am supporting them. To keep their community and homes. And the beach of Sapelo, like most all our Georgia islands... is for all of us to enjoy. Not the select few who take it over and turn it into a private club. Wait I am getting confused. is anyone referring to me as "his"!? LOL. Or mutiny or who. Anyway this is not or at any rate should not be a racial issue, it is a land planning debate, for the future of a unique area.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Yes and I am supporting them. To keep their community and homes. And the beach of Sapelo, like most all our Georgia islands... is for all of us to enjoy. Not the select few who take it over and turn it into a private club. Wait I am getting confused. is anyone referring to me as "his"!? LOL. Or mutiny or who. Anyway this is not or at any rate should not be a racial issue, it is a land planning debate, for the future of a unique area.

LOL

bud abbott and lou costello who's on first

Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

In other words, I'm a brotha. I'm black. These are my people we're talking about on these Islands.
"Token AA"? WOW.

That makes what you said even worse, but I'm not going down that route.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

There are several regular posters on this board who are black. So much for tokenism.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:40 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
have to confess I had no idea what 912 was getting at. I think I do now?? I meant using a market based approach of keeping taxes at original assessments in order to help the original African Americans that live there now which will also serve to conserve the rustic and beautiful feel of this unique island and their unique culture. If you have not been there it would be hard to understand and so if you have not been there, get there. 912 it aint' far from your area code! About an hour. If you haven't visited, jump in the car, go visit, come back, please share your thoughts. I expect your mind will be blown if you have never been there. In a good way!

I said if people want to build new homes there, this is America, it would not be democratic to stop them. Let them. But also let the original owners maintain historic property assessments unless and until they sell to a new buyer.
Agreed. Neighboring Glynn County has a similar plan in place.
Assessments on primary residences are frozen when owners turn 70. The county keeps track of real assessed values and accrues the would-be additional taxes to be paid upon the sale of the property. It helps the fixed-income crowd hold on to their homes in a area where home values are rapidly increasing.
Frankly, l don't see the merit in lowering the tax boom on a handful of Sapelo residents that have limited economic opportunities. It can't make that much difference in terms of revenue, and most are now quite elderly.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
HERE'S THE THING: There are only a few dozen slave descendants remaining on Sapelo. And when they're gone, you better believe their heirs will sell to the highest bidder. There are NO young people on the island. They've been leaving for years and aren't coming back. And who can blame them? In this day and age, how many young African Americans are willing to live a life of hardship and poverty -- when their ancestors sit on land worth millions of dollars?

The best thing for all involved -- IMO -- is to establish a federally or state operaed historic site that would set aside so much land to preserve the Gullah-Geechee culture and educate future generations. Allow everyone there now to stay without penalty, and those who want to profit from the sale of their property to do so.

My grandfather paid $20/ acre for 100 acres of farmland in 1940. When my grandma died in 2001, she still owned 38 acres valued at more than $3 million. And had not paid one cent in property tax for years.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 AM

Right. If the current African-American residents CHOOSE to stay, they can keep their original tax rate. (which is FAIR because they don't get any government SERVICES) If they CHOOSE to sell, they can. And when yupsters come in and build mansions, then THEY will pay a new higher tax rate.

How this is controversial and warranted everyone attacking and more bizarrely yet calling me racist I have no idea.

News have you been there? There are youngsters. We were told they were going to school. (grade school, boarding the boat on the way out in the morning) Not many, I'll grant you. And that is perhaps in no small part thanks to the greedy (white) County Assessors trying as best they can to kick off all the remaining residents, so they can build McMansions. And, will much of the younger generation sell out? Perhaps. It is their choice. But, let them be the ones to make their own choice. Artificially jacking up their tax rate forces them to sell.

Asking people basically on subsistence living to pay what a yupster would, how on Earth is this controversial here. And, it would be a loss for us all, actually. Once the McMansions go in they'll find a way to slowly chip away at the public land on the rest of the island. Both visitors and residents alike benefit from it being one of the last quiet, serene places in the country. If you haven't been there, then go, enjoy, come back and share your experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area