Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a change of cities and am trying to narrow down potential cities to move to in the next year. I'm currently living in northern Alabama, and while it's not bad, I'm really craving a change in environment and looking to meet new people (ie. people who I haven't grown up with my whole life). I am a single female in mid 20s, so it's very important to me that I choose a safe place to live in addition to a good social scene with people (friend wise and dating scense-wise) around my age. Other cities I have considered are Chicago, Charleston, Asheville, and Nashville. While Chicago used to be my first choice, I'm really not sure that I want to adjust to such a high cost of living....I must admit, that I do enjoy traveling a good bit and I participate in activities, such as boutique fitness classes, so it's becoming very tempting to relocate to an area that has a reasonable cost of living (and is just less overwhelming overall). I am a professional with a graduate degree, finishing up my cpa, so if anyone has any insight on to the job market, that would also be great.

I've read some conflicting opinions about Savannah--some say it's a great place for people in their mid to late 20s with a great social scene, but other things I read say that it's probably not the best place to relocate if those are my requirements.

I'm really just looking for some insight on to the city--any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 PM

974 posts, read 1,138,897 times
For a city of its size, Savannah's social scene is remarkable. The tourism industry's affect on places to meet folks out for dinner and a drink is undeniable. No matter where you move, you need to visit the place first, right? As far as the specific job market for CPAs, not sure about that. But, surely there's always room for someone who's good at what they do.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
I think the" graduate degree, CPA" might be the deal breaker. Although I don't have a clue on the chances of finding that work in Savannah, I would think a city as large as Chicago would offer a better shot at it.

1. Is finding that type of work in the city you choose critical to the decision?
2. If so, how can you determine the chances, one city vs. another, of that happening, without making a visit or move? I'm sure as a CPA you can put together a numbers game. Lol.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,257,833 times
We are a small city with lots of live stuff downtown all the time. it's artsy, it's on the ocean, weather is great. I'd recommend here, or Charleston or Asheville. Never been to Chicago or Nashville. There are lots of yoga and fitness things here. The main sports of Sav are running and cycling, and perhaps tennis and golf. CPA I imagine is great in any city. Safe is easy here, there are just a few dangerous pockets around MLK (it's always MLK, ironically) and along north half of Truman. Stay away from public housing and from Cuyler Brownsville and you will be fine. I recommend the Southside, Pooler, or west county. Or the Islands (Wilmington in particular) if you can find a place for good price. OK enough marketing spiel!

Like caddy said, it's about numbers. Your numbers. Price, what you can make for your job, commute time, your interests, etc. I would visit each city if the place is as important as what you do, then decide. All great places to visit.. I love living in a small city but look forward to visiting Chicago sometime soon. The L Train must be neat.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM

I'm curious to see if the OP ever makes it back around to this thread. I've found myself getting bored trying to gauge when it becomes obvious in threads like that it's just an echo chamber of the regular suspects spouting the same things they always do. Why don't these people read the sticky thread obviously aimed squarely at this exact question? Why don't they have the good grace to participate in the conversation they started? Why are the folks here good enough to indulge them with all sorts of helpful advice? I know.... It's only been 24 hours. Maybe this poster is just waiting for a critical mass of replies, but I have a sneaking suspicion otherwise.

Gosh, I'm waking up as a curmudgeon a lot lately...

Old 08-12-2015, 10:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
I'm curious to see if the OP ever makes it back around to this thread. I've found myself getting bored trying to gauge when it becomes obvious in threads like that it's just an echo chamber of the regular suspects spouting the same things they always do. Why don't these people read the sticky thread obviously aimed squarely at this exact question? Why don't they have the good grace to participate in the conversation they started? Why are the folks here good enough to indulge them with all sorts of helpful advice? I know.... It's only been 24 hours. Maybe this poster is just waiting for a critical mass of replies, but I have a sneaking suspicion otherwise.

Gosh, I'm waking up as a curmudgeon a lot lately...
No, your frustrations are valid. I, too, am growing weary of people coming to this site asking "should I move to (fill in the blank)" and not taking the time to do any research on their own. What's worse, there is no indication from this OP that she has ever visited Savannah. At least she doesn't state so. someone who's been here for a weekend would most likely have a pretty good idea of what the social and single scene is like. It's rather in your face.

But beyond that, how could anybody here reasonably offer advice to someone about moving to Savannah if that person has never visited Savannah? Savannah, as we all know, is a very unique city unlike almost anywhere else. That's why we always offer the caveat, come for a visit first. I cannot imagine someone moving here blindly without any knowledge of it whatsoever outside of what they may have seen in the movies are on the Internet. But people do!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 PM

I'd chalk it up to youthful naivete, but I'm afraid it's probably more than just the young. It's not so much the asking of the question I take any issue with, but the lack of any interest in answers. I mean, did you forget you asked? Or, did you just wander off in your typical aimless way? I gotta stop participating in the "should I move here" threads, for my own health.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
^^^^^Me too. Like the soup Nazi; "No more information for you"!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM

11,363 posts, read 24,315,581 times
Savannah doesn't have a terrible social scene, but it's hard to break into unless you have connections. You're finished with college and are not involved with the arts, so your options in Savannah might be limited.

It also isn't safe or inexpensive. You can't expect to earn as much here as you might in a larger, more economically diverse city.

Come visit. See what you think. It's a great city for a vacation.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Some days I think we're the most cynical bunch on C-D. But we do have fun. I blame the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area