Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:26 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Yes, Aldi's going behind Longhorns in Pooler. Not official yet but I heard from a reliable source they are securing that lot for a store.
Great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 01:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would like to see Lidl gradually increase store count than rush into an unhealthy growth by opening too many stores at once. If there are more stores in Georgia to warrant another distribution center, Lidl could consider the idea.

I have expected that they would start with just one distribution center and maybe about 50 stores. I was already surprised that they bought a fairly expensive representative office building for their HQ in Arlington (VA) for $77m. When they announced to start the construction of a second distribution center, I thougth, wow, they must be pretty confident that their business model will succeed. Meanwhile, with the announcement of the third distribution center, I think they are somewhat megalomaniac. They have also announced to open stores in western Pennsylvania (around Pittsburgh and even around Erie). Therefor they would need a forth distribution center.

Since a few years Lidl is extremely successful in Europe. But the grocery market and the consumer behavior is definitely different in the U.S. With so many distribution centers and stores it could be quite expensive if they have to adjust their business model to the preferences in the U.S. And empty shelves at the beginning could lead to a devastating reputation. I'm not sure to which extent it's possible to plan a store format just theoretical. Lidl had some start-up difficulties in some European countries. For example the Swiss customers hated it that there was no space directly at the checkout to bag the groceries. Lidl had to replace all checkouts with a redisigned one.

In Greenville (NC) the construction work for a Lidl store has already started . I assume that the first Lidl stores will open already in 2017.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM

I am looking forward to the experience of something new and different, but I still will probably do most of my shopping at Publix. It looks like LIDL will have zero customer service, just like all the other stores I never shop at.
I don't really care to pay for a cart, bag my own groceries, and load them myself.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
The new city hall is looking good, but it's out of place in suburban, sprawling Pooler. Perhaps they should've gone more modern or big box type instead. Ha.

Really though, hopefully they'll start to invest in an actual downtown to build up some much needed density which won't contribute so horribly to traffic issues out there.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid, on the latter.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am looking forward to the experience of something new and different, but I still will probably do most of my shopping at Publix. It looks like LIDL will have zero customer service, just like all the other stores I never shop at.
I don't really care to pay for a cart, bag my own groceries, and load them myself.
As Aldi and Lidl are limited assortment/discount grocers, I do not expect them to invest much into service. Their stores have minimal staffing.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The new city hall is looking good, but it's out of place in suburban, sprawling Pooler. Perhaps they should've gone more modern or big box type instead. Ha.

Really though, hopefully they'll start to invest in an actual downtown to build up some much needed density which won't contribute so horribly to traffic issues out there.

I agree. They say that the building will look more in context once the landscaping is completed, but I have my doubts. I think the building is stodgy and pretentious, and would have preferred it to be a more contemporary design, reflecting the up and coming city.

Not sure what you mean by downtown, but if you mean the area around the city hall, there are a lot of small changes going on there, and I think there is a focus on growing and improving it. The new complex has already started to generate new businesses around it. I live on this side of Pooler so I see the changes, where someone passing by might not. There is also a lot of house flipping going on in the residential areas behind the post office, which is very healthy too.

Two big issues in that area that the city really doesn't have control over, are the dismal library, and the woefully inadequate post office. I hear they are working on a new post office location. Also, Pooler elementary is an armpit, compared to Godley Station, so that will keep young families from moving to this side of Pooler.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

I believe the plan to is build a new "downtown" like Bluffton did (there was nothing there 20 years ago) with the City Hall as centerpiece.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 PM

474 posts, read 588,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I believe the plan to is build a new "downtown" like Bluffton did (there was nothing there 20 years ago) with the City Hall as centerpiece.
That's definitely the plan. They're even waiving the development fees along Highway 80, hoping to encourage new businesses to enter / reinvest in the corridor. Often these fees (which include water/sewer tap fees, permitting fees, etc) can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Hope so, that would be great. There is a family here who owned a lot of land in Pooler. The family is still pulling some strings and steering things somewhat. They will no doubt be working towards this sort of thing in order to increase the real estate values.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Lidl is a little bit less hard discount, it's considered to be more soft discount. Something like a hybrid between a discount store and a supermarket.
Lidl will have an instore bakery but they don't will have meat, cheese and fish counters. In contrast to Aldi you can choose most of the produce freely (not prepecked). The stores will be a little bit more fancy, and they are about double the size. Most likely that Lidl will have self-checkouts.
I'm pretty sure that Lidl carts will have this deposit system, and no bagging service.

It's a little bit hard for me to understand that putting a quarter into the slot is an issue. But I also don't understand why Aldi in the U.S. don't provide free cart chips to their customers, especially in the U.S. where paying with coins is so uncommon.

In Germany even the most upscale grocery stores don't offer a bagging service, they also don't carry your purchases to your car. When an elderly customer would ask for such services, then they would get assistance, at least at traditional supermarkets. At discount stores they sometimes help challenged customers by bagging the groceries, but that's all.
Service in German supermarkets means normally good consulting at the meat, fish and cheese counter and advices like which wine fits best to venison. Or when employees accompany customers to the product they are searching for.

We shop mostly at Aldi and Lidl, but I can understand when people stick to traditional / upscale grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area