Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 16,572 times

Advertisements

I am in search of somewhere to move. I currently live on the north shore of L.I.. The cost of living is too high here and the culture is not healthy. My husband and I have 3 small children. I do not like the busy and overbooked lifestyle here. I want something more laid back and less keeping up with the Joneses. I am fed up with the traffic and over development.

I admit, I am probably considered a "city girl" by most standards. I could never live in NYC but I am not comfortable without people near me. I could never live in the woods, surrounded by darkness with the nearest neighbor miles away. I want neighbors, just not on top of me like L.I.. I want somewhere with a real sense of community. Somewhere that has mainstreet parades, movies in the park, Easter Egg hunts etc. My husband and I are active in our church. A community with a thriving Lutheran church would be a big plus!

Criteria:
within a 4 hour radius from NYC
2,000+ sq ft house
4+ bed 2+ bath
2+acres (I want neighbors but some privacy)
reasonable taxes (below 7k)
looking to spend around 300k

Need a distinct mainstreet/downtown area
not too touristy
distinct seasons
educated population (high rate of college education and professionals)
Farm stands

A good school system is VERY important to me. I prefer smaller and more personal schools as opposed to large districts. The current school my children attend is rated a 10 from Great Schools and is a NY Blue Ribbon school. The graduating size is around 215.

Within 20 to 30 minutes:
movie theater
Target
Trader Joes or similar store
mall
an L.L. Bean would be great

Employment:
I am a NYS certified science teacher and hold a master's degree. I have been home with my kids. I am not sure if I want to teach FT or just sub and tutor. I like being a very involved mom. My children come first and I would like to move somewhere that 2 incomes isn't necessary.

My husband is a network admin. He needs good connectivity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:17 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
You do realize you posted in the Savannah, GEORGIA forum, right?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
You do realize you posted in the Savannah, GEORGIA forum, right?
I was a third of the way tru the posting when I had the very same question. LOL

Old 12-14-2015, 05:53 AM

I am interested however what is the meaning of "....the culture is not healthy" (North shore L.I.)

Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up. It's my first time using city-data. I posted in the appropriate forum now.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM

I feel that the culture on LI isn't healthy. Everyone is overbooked, stressed and rushing around. People are too aggressive and rather rude.

Put it this way, while at the mall with my 3 kids I've had people aggressively walk in front of my kids while I was holding the door for them. Who does that? Who pushes children out of the way while their mom is holding the door so they can get in (nearly knocking into me in the process)? Mind you, it was a LARGE bank of doors. Probably about 8 double doors that were not being used. But the person HAD to go through the door I was holding open for my children. That is the level of rudeness here.

It is way too expensive here. 10-12k taxes are the norm for a family house in a good district. The traffic is awful. All the parents are working all the time. I have been a stay at home mom and there are no other mothers around for me to make friends with and do play dates. Everyone puts their kids into child care because they have to work. I couldn't do that! I enjoy raising my children and cherish my time with them. Plus the job market is awful here so even if I wanted to, I couldn't get a job. There are no jobs for teachers. Districts have been laying off due to declining enrollment. Enrollment is declining because it is so darn expensive here to raise a family. All the mothers are MUCH older than I am also. I met my husband young and we had our first when I was 23 and he was 25. Everyone here has their kids in their late 30's.

I just don't feel this is the place I belong.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM

I'm going a little off "topics concerning Savannah" but what cities are you thinking about to help with your laundry list? Have you considered Charlotte NC?

Where do you live on the North shore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: