Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,135,595 times

Advertisements

This should help with alleviating some of the traffic on 21. I would still prefer a freeway though to really take the pressure off of 21.

Quote:
The extension will start at Highland Boulevard and end of State Route 30. Effingham County will then pick up the Parkway project and take it to Blue Jay Road. The new road is expected to relieve some of the congestion on Georgia Highway 21.

WTOC spoke to one resident who believes the project is a good idea, but knows there are a lot of moving parts to it.

Ken Russell believes something has to be done to help traffic on Highway 21, but there are a lot of moving parts to this project, and perhaps not completely finalized.

"Well they need it, but there are a lot of problems. You got Effingham County, you got Chatham County, and you got the City of Savannah and each one of those guys has to come together," said Russell.
Plans revealed for Benton Blvd Extension to Effingham County - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,941,855 times
Are the drawings pictured where it will begin at Jimmy DeLoach Parkway? I like the traffic circle idea. Classy and logical.

I still believe that this should be prioritized as a 4 lane divided limited access thoroughfare, but I understand they'll take what they get in the short term.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,135,595 times
Do you think officials will try for another T-SPLOST next year or in 2017? I think they should, its the only way I see right now for getting major projects like this sped up.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,265,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Are the drawings pictured where it will begin at Jimmy DeLoach Parkway? I like the traffic circle idea. Classy and logical.

I still believe that this should be prioritized as a 4 lane divided limited access thoroughfare, but I understand they'll take what they get in the short term.
Traffic circles (rotaries) are nice. They move traffic quicker and you can make them look nice with plants and entrance signs!

I have noticed Chatham county though this is their M.O. they build highways piecemeal. isn't that inefficient?

Last edited by SavannahLife; 05-07-2015 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 01:02 PM

68 posts, read 88,423 times
The Chatham County Department of Engineering has posted these maps
GDOT still has to approve the circles
Circles require more ROW and must have Retention ponds

Chatham County Department of Engineering
scroll to the bottom of the home page to see Benton Blvd

The project length is 1.4 miles.

Project Schedule:
Preliminary Plans Complete: Fall 2015
Right of Way Acquisition: Fall 2015 to Spring 2016
Begin Construction: Fall/Winter 2016 (Construction to last 18 to 24 months)

Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,941,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Do you think officials will try for another T-SPLOST next year or in 2017? I think they should, its the only way I see right now for getting major projects like this sped up.
I think there'll be something akin to the TSPLOST, except under a different name and a focus more localized. At some point, they'll get it right. I hope.

This transportation bill Deal just signed however... what a f'n idiot. Okay, yes, we need money for transportation, but we don't need to bite the hand that feeds us.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,586,532 times
TSPLOST = 8% sales tax which means no Fning way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: