Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times

Advertisements

I just remembered one of Savannah's canceled high rise projects
This building would have towered the current "tallest"
Attached Thumbnails
The Unbuilt High rise-full_parker.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 AM

97 posts, read 110,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I just remembered one of Savannah's canceled high rise projects
This building would have towered the current "tallest"
I would love to see more high rises in GA's tier cities!!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
^^^^ Why??

Old 07-02-2015, 05:49 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
You'll be waiting a while. If you want to see them now, best to locate your front window to somewhere in ATL...

Old 07-02-2015, 07:48 AM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
Actually, this building would have been allowed by right. It meets the height requirements (14 floors for the north side of Johnson Square), and the building it would have replaced is considered non-contributing to the historic district. Links below.

Historic District Height Map
http://www.thempc.org/Administrative/Zoning/City/Historic%20Height%20District%20Map_Final%20June%20 12,%202014.pdf

Historic District Contributing Buildings Map
http://www.thempc.org/documents/Hist...0-%20Large.pdf

Now, that being said, the building would still be subject to the Historic Board of Reviews review of mass, materials, details, etc.

I'm generally in favor of a building if it meets the guidelines set forth by the Historic Board of Review (height, mass, appropriateness) and if it's built out of good materials (i.e. real brick and/or stone). And, there is an appropriate place for something like this, which is why the MPC has made allowances for it along Johnson Square.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

I agree ajc. The Historic Board has done well guiding downtown development. I like all of the new buildings downtown in the recent past. Mistakes of a bygone era like the river Hyatt and Hilton replacing DeSoto were as I think most people agree mistakes, and reason for creating the Historic Board. One of the keys to our general city character is a dense mid-rise cityscape in the historic district, as on the map.

I was just walking the other day around Colonial Cemetery noticing and appreciating brickwork on buildings old and new, and how little details like the 1920s-style lamps hanging on building exteriors, large metal or wood doors, window styles etc, blend in to the historic architecture. Little things like fish rain spouts, vintage-style bus stop signs, neat. I feel like I notice a new thing every day!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:03 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Yes I respect the historic district
The only areas I expect to see high-rises in the next ten years are....
The West district (on the port side of the city)
Hutchinson Island (closer towards the Savannah T.E. bridge
and east toward Truman PKWY
I can also see future high-rises in areas like the Medical district or midtown
Macon and Augusta are more than likely to have high-rises

Old 07-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Agree with those. Except Hutchinson Isl, I'd rather see mid-rise. And I wonder if it could carry the weight of high rises, if that is not a silly question?? Being a tiny little island in a river. Anyhow revitalization of the west side will increase public safety throughout the corridor and downtown. Which is why I am pro Kessler Power Plant hotel it is the impetus.

Agree, Augusta more likely to have high rises first. With the big expansions on the base, the university, etc. Macon too probably, given proximity to ATL, the interstate, universities, and its base, etc. Although first Macon will have to decide to stop sprawling and letting swaths of the core decay. So much potential in Macon but just weird how areas like by the river, they are nice, but also so post-industrial and decayed and could be improved with not too much work.

Hm this is good we all seem to be coalescing..

Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post

Hm this is good we all seem to be coalescing..
Not really lol. "All" is you and two other guys, maybe not even from Savannah. I'm in favor of "no- rise". Low and slow is for me. Count me as a dissenter.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:47 PM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
And I wonder if it could carry the weight of high rises, if that is not a silly question?? Being a tiny little island in a river.
Haha. High rises sit on deep foundations. The building sits on columns which go deep into the Earth to anchor into soil or bedrock. The building doesn't actually rest on the surface. It's how most tall buildings downtown are built, even ones not on the river.

http://www.haywardbaker.com/tn_Deep%...s.jpg.img.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area