Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of discipline should public schools use?
Negative reinforcement 2 20.00%
Positive reinforcement 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 PM

48 posts, read 97,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Since you got me a little curious, I looked up this school, which you so helpfully identified in a thread in the teaching forum. I read your THREE one star trashing reviews of this school on greatschools - along with the 21 five star, 1 four star, 1 three star, 1 two star, and 4 other one star reviews written by other parents. I also looked at the school tests scores and demographic profiles on the state website. The bottom line is that they do have very good test scores. Frankly, they have incredible test scores given their demographics. You may not like their methods, but clearly they are doing something right and most schools and school systems can only dream about getting these types of results.

At this point it is unlikely anyone capable of affecting the change you want is going to take your complaints seriously, even if they were originally grounded in actual problematic behavior by the school. I know I wouldn't just based on what I have read written by you, which means it only tells your side of the story. Somehow or the other, according to you, you have even managed to tick off the school board members. This is not an effective way to get the change you are seeking.

You need to come to terms with the fact that what you are currently doing is not working. Not only that, but it isn't beneficial to anyone, including your own children. You are clearly very unhappy with the school and I doubt you have kept that a secret from your children. That generally results in the kids copping a huge attitude towards their teacher, which isn't helpful to your child in either the short or long term. Your child would be far better served in you working with him or her to adjust their behavior so as to avoid negative consequences, whatever they may be - but I have a feeling that is never going to happen. Instead of making everyone miserable perhaps the time has come to look into other options. Are there no good private schools in Savanah?

I highly suggest you try homeschooling, as that is always an option for parents who know better how to educate children than the public schools.
No I will not stop. This information is for the newcomers to the area or those thinking of coming to Savannah. In Great schools you can only write one review. Data is data and you can spin it any way you want. What I witnessed is abuse. It is a negative demeaning punitive environment. Outdated teaching techniques test scores or not.

If you look into the educators forum from all over the US you will hear educators tell their techniques that are more current and modern applying positive approaches. Only here in the Savannah forum am I getting resistance. Hello Administrators in Savannah!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Don't you just love one sided debates? Makes life easy doesn't it?

My problem is I don't know anything about the school district and cannot offer any input. I do know about educating children (at least my own) BUT this would not be the correct forum board for that discussion.

Carry on.
If you don't know anything about this district why are you so involved? You keep coming back to add your comments about a topic you are not familiar with and are not even in the area? Why all the interest? It is not a one sided debate. I have shared many information and questions with the board and the administrators and they have not responded to the questions.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
^^^^^My suggestion for you to move was made way back @ post #25. For your next city/town/school you should improve "your computer skills" since you did mention previously your skills were deficient. I firmly believe that on-line research will get you 90% of the way. Together with school visits, You should find a teaching method that will suit you. (That's not to say, BTW, it will be the best method...but you're director and producer right now.)

Good luck.
I am looking into relocating, I see that is the only option. I will not stop reporting this abusive backwards approach to education. GA appears to be the only state that accepts it as normal. This is not about computer skills issue. When I was searching this area I even toured the school with the principal. All looked good except the teacher yelling at the children to get out of the bathroom and squirting hand sanitizer in their hands instead of soap. No time to wash hands... I did not see information like I am sharing for sure. This school is rated well and the test scores allow a great schools report.

I am the director and the producer and as soon as I get my family to a school district in this century I will come back and fight for the children that are stuck here. The administrators choose to not change because change is hard work and they want to just collect their check while the test scores are good in their demographics.

Since your skills are in abundance I challenge you to not silence the concerns and recommend everyone to turn the other way, since earlier you mentioned you knew nothing about this district or education. Again Pink Caddy in the education forum educators are discussing modern approaches to education and discipline. Punitive is outdated and in-effective. Learn a little there with the links shared then come back.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
I just read through this entire thread. Very fascinating read.

Movingfromwestcoast, you cannot find the solutions to your concerns for the same reason that a fugitive cannot find the police. Ever wanted to know why some teachers yell? Why don't you sit down and LISTEN to them. I mean really and truly listen. Let them pour their heart out as to how they try to get so many lessons done in so short a time, all the while under enormous pressure from principals, parents, politicians, and society to somehow be superteachers in an environment where doing so is damn near impossible. Notice that I didn't say "justify" the reasons; I said LISTEN to the reasons. There is a reason why public school teachers are often the way they are, and that is because they have to put up with horrible students and parents on a daily basis.

Oh, and I troll-responded to your poll with the first option, because your poll sucks. Classroom management is not the simplistic matter that you are making it out to be. Not even close.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromwestcoast View Post
If you don't know anything about this district why are you so involved? You keep coming back to add your comments about a topic you are not familiar with and are not even in the area? Why all the interest? It is not a one sided debate. I have shared many information and questions with the board and the administrators and they have not responded to the questions.
Yawn...and so predictable.
That's my response.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:49 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
I smell Savannah Administrator!

This forum is swarming with administrators in Savannah.
I'd watch my back with this one...seriously.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
In Great schools you can only write one review.
Apparently not, or someone has copied and pasted three of your posts from here over there. I imagine were I to put your original post, or the one about the horrors of the broken music, in a search engine, I will get hits to multiple sites. You are on a smear campaign, at least admit it.

Quote:
If you look into the educators forum from all over the US you will hear educators tell their techniques that are more current and modern applying positive approaches. Only here in the Savannah forum am I getting resistance. Hello Administrators in Savannah!!
I participate in that forum, notice I don't live in Georgia, it was only after I read your stuff on that forum that I looked here. In the education forum we are used to getting posts from parents that describe what happens in their child's school or classroom in a, shall we say, bit of an exaggerated manner. No, what you describe is not the best educational practice if that is what happens all day, every day to the extent you say. Somehow, I doubt that is the case. Even in Georgia, where you have made clear that you think they are a bunch of unenlightened souls not up to your lofty standards, parents don't tolerate their children being mistreated as a matter of routine. It is not just west coast parents who love their children and want the best for them. There is no way all those parents in Savannah would just sit idlely by as teachers berated their kids day in, day out. It might help, by the way, when dealing with those administrators if you acted like you had a little more respect for the people of your new adopted hometown. People generally aren't inclined to assist people who more or less imply they think they are dealing with a bunch of lower life forms.

That aside, the thing is, even the best, most modern of teachers have to raise their voices at times, get frustrated when kids won't listen, and occasionally even get mad. Neither they, nor their students, are robots, but humans. An ill behaved child, with a parent in denial, is a truly banging-your-head-on-the-wall inspiration. As educators, most of us got what is going on here, which is why you had a limited number of replies from experienced full-time teachers on that thread.

It is very easy to say "teachers should _________ or should never ________." It is not so easy to put those words into practice. What people who have never tried to manage a classroom often don't understand is that behaviors that are no big deal when dealing with a child one-on-one can become a major problem in a group of children, especially if they must get certain things accomplished in a specific time period. Kids that talk too much during lunch don't eat their lunch, kids that dawdle while washing their hands cause a backup in the bathroom, kids the meander all over the hall instead of staying in line create chaos, kids that don't behave in class steal instruction time and the teacher's attention from all the other kids in the class. Most days a gentle reminder takes care of those types of issues with the majority of kids, but other days it is like there is something in the water and hardly anyone does what they are supposed to. Also, with some kids, there is no such thing as an effective gentle reminder.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM

242 posts, read 412,981 times
If I had such concerns as a parent I would be ever-present (from a distance) in the school/in the halls/and other areas where teacher/student interactions take place. If I was restricted from such movements by the school (red flag city) I would then resort to tape recordings/cell phones/other forms of communication/capture on my child's person.

Last resort... I'd make sure my child knew they didn't have to listen to disrespectful/abusive talk from ANY employee of the school district....and that no one should EVER TOUCH THEM. (we got beat in school...aka "corporal punishment").

School should be a fun/learning experience , not a military/authoritarian exercise.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I will have to be a little more careful with my posts and spell them out for you so that you understand my style of humor, snarkyness, sarcasm and what-ever.

By "one sided" I meant there is only your voice on this subject posted here. It's a very strong condemnation against the boss of schools. He doesn't get an opportunity to speak and present. That's one sided. You have already stated that he disagrees with you (he by the way is an educator) yet you bring this to a public forum seeking ...............what? That's one sided.

"All forums are locked". You are wasting our time with that gibberich.

I see that you are really frustrated and you are trying to be a good parent but I really think( IMHO) you are in the wrong forum. Not presenting anything other than your opinion as to how to educate a child. What do you except us to do? Go on-line and become an expert on child rearing?
Nope.

Why not, first, study the subject of children's education. On-line, library, at his school with discussions (giving them an op to talk) and determine if your way is the only way or if there is room for the Super's viewpoint.
Wow you are truly moved by events that I have witnessed in the Chatham county school district. I have a 6 page letter to the CAO and five other main players in the district. No answer yet. That is three months old started by serving one of my deadly allergic children peanuts after 3 medical action plans were filed and ten people including but not limited to the Superintendent , Chief Academic Officer, Principal and head of the cafeteria. One sided not sure what you are talking about. I am only voicing my happenings here until i hear an educated response. It is important for anyone who is relocating to this area to hear this research. Thomas and Ann have my email and I have never received an email from them. Not one.

When the leader of this district shouts as an example "Sometimes they need to be shouted at" they are not modern experts. Old boys running the show the way they were taught. No thought put into modern approaches. Look at my data and test scores!

I have a few simple questions to the board and the superintendent to respond to and I have not heard anything from that email either. I posted those questions here.

Pink Caddy you don't need to keep responding to me that you are not interested in what I have to say. If you feel that you don't agree with me than you are free to stop reading. I will continue to post the happenings in the schools as they take place.

The schools do not have an open forum to discuss concerns. I communicate via email with my children's teachers and administration on a daily/weekly basis. The yelling has come down a bit since I have aired some of these concerns out in person, and on line. People are reading. This is information for all Savannah.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-24-2015 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: names

Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Apparently not, or someone has copied and pasted three of your posts from here over there. I imagine were I to put your original post, or the one about the horrors of the broken music, in a search engine, I will get hits to multiple sites. You are on a smear campaign, at least admit it.

I participate in that forum, notice I don't live in Georgia, it was only after I read your stuff on that forum that I looked here. In the education forum we are used to getting posts from parents that describe what happens in their child's school or classroom in a, shall we say, bit of an exaggerated manner. No, what you describe is not the best educational practice if that is what happens all day, every day to the extent you say. Somehow, I doubt that is the case. Even in Georgia, where you have made clear that you think they are a bunch of unenlightened souls not up to your lofty standards, parents don't tolerate their children being mistreated as a matter of routine. It is not just west coast parents who love their children and want the best for them. There is no way all those parents in Savannah would just sit idlely by as teachers berated their kids day in, day out. It might help, by the way, when dealing with those administrators if you acted like you had a little more respect for the people of your new adopted hometown. People generally aren't inclined to assist people who more or less imply they think they are dealing with a bunch of lower life forms.

That aside, the thing is, even the best, most modern of teachers have to raise their voices at times, get frustrated when kids won't listen, and occasionally even get mad. Neither they, nor their students, are robots, but humans. An ill behaved child, with a parent in denial, is a truly banging-your-head-on-the-wall inspiration. As educators, most of us got what is going on here, which is why you had a limited number of replies from experienced full-time teachers on that thread.

It is very easy to say "teachers should _________ or should never ________." It is not so easy to put those words into practice. What people who have never tried to manage a classroom often don't understand is that behaviors that are no big deal when dealing with a child one-on-one can become a major problem in a group of children, especially if they must get certain things accomplished in a specific time period. Kids that talk too much during lunch don't eat their lunch, kids that dawdle while washing their hands cause a backup in the bathroom, kids the meander all over the hall instead of staying in line create chaos, kids that don't behave in class steal instruction time and the teacher's attention from all the other kids in the class. Most days a gentle reminder takes care of those types of issues with the majority of kids, but other days it is like there is something in the water and hardly anyone does what they are supposed to. Also, with some kids, there is no such thing as an effective gentle reminder.
I understand your thoughts and comments are valid. I will be posting my children's comments after I leave the area. You can hear their voices and stories. I will also post the email correspondence from the schools and teachers. My son today told me a situation where he did not respond to a demeaning stop talking response and he was forced int the corner at lunch and he speaks of how it mad him feel and how all his friends saw him in the really bad area.

Leading a class of children is an amazing skill. In no way am I trying to say it is easy or should be perfect. There are personalities who are good at it and then thee are personalities that maybe should do some other profession. Like I asked the principal - Who is monitoring the teachers in the classroom? Who is reviewing them and offering them support and guidance? Who is teaching them current trends and offering them support? Who is hiring and on boarding them? Teachers are also monitoring the students in the lunchroom and during recess. They are not getting enough down time from the little munch-cans because of what I am told limited resources. This long exposure is resulting in demeaning scolding and yelling. It is happening. The response to my questions was "We do not have to answer any questions on how we train out teachers."

I have witnessed organized class rooms in two other states where teachers are able to run their rooms with 25-32 kids without resorting to punitive approaches. Is there redirection and discipline of course. The structure within the schools was different too. The Principle seemed to truly own and lead the school. There was respect and clear leadership. Teachers wanted to be there and work in that environment. Sadly what my family observes seems to be tired teachers. Not all but you see them. Parents at the park. You know the helicopter type who are involved in the elementary school years will talk about the schools. You will hear things like all the good ones (teachers) go to ------------ and -------------- private schools. In the district schools all the washed up teachers hide. I know this sounds demeaning but this is what is said. Add in the friendly Principal who pretends that there is a fostering environment lead by a punitive Superintendent. It makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area