Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,634,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
One of my good friends from high school and her husband live in Hopewell Junction and love it ...
If you can earn over 100K a year here, of course it's great. I'd fully stay if there were living wage jobs that match what the COL is here. Median income in 82K. We are at 57K-before taxes . My land and school taxes are now over 8K. My health insurance is 9K, my car insurance and home is at 6K. It's just too much for us. I have had so many job interviews here to make a lateral move with another district and keep getting grievances thrown at the process since the unions have wanted people promoted from within-and it's the same one I pay my due to also. What's the sense of passing these tests if you can't get hired?

Hubby has tried and tried to get a decent job here. He went back to school for HVAC. Interview after interview and still nothing. Construction is about dried up here-as a ready mix dispatcher he says unless you see concrete mixers, you don't have a health economy. IBM dried up here-11,000 were laid off. Texaco is gone, all our manufacturing is long out of here. For us to stay, we have to drive to Westchester County or lower to commute by train to NYC. I don't want to spend 8 hours and work and 2-4 hours commuting daily.

I want work to have a life. Not just work and have no life. That's where I am at right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:04 AM

49,999 posts, read 63,325,358 times
That sounds bad Camping Mom. I know many costs will be more favorable here... for sure, property and car and home. I would think a good HVAC tech could get a job anywhere. There's a company on DeRenne Ave that is always advertising for help.
I hope you have a fun week down here.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 AM

23,314 posts, read 43,776,504 times
If you're up for a 45 minute drive, this place is well worth it. Besides, you might run into Ben Affleck.

Welcome To The Old School Diner

Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That sounds bad Camping Mom. I know many costs will be more favorable here... for sure, property and car and home. I would think a good HVAC tech could get a job anywhere. There's a company on DeRenne Ave that is always advertising for help.
I hope you have a fun week down here.
I think the area has much to offer. It's why we keep circling back to it. Some of our friends think it's a bad idea. But those also rarely travel or have financial worries. It's hard to walk away from a home we built in our 20's and hoped to live in until our time here was done on earth. But too many factors say go where the COL is better in line with what is earned. One "City" Beacon, NY just 5 miles from us is now known as Brooklyn North. Why? Because of the BoHo feel. Also because of it, rents and housing prices are becoming outrageous. 1 million dollar condo/artist lofts out of old factories here. 3,000 a month to rent. It's not locals earning that I assure you. Long Island and Westchester people are moving here in droves. And pushing all our services higher as our taxes go way up. In 1992 when we built our home, our taxes total were 1600 a year. I just got the school tax and we are officially over 8K. On a 2000 sqft-4 bedroom, 2 bath cape cod on 1/3 of an acre.

I pray we find our new home in the area. And jobs that we aren't just working to work. I want to stop and smell the roses again along the way. Not be stressed and lose sleep nightly over it all.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If you're up for a 45 minute drive, this place is well worth it. Besides, you might run into Ben Affleck.

Welcome To The Old School Diner
Yum! Hubby LOVES grouper! Might have to try this one out! Thanks!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:47 PM

Ok, we have a full day with the agent on Friday for house hunting. Now, we are looking at homes in Guyton, Rincon, Coffee Bluff, Springfield and Bloomsburg. Now, for the locals. As we nixed looking at Ardsley Park-took close to the city and heard mix reviews about the area. We both prefer a quiet area. When I looked at Coffee Bluff-it was super quiet as well as Springfield. We've changed our criteria a bit-looking for homes 1600sqft to 2100sqft. I don't mind being further out. I'd like to be away from traffic as we get deluged here from I-84 enough when there are accidents and the local roads get clogged where it takes 2-3 hours to get congestion out of here.

We arrive Wed. to camp out on Tybee Beach. Give me local places to check out-grocery stores, shopping. Ways to get around. I am beyond excited. What grocery stores are out near Tybee? I need to get groceries while we are there. I know where Camping World is as I stopped in there as it was across from the hotel I first stayed at-got to get TP for the camper.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,635,633 times
What does a 2100 sqf house cost in Coffee Bluff?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What does a 2100 sqf house cost in Coffee Bluff?
I went to see two-one was $199K and needed work, still on the market. The other was $239K and just went into contract. And there's one we are going back to see again that's $229K.

They are out there in our price. We could spend out everything we sell ours here for, but that's not smart. I want to hold onto a nest egg-we lost it all in 2008-09 when we had a car accident and hubby's job wouldn't hold it for him as he was about to start a new job and he broke 3 ribs, cracked 2 and his sternum in multiple places and I shattered my ankle on black ice in 2009. Nothing like having two parents out of work, having to keep health insurance and roof over one's head to lose everything. in NYS, working in school district and being paid by public funds, I was not eligible for disability insurance.

I don't want to keep up with the Jones. And I don't want to keep paying 8K in taxes anymore. There are plenty of homes on the market down in the areas we've targeted between $165K to $250K. All non-HOA and while they maybe further out, that's fine by us too. I don't want to live in downtown.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:11 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Ok, we have a full day with the agent on Friday for house hunting. Now, we are looking at homes in Guyton, Rincon, Coffee Bluff, Springfield and Bloomsburg. Now, for the locals. As we nixed looking at Ardsley Park-took close to the city and heard mix reviews about the area. We both prefer a quiet area. When I looked at Coffee Bluff-it was super quiet as well as Springfield. We've changed our criteria a bit-looking for homes 1600sqft to 2100sqft. I don't mind being further out. I'd like to be away from traffic as we get deluged here from I-84 enough when there are accidents and the local roads get clogged where it takes 2-3 hours to get congestion out of here.

We arrive Wed. to camp out on Tybee Beach. Give me local places to check out-grocery stores, shopping. Ways to get around. I am beyond excited. What grocery stores are out near Tybee? I need to get groceries while we are there. I know where Camping World is as I stopped in there as it was across from the hotel I first stayed at-got to get TP for the camper.
There's an IGA grocery on Tybee, but your best bet is to make the 10 minute drive back to Whitemarsh Island and the Publix at Islands Town Center. There's a Walmart there as well but it doesn't have full-service groceries (because of the lease agreement with Publix). There's another smaller Publix and a Kroger on Wilimington Island as well (turn left onto Johnny Mercer Boulevard right after you come off the causeway to Tybee). But the Kroger is being renovated / expanded and is currently a mess.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There's an IGA grocery on Tybee, but your best bet is to make the 10 minute drive back to Whitemarsh Island and the Publix at Islands Town Center. There's a Walmart there as well but it doesn't have full-service groceries (because of the lease agreement with Publix). There's another smaller Publix and a Kroger on Wilimington Island as well (turn left onto Johnny Mercer Boulevard right after you come off the causeway to Tybee). But the Kroger is being renovated / expanded and is currently a mess.
Thanks, I remember going by them last spring while I was scouting out the area. We'll stick with the Publix. I have my Kroger card, but trying to find things when a store is renovating can be like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area