Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:54 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

I was astonished when I met my daughter on Tybee last weekend at the funky, counterculture veneer that the island has acquired, and all in a matter of a few years it seems. We rented this great little rainbow-colored cottage and just wandered the streets for four days. My sense of things is that the arts community is really beginning to impact the overall ambience of Tybee and has added a layer of funky charm that l didn't feel years ago. I love the new tradition of painting the cottages in bold, tropical colors...you don't see that on St Simons or Hilton Head, really. I really did get a sense of Key West before the cruise trash descended upon it.
Are any of you locals observing anything similar here? Are you feeling as positive about Tybee's future as l am right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 02:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Tybee Rainbow Days was last weekend; which explains the large numbers of gay men, lesbian women and drag queens wandering the streets by day and barhopping at night. Did you catch the Pride parade?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:37 PM

Also, Tybee Island is now the go-to shooting locale for any motion picture set on a beach. Any beach. Anywhere. It's hosted a half-dozen movies in the past two or three years alone, including SpongeBob 2, Dirty Grandpa, right now the huge Baywatch movie and live-action Little Mermaid.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Tybee Rainbow Days was last weekend; which explains the large numbers of gay men, lesbian women and drag queens wandering the streets by day and barhopping at night. Did you catch the Pride parade?
Just missed it. My daughter got there before me. She went biking and got sucked into the fray. She was flabbergasted that Tybee had this going on.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Just missed it. My daughter got there before me. She went biking and got sucked into the fray. She was flabbergasted that Tybee had this going on.
Sucked ... Into the fray?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 AM

202 posts, read 231,269 times
The Cottages all used to be white. They got repainted for the movie before last. Can't remember which one. I like the colors, too.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
I have given serious thought about moving out to Tybee in the last 3 months, mainly due to my job being completely virtual I no longer have to drive to Jacksonville to report to work 2 days a week.

How are the sea breezes and daily temperatures compared with Savannah?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I have given serious thought about moving out to Tybee in the last 3 months, mainly due to my job being completely virtual I no longer have to drive to Jacksonville to report to work 2 days a week.

How are the sea breezes and daily temperatures compared with Savannah?
I would imagine they are favorable compared to Savannah. It's the easternmost point in Georgia, exposed to the sea in three directions.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
I would imagine they are favorable compared to Savannah. It's the easternmost point in Georgia, exposed to the sea in three directions.
I live in Savannah now, but the summer is brutal to say the least, I would move a lot further south but my wife is a tenured professor at Armstrong. I just have never spent a lot of time on tybee after 5 or 6 o'clock and am wondering if the temperature drops into the low 80's vs. the low 90's for the rest of Savannah from June thru Sept.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, I don't think even many locals realize that Tybee has beaches on three sides, and even a small section of beach on the back side that you can access via the boat ramps / parking areas along Chatam Avenue.

If you park at the lighthouse, walk out to the beach and go left, there's almost a mile of sand stretching around the island's north beyond the jetties. The waves aren't spectacular but the beach is always fairly lonely and quiet. Only people who use that beach are residents who know about it and guests at the campground, beach and tennis club or some of the condos on that end.

That part of the beach has, in the past, been referred to as the "gay beach" for reasons I shall refrain from expounding upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area