Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:34 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

This is big for Savannah, hopefully it will become year-round...
Quote:
The nonstop flight will operate six days a week departing Toronto at 12:35 p.m. and arriving at 2:50 p.m. The return flight will depart SAV at 3:20 p.m., arriving in Toronto at 5:35 p.m. The service will operate through October 15, 2017.

“Getting direct Canadian service has been one of our top priorities for some time now and it is rewarding to see that our hard work has finally paid off,” said Greg Kelly, airport executive director.

“Our air service development partners at Visit Savannah, Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce, Savannah Chamber of Commerce and Savannah Economic Development Authority were all part of the effort that led to this announcement. We appreciate Air Canada for giving us a chance and we know that this connection will be very successful.”

Trip Tollison, president and CEO of SEDA, agreed.

“When people go back and look at the history of our airport, this announcement will go down as one of the most important milestones - the first direct international flight service,” he said.

“This is a great achievement for Greg and his team. SEDA is happy to play a small role in expanding air service delivery for our region.”

Air Canada also announced new service to San Antonio and Memphis.

“These new routes will further solidify Air Canada’s position as the leader in the Canada-U.S. transborder market and as the foreign carrier flying the most to the U.S,” said Benjamin Smith, president of passenger airlines for Air Canada.

“Apart from linking Canada’s largest cities with popular U.S. destinations, these new and expanded services will also serve to channel traffic to and from our domestic and international networks through our major airport hubs, contributing to the success of our ongoing global expansion.”
Air Canada to start Toronto-Savannah flights | BiS | Business in Savannah News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Yay! Now SHHIA (SAV) can officially say it is a true international airport!

Old 12-07-2016, 03:02 PM

474 posts, read 588,125 times
Have they built a Customs and Border Control checkpoint in the terminal? I know they have a remote one in a hanger, but a big selling point to get international flights was to have this in the terminal.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Have they built a Customs and Border Control checkpoint in the terminal? I know they have a remote one in a hanger, but a big selling point to get international flights was to have this in the terminal.
Passengers on Air Canada flights bound for the US go through US Customs and Border Control at the airport of origin (in this case Toronto) and are thus considered "domestic" on arrival in Savannah. I'm assuming it works the same in reverse.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Departing_to_usa.aspx#

Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
NOT TO GLOAT OR ANYTHING ... but this is a HUGE win for Savannah in our long-running rivalry with Charleston. Air Canada briefly flew from Toronto to Charleston in 2001, but canceled the service after 9/11 and never returned. Last year, a small Canadian carrier called Porter Airlines announced (to much fanfare from the Charleston media) the return of international flights with seasonal service from Toronto ... but it failed miserably and was discontinued.

Would be interesting to know what kind of negotiations / closed door meetings / incentives / etc took place to woo The Maple Leaf to Savannah over Charleston!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
It's good news for tourism industry business, I suppose, although to call it a HUGE win is a bit of an overstatement. More directly, it's just one more immaterial part-time flight route not designed to carry Savannah's citizens to anywhere but longer airport security lines. Bah humbug!

Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Newsboy.. I had no idea they discontinued Porter into CHS. Do you know what happened?

Coastal, News isn't overstating anything. It's an international destination finally giving meaning to the name Savannah-Hilton Head INTERNATIONAL airport.. The New York of Canada, Toronto. It isn't some one way destination for snow birds to escape from. It IS a true two way destination. Savannahians would be doing a great service to themselves by checking out Toronto.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:43 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
I've been to Toronto, and it's great. No disparagement intended for that great Canadian city, or its merit as a tourist destination in its own right. I misread the announcement on the paper's site, and didn't realize it was 6 days a week, if only for a commitment through the middle of next October. That is impressive. Bah humbug rescinded!

Old 12-09-2016, 01:16 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I think it further underscores Savannah's burgeoning reputation as an international destination. It has a little to do with Hilton Head as well, which is also cutting an ever widening swath in the world. I believe I saw recently that HHI is now the #1 island destination in the mainland U.S.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think it further underscores Savannah's burgeoning reputation as an international destination. It has a little to do with Hilton Head as well, which is also cutting an ever widening swath in the world. I believe I saw recently that HHI is now the #1 island destination in the mainland U.S.
Agree, Lovin'. Savannah and Atlanta are the two GA cities on the radar nationally and even internationally. This new air-passenger route, the West River St. plans -- they show the city's growing vitality. I'm also seeing Savannah mentioned (even if in passing) as the southern city par excellence in novels, TV series, and general news references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area