Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times

Advertisements

Well, at least from my perspective, I am on a budget and can't afford a steep 15% commission fee to a realtor that could be tens of thousands. Sometimes they are useful, usually not, I and my friends have found. However, we are in to real estate. Comparing cost per sq ft, look at school districts (they have a map page for that Savannah, GA - Official Website - Maps & Property Search: SAGIS), look at all the key parts of a house, a neighborhood etc. Some people do not want to get in to that or want to leave it to a professional; in that case I suppose you would want a realtor. You'd probably just as well off talking to LOCAL people that have been here a while, and looking yourself and on Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values | Zillow. (zillow does rent and for sales)

Go to local events while here if you can. The culture here supports the arts, live music, and events, and outdoor education (i.e. Oatland Island, Skidaway Institute/State Park, Wormsloe). If you come here, and have time, after looking at neighborhoods, visit Wormsloe. Also if you find your top couple neighborhoods, be sure to visit them on a weekday and weekend, and at least once in the day once at night to get a feel, and talk to people if you can.

I am an admitted Savannah cheerleader, it really is such a great town, rather progressive actually. I think it may appeal to you. Only way to ever know for sure, is a thorough visit. Let us know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 11:45 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderblue View Post
These responses have been exactly the information I have been looking for. This will mean that I will have the most effective use of my time when I'm in Savannah.

Since I'm not from the area, do you think it is to my advantage to use a realtor to find me a place or am I better off looking for myself?
I think by yourself would be better especially for the $$$$ you want to spend. Real estate agents really are not interested in driving you around for a $800-900 rental. Beside on your own you will get to see the neighbor hoods.

While you're there and you have some questions on downtown properties feel free to contact me and I'll give an opinion...FWIW. lol

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 11,105 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I will be there at the end of March and my daughter and I will be apartment hunting without the assistance of a realtor........

Old 12-23-2015, 10:01 AM

202 posts, read 231,292 times
Here's an article that might help some. It also discusses other neighborhoods.

Things to do in Thomas Square Streetcar / Starland District, Savannah: Neighborhood Travel Guide by 10Best

Old 12-24-2015, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,721 times
@elderblue

So please don't use Zillow or Trulia when looking for a place to live. Use a real professional dedicated to his or her clients. There are many to choose from and they are very knowledgeable. My biggest issue with people who use zillow and trulia is trying to serve them well after they have been exposed to the lies of those sites. Get a Realtor who you develop a relationship with and stick to him or her. It is the best way to find a suitable place.

However a Realtor cannot tell you what is a good or bad neighborhood but the Realtor will give you a resource to use so that you can come to that conclusion yourself.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Well, at least from my perspective, I am on a budget and can't afford a steep 15% commission fee to a realtor that could be tens of thousands. Sometimes they are useful, usually not, I and my friends have found. However, we are in to real estate.

Well that is just wrong. It is obvious you do not know anything about this. Realtor commission is NOT 15% first and second as buyer there is nothing to worry about as all REALTOR fees are covered in the listing agreement with the seller or landlord.

The best way to look for a home in any city not just Savannah is to use a professional dedicated to this service.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:10 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
There are good Realtors, and there are bad ones. I'm afraid there are many who are not worth the typical 6% commission they charge. The "highly experienced" Realtor who "sold" our last house here in Savannah didn't do a thing but list it (with superior photos that I personally took), and encourage us to spend money to make it look spiffy (which we obligingly did). After 10 months on the market, he had shown it just two times. In the end, another Realtor closed the deal. When we had to scramble to find a new house here in town in 30 days time, he did nothing to help us, and annoyingly tagged along when we went to look at a few that we found on our own, making asinine "insights."

I will choose not to judge all Realtors by this guy. He was worthless, and I cringe that he got to keep 3% commission when the other Realtor did all the selling work (Thank God). I will be MUCH more careful in who I select as our Realtor next time around. Seller beware!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 11,105 times
Thanks for all the insight. I'm doing some homework now to use my time wisely when I visit in March

Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 AM

89 posts, read 86,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanGarciaKW View Post
@elderblue

However a Realtor cannot tell you what is a good or bad neighborhood but the Realtor will give you a resource to use so that you can come to that conclusion yourself.
Do you know why they cannot advise people about this? Is it to avoid any appearance of bias or something?

We are avid researchers so we can take care of it ourselves but having someone assist who is much more familiar with the area would be a plus.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,590 times
Personally, I looked for myself and was pleased with the results. Depends on how much time you have. Keep up posting here and you'll get help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area