Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,596 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm a twenty-one year old bisexual comic artist seeking a slower pace of life and friendlier community! After graduating high school in Iowa, I moved to the Twin Cities, and am just exhausted with the more reserved culture and the crazy pace of life here. I really miss the friendly Iowan warmth and honesty. However, I'm an adventurous soul at heart and would love to try somewhere new!

I'm looking for a more historic city with a thriving arts community. SCAD looks wonderful, and I love the architecture of Savannah!

A few questions about the city:

Have you worked as a waiter in Savannah? What was that experience like?

Does Savannah have an active LGBT community?

Is the job market as bad as people say?

Are there many local art and food festivals? Are there many options for vegetarians?

Is Savannah a walkable city? Would I have to drive long distances to get to a decent grocery store?

Do most coffeeshops and restaurants close early?

What is the rental market like? Is it especially difficult to find affordable, pet friendly housing?

I currently carry mace around with me in Minneapolis--would this be enough for protection in Savannah, or would I be safer owning a gun?

I'm currently trying to decide between Savannah, San Antonio, Spokane, Portland, LA, and New Orleans! If anyone knows any lower cost, LGBT friendly towns, let me know!! Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
^^^^
I have two questions for you:

1. What is the reason that you are carrying Mace and why do you think there might be reason to carry a gun?

2. Did you get answers from the San Antonio forum board, because I am interested in their responses.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I think you would fit in great here, although I doubt if mace would make much difference if one of the street punks decided to shoot you. Chances are that you would probably not get shot unless you like to score drugs at 2am.

Lots of waiter jobs, SCAD is cool, and the LBGT community is vibrant. There is always a music, art or food festival happening.

Savannah is very dog friendly, gay friendly and has a youthful vibe. It is not, however, comparable to the NW at all. The zeitgeist is more conservative here. Of the cities you mention, we are most like New Orleans, but less seedy and decrepit.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Wait? Since when are they not friendly in the Twin Cities?!

They're great up there! I don't think you're giving them a chance.. and unless you're living out in the suburbs or St Paul, it's not conservative either!

Hmmm....

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

They're great up there! I don't think you're giving them a chance.. and unless you're living out in the suburbs or St Paul, it's not conservative either!

Hmmm....
Them there winters are not for everyone.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Them there winters are not for everyone.
She's from Iowa. I'm sure she can handle it.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^
I have two questions for you:

1. What is the reason that you are carrying Mace and why do you think there might be reason to carry a gun?
I work at a bar and often finish work around 1AM. ^^" It makes me feel safer! I've read many forum posts on this board about the crime in Savannah, so I just thought I'd ask!

Thank you, gentlearts!!! You've definitely made me excited to look more into Savannah!! I want to take a couple trips there this year and this summer to make up my mind. It sounds like a pretty good fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport

I've lived here for a couple years, and have had a lot of trouble making friends up here! Many people are friendly, but can be hesitant to let new people into their circles. There seems to be a big distinction between genuine friendliness and politeness here, too--I could just be running in the wrong circles, though!

And yeah, haha, I can definitely handle the cold!!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 AM

46 posts, read 111,120 times
Savannah is an interesting town. I suggest you consider CAREFULLY your living budget, as this will directly impact what neighborhood you live in, and therefor the "quality of life" you will experience in Savannah.

The downtown area is what most people think of when they consider moving to Savannah. It is both beautiful and the safest part of town. If you cannot afford to live there, you will be making serious compromises regarding the "look" of the neighborhood (those beautiful architectural gems are all over, but predominately downtown) as well as safety (the local police and sheriff do a great job making sure the tourist populated part of town stays safe, other neighborhoods, not so much).

Savannah is unlike any other town I've lived in, in that the neighborhoods and the "feeling" of an area can change block by block. Where you ultimately live will be the single most important decision you will make and will have the greatest impact on whether or not your "Savannah Experience" will be a good one or not.
Choose carefully Grasshopper.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:08 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light-Zone View Post

Savannah is unlike any other town I've lived in, in that the neighborhoods and the "feeling" of an area can change block by block.

100% spot on!

Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times
As someone who knew the good and bad things about Savannah, I'd like to warn you about wages/salaries. Savannah is a tourist town and wages are typically low. If you work at JCB, Gulfstream or another large company you get fair compensation. Waiting tables, as you know you'll survive on your tips. Apartments/room are expensive, and can be hard to find in the "downtown" area. You'll be in competition with SCAD students. There is a chain grocery store kinda in the downtown area - it's known as "Cracktown Kroger" because it truly borders cracktown. Go during the day - you're fine - other times - not so good. You're in for some weather shock, humidity like you've never seen. and in the "winter" its cold and damp - cuts right through you.

Before you start slamming me. I knew what I was getting into - I had family that attended SCAD and lived there for several years afterward. I knew the "if you're not a native your going to have a hard time fitting in, being accepted attitude", and I still gave it 4 years. I love Savannah, it was and still will be a favorite town to visit - spent so many weekend there the Hotel Staff referred to me as a resident for a couple of years, but I know, it's not for me as a home base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: