Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 34,146 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about W. 34th St. My daughter is looking at an apartment there and I'm wondering if it is a good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 AM

11,363 posts, read 24,315,581 times
Unless it's right on the corner of Bull and 34th or no farther west than Barnard, I'd have to say "not so great". She needs to stay between Whitaker and Lincoln once she gets that far south of the historic district.

There is still a glut of good apartments downtown because of the recession. Tell her to look farther north.

Last edited by ellie; 05-10-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

737 posts, read 2,449,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Unless it's right on the corner of Bull and 34th or no farther west than Barnard, I'd have to say "not so great". She needs to stay between Whitaker and Lincoln once she gets that far south of the historic district.

There is still a glut of good apartments downtown because of the recession. Tell her to look farther north.
For what it's worth...
Last week's Pennysaver has pages of them.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM

42 posts, read 132,320 times
Especially with all of the "recent" development in apartments/condos. I had a few friends who went to SCAD...they had a VERY luxurious place downtown...I think 5 of them? 5bed apartment...it was in the neighborhood of $1200/mo?

That's not bad, either. Especially considering the area, and quality of house.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times
I am going to be moving to the area and attending scad in the fall. I am relocating from Boston, MA and am visiting next month to look at apts with my boyfriend who will also be attending scad. Being grad students we don't really care if we are living where all the other scad students live. I just want to be sure it's safe. I was thinking near anderson hall would be good to have access to the scad shuttle but now I'm reading some posts that make me question this area (412 east anderson st).

I also thought about looking at the historic eastside area close to water street. The places look nice and well maintained and a bit further from campus, but I'd compromise that for a nice location. I also looked into some of the apt complexes and ones that seem to heavily advertise to scad are gg1 and sustainable fellwood. The prices are appealing but I am worried that they are in questionable areas. Ardsley park also looks nice but are the mid forties streets okay? I didn't want to be too far south, but I don't really know.

I would love to live in the historic district but I'm having trouble convincing my boyfriend that we can afford it. I think I'd give up some space for location but he'd rather have more room for a yard/porch for grilling and to let our dog roam around. We also are sharing one car, so I don't know how realistic it will be to live further out, but any opinions on this would be appreciated.

I think I'll have a better idea when I actually get to visit next month but being for only a few days, I hope to have a strategy for the apartment hunt before I get there, so if there is anything that can be crossed off my list I will take suggestions!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 AM

42 posts, read 132,320 times
Last night driving through Downtown, there were tons of kids out and about. I was on Liberty street at about 11:45, and I noticed a good number of kids walking around, some in groups, some alone. There was one girl walking her dog by herself at nearly midnight in the middle of downtown.

Either they're all cocky, or it's a decent place.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 PM

11,363 posts, read 24,315,581 times
Of course the historic district is a decent place. I lived there for years and years and rarely had a problem. It's the neighborhoods around the edges that are variable.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 16,129 times
Beware that the real estate agents will charge you a lot more if you tell them you're a SCAD student. A typical one bedroom apartment runs around $500-$600 in a decent neighborhood. Knowing that SCAD students are often from the north or areas where rent rates are higher, and knowing that they are picking out their first apartment on the internet with very little knowledge of the neighborhoods, they'll rent a one bedroom in the ghetto for $800/month to a SCAD student. And the SCAD student will say, "that's a good deal for an apartment in downtown! what a good deal I got!" Just letting you know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area