Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The only way that would happen would be if hundreds of additional gas stations opened up in the area. This would not increase truck traffic.
Come on! 100% of all the fuel drawn off at the proposed Richmond Hill facility would be transported by truck. Even if the destination gas stations on a given truck's route aren't in Savannah, those trucks will necessarily be driving through Richmond Hill. Or, are you in cahoots with Elon Musk on some new hypothetical transportation method that we don't know about?

Hollow argument here, 912.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Come on! 100% of all the fuel drawn off at the proposed Richmond Hill facility would be transported by truck.
Of course. But a new terminal does not mean increased fuel truck traffic....unless your customer base grows.

If you have 100 gas stations in a region serviced by a fleet of 50 trucks that obtains fuel from one depot, then overnight, a second fuel depot opens, that does not mean more trucks on the road...as you still only have 50 trucks & 100 stations to service. Do you follow me now?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM

That's funny, because a few pages in this thread ago, you were singing the praises of 25,000 blue barrels of refined fuel being off-loaded in Richmond Hill every day. That equates to nearly 250 trucks that wouldn't have been there before in and out - up to 500 trips a day in little ole Richmond Hill. So, which is it? Will the market be flooded with cheap refined fuels, or not? Remember, those trucks don't have to be delivering fuel to the Savannah market, but they sure do have to travel through it. I'm sure the residents of Richmond Hill will appreciate the extra stress on their thoroughfares.

Throw in the unfair tariff that Exxon and Marathon receive on the fuel coming through what SHOULD be a public utility (if they're taking people's land), and it's pretty clear these guys are just planning on running roughshod over us (or under us, as it were).

I'm not sure why you're buying into the idea of the pipeline with so many clear cut arguments against it. But, I have found good value to researching so many of the issues that this discussion has brought into focus. If it walks like a duck, that's probably because it encountered an oil spill and can no longer fly!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
That's funny, because a few pages in this thread ago, you were singing the praises of 25,000 blue barrels of refined fuel being off-loaded in Richmond Hill every day. That equates to nearly 250 trucks that wouldn't have been there before in and out - up to 500 trips a day in little ole Richmond Hill. So, which is it? Will the market be flooded with cheap refined fuels, or not? Remember, those trucks don't have to be delivering fuel to the Savannah market, but they sure do have to travel through it. I'm sure the residents of Richmond Hill will appreciate the extra stress on their thoroughfares.

Throw in the unfair tariff that Exxon and Marathon receive on the fuel coming through what SHOULD be a public utility (if they're taking people's land), and it's pretty clear these guys are just planning on running roughshod over us (or under us, as it were).

I'm not sure why you're buying into the idea of the pipeline with so many clear cut arguments against it. But, I have found good value to researching so many of the issues that this discussion has brought into focus. If it walks like a duck, that's probably because it encountered an oil spill and can no longer fly!
Not sure where I ever said RH would receive 25k bbl/day, but ok. And as the number of gas stations in our area isn't growing like wildfire, the number of increased trips to RH would equal a decreased number of trips to the Colonial terminal.

You have an agenda, that is clear. It's also clear you're gleaning your info from biased, anti-oil, anti-capitalist sites. I'm refuting you with common sense & years of experience. To reiterate: I am not in favor of companies using governmental powers to seize land for any reason. But that is a fight for those landowners who are along the path of the pipe. Sucks to be them. What would be great though is a completed pipe that brings in jobs & a freer flow of fuels to our area. Pipelines remain the safest & most economical way of moving fluid fuels from one point to another. Far safer than trains & trucks.

Knowing the current administration in GA, you do realize this pipeline will be approved, don't you?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 PM

So, a multi-pronged argument against your viewpoint is necessarily anti-capitalist, eh? I'm sorry you can't base an argument on facts and research, just your own personal experience, opinion and blind ideology. I suppose that's anti-American of me to say? Sorry, but taking people's land against their will in a for-profit venture that doesn't come close to proving public benefit is more fascist than it is capitalist.

I will state my agenda clearly, and I would beg you to stop obfuscating yours. I don't think I've hidden the fact that I don't like the proposed pipeline - for various reasons as I've stated. Yes, I'm afraid we get what we vote for. Congratulations on being on the winning team, politically and otherwise. You had the good fortune of not owning any private property where they want to go, or they'd do the exact same thing to you. I'm sure you'd be advocating alongside everyone who said "sucks to be you, 912." It sure as hell doesn't mean I lose my sacred right to protest those who perpetrate cronyism and corruption. You'd make a good addition to the Borg.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
oh sure it'll be approved 912. That is depressing and doesn't make it right. But at least we stand for quality of our local environment and for it to continue for our children and so on. That is far more important than any economic argument, sorry. Clean drinking water and preventing rivers with zero wildlife far outweighs saving a few cents at the pump which likely won't even happen.

Interestingly even the Chamber of Commerce is on board opposing this pipeline!
Savannah Chamber opposes pipeline | savannahnow.com

They probably know a thing or two about how local business works and what helps vs hurts it don't you think?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:12 AM

808 posts, read 1,014,839 times
Breaking News: Governor Deal is opposed to the palmetto pipeline; may decide to take them to court!(according to wtoc)

Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM

Gov. Deal: State opposed to Palmetto Pipeline plan | savannahnow.com

Wow, this is great! I'm personally writing the Governor to think him. At the end of the day, the state also supported the salt marsh wetland buffers. Good things do happen. And the plastic bags Everywhere bill didn't pass either. Good. Great news!
I'm glad he sees that the Ga coast is one of the last high-quality coastal areas. The tourism and outdoor recreational activities as well as marine resources bring in real money and also make coastal Georgia the best place I have lived.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Gov. Deal: State opposed to Palmetto Pipeline plan | savannahnow.com

Wow, this is great! I'm personally writing the Governor to think him. At the end of the day, the state also supported the salt marsh wetland buffers. Good things do happen. And the plastic bags Everywhere bill didn't pass either. Good. Great news!
I'm glad he sees that the Ga coast is one of the last high-quality coastal areas. The tourism and outdoor recreational activities as well as marine resources bring in real money and also make coastal Georgia the best place I have lived.
The pipeline route doesn't bring it anywhere near salt marsh. He's taking this stance because Colonial Oil has given him some financial "courage".

Old 05-07-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The pipeline route doesn't bring it anywhere near salt marsh. He's taking this stance because Colonial Oil has given him some financial "courage".
That may or may not be so, and actually that doesn't make much sense, seeing as colonial is dwarfed by Kinder Morgan, I know who I'd ask for a payout from if I cared only about money. And I've noticed when people are about to leave office they actually usually start doing the right thing. I'd like to think that's an example here from Gov Deal. But more importantly its route absolutely affects salt marsh. You've been here a while right? Half this county give or take is salt marsh. Same as every coastal county. Oil in rivers moves. And here, it moves two ways. For help, see www.google.com/maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area