Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I don't have a horse in this race but my observations are: (no problem if corrections are necessary I have very thick skin on this subject))

1. Houses are "cookie cutter" and not inspiring. Built in clusters to satisfy the masses and the builder's bottom line.
2. Like and similar people flocking to all of the above check, check, check points listed. Is there something wrong with this? Perhaps. It's just, that kind of living doesn't make me warm and cozy. Diversity? Can't answer that question as I don't have a desire to live in a community like that.
3. Good schools. Relative issue. From what I've seen so far, there was a reason 150 years ago they sent their children up North to get an education. Trouble is, not affordable any longer.
4. No "soul" in the houses. Hard for me to explain this here in a few words but you need to understand "nabes" of Chicago, NY., to know a house has something more than "lower taxes than...." .

I could go on... but, would rather not as my opinions are very personal and I'm sure do not agree with the masses and my door bell just rang with my order for shrimp and....
Oh no he did-unt!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
1. no
2. guess you've never been here.
3. Huh?
4.See #2 and #3
5. enjoy your shrimp

Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 PM

474 posts, read 587,329 times
Ok. I'm quickly doubting any credibility of this forum and my opinion is slowly eroding.

This forum should be edifying and supportive for people who want to constructively discuss happenings in Savannah. Instead we gripe with each other, which if I were an outsider would make me weary.

In general, the Savannah forum has become snarky, degrading, and base, rife with trolling and cheap snubs at others. My problem with this, is it speaks poorly of Savannah. Just glancing at the Augusta, Macon, and Charleston forums, the topics are generally relevant to local developments. Rarely does it devolve into these antics. But usually, a Savannah topic starts relevant and soon becomes someone biting someone's head off.

With recent hot issues such as poorly run City administration, scandals, and a spike in crime, we should be focused on inviting people to visit/move to Savannah. We shouldn't beat someone up because they missed the sticky thread that likely answers all their questions. We should be welcoming, kind, and paitient as most people are genuinely interested in our fair, but growing, city.

I just think we aren't setting a good example on this forum. And, sure it's an online forum, but this forum still makes an impact, albeit a small one. Google "moving to Savannah" and this website is the third hit.

Stepping off my soapbox. Sorry, I usually try to be objective, but this has really been bothering me a lot.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Ok. I'm quickly doubting any credibility of this forum and my opinion is slowly eroding.

This forum should be edifying and supportive for people who want to constructively discuss happenings in Savannah. Instead we gripe with each other, which if I were an outsider would make me weary.

In general, the Savannah forum has become snarky, degrading, and base, rife with trolling and cheap snubs at others. My problem with this, is it speaks poorly of Savannah. Just glancing at the Augusta, Macon, and Charleston forums, the topics are generally relevant to local developments. Rarely does it devolve into these antics. But usually, a Savannah topic starts relevant and soon becomes someone biting someone's head off.

With recent hot issues such as poorly run City administration, scandals, and a spike in crime, we should be focused on inviting people to visit/move to Savannah. We shouldn't beat someone up because they missed the sticky thread that likely answers all their questions. We should be welcoming, kind, and paitient as most people are genuinely interested in our fair, but growing, city.

I just think we aren't setting a good example on this forum. And, sure it's an online forum, but this forum still makes an impact, albeit a small one. Google "moving to Savannah" and this website is the third hit.

Stepping off my soapbox. Sorry, I usually try to be objective, but this has really been bothering me a lot.
Preach! Ahem ...

But seriously, I don't think the people in the Savannah forum are all that bad especially compared to some other forums. We all generally seem to get along pretty well, and even though I only know a couple of these folks beyond their anonymous screen names I do consider most all of them friends.

As to the increasingly snarky replies to some questions, i'll admit my own guilt to a degree. The problem is that the longer I'm on this forum, the more obvious it gets how clearly clueless many people are who come here to post questions about relocation. I mean really -- if you're considering moving to a place, it's not that difficult to Google it and do a Little basic research yourself before coming here and asking very vague and unanswerable questions. That's what gets my goat. There seems to be a lot of very lazy folks.posting on CD. As is often repeated by the moderators, there are certain things that cannot be answered on this site for liability reasons. And most of these people posting the vague and random "should I move to" threads never even come back to read the replies apparently. That's the most annoying thing of all.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,450 times
I agree - folks aren't unhelpful on this corner of the forum, in my experience. I have found myself frustrated by exactly what NB describes as lazy wanderers who really aren't serious about their research. I still think there's more of that than there are snarky responses. We were just talking about it in another thread only yesterday. This forum can't be the be-all and end-all for anyone who really wants to consider a move here. So, specific questions typically get rewarded with more helpful answers. Same goes for follow-up questions - if there ever are any. It just sort of works that way on this forum, as it does in face-to-face encounters too.

Where this thread is concerned, I don't see any fresh faces. These folks who are quipping know one another well enough by now. Further, have you spent much time in Savannah with actual locals who are not transplants? It's not exactly setup like a recruitment center for newcomers. This place (collectively) secretly treasures obscurity to a certain degree, so all this tourism-come-want-to-relocate-to-savannah business sort of messes with the mojo. I just think it's only fair to demand a certain amount of due diligence on the part of the person looking to relocate. I mean, shouldn't we be more interested in new residents who are willing to do that much?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:54 PM

OK ... we all kinda poke fun at Albania but he's a good kid and it's all in jest. He's a pretty cool dude for being so enthusiastic about his hometown and coming on here and engaging people old enough to be his grandparents. And sometimes when SavannahLife starts going off in tangents I'll use a little good-natured ribbing to try and reel her back in. Pink Caddy? Me and him had it out in private a few weeks ago but now we're best buds again. I could go on, but I think yall get my point.

I approach this forum just like I approach friends gathered at a bar, and indeed many of the things I post originate from conversations I have with friends while I'm out and about town -- friends who don't even know about this forum. This is my little escape and a chance to contribute to something meaningful, IMO. We're a small community here but a very sincere one I believe. None of us would be here if we didn't care about Savannah.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:46 AM

643 posts, read 845,446 times
I'm not really big on the Pooler growth. Speaking of Pooler, had some lady troubles a few weeks ago. Walked from Godley Station all the way to Oglethorpe and Price at 2:45 in the morning. Made it to Ogle at 7:05am. What a walk/jog/run that was!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
I'm done here as well.

Adios.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:55 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post

A lot of us dispise the development model that Pooler follows. Levittown, which I got a snarky laugh out of, is highly relevant.

This is our city. It's my birthplace. I'm a Savannahian. But I don't even live there any more because it got too polished, too corporate, too sprawling, too much like a fantasyland for tourist amusement; so I up and left.

You don't see me advertising my new town, though it favors Savannah's squares thirty years ago. I like historic settings and interesting communities with all of their warts, bumps, oddballs, and dreams. Adding more people to the mix should be done carefully and with great calculation. Too many and you kill the golden goose. Too few -- then nobody's home

Old 08-15-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'm done here as well.

Adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area