Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM

27,267 posts, read 28,333,820 times

Advertisements

I went to the historic district, Ellis square, riverfront, Forsyth Park, did the carriage ride, dined at Paula Deens, etc.

It was nice, but I thought it was less well-kept than Charleston, which I also visited. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,511,906 times
That's it? LOL

Savannah has more rough edges than Charleston (with historic buildings that are just as well-preserved) and that's part of its charm and it really works for the city. The grit, the natural landscape (abundance of live oaks, river location), the layout (grid with squares), the built environment, and the social environment (laid back, a bit rowdy but not overly so, Southern charm and hospitality) all combine to form something really special.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,259,597 times
Paul Deen lol tourist trap stuff isn't Savannah you need to visit again and get around more, deeper into historic district, out to Wormsloe or something. Charleston is lovely. It has ocean! But..How about this to contrast... you can't tell if things are real or fake sometimes they are so painted over. It has about 5% of the trees. No city anywhere else in the south has the amount of trees that Sav does (that I know?). The cities are similar but not the same. That's intentional haha. Comparing to Charleston has been done to death. Let's agree they are both great and people should come visit them both a lot!!! (Do in one trip!)

Old 12-30-2016, 01:36 PM

50,004 posts, read 63,325,358 times
Savannah wouldn't be Savannah without a slight case of decrepitude. Next time, maybe op should go to NOLA first. Then we'd look all pink and shiny.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,635,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It was nice, but I thought it was less well-kept than Charleston, which I also visited. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Really! what do you think members of CD Savannah are going to say?? LOL.

Post in CD South Carolina -Charleston board, same question, and you'll feel better.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:39 PM

27,267 posts, read 28,333,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Savannah wouldn't be Savannah without a slight case of decrepitude. Next time, maybe op should go to NOLA first. Then we'd look all pink and shiny.
I went to New Orleans a few years ago. Savannah actually reminded me of New Orleans somewhat.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Savannah and would revisit. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was gorgeous inside.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
I went to the historic district, Ellis square, riverfront, Forsyth Park, did the carriage ride, dined at Paula Deens, etc.

My thoughts are that you should have stayed for more than just a few hours. Sounds like you made a pitstop.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was gorgeous inside.
... but on the outside?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:20 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,635,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... but on the outside?

He'll do that the next trip. Hey! not so fast.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,634,518 times
I fell in love with Savannah my first trip. 5 more times for college visits, I knew it was where I needed to be. The toughest critic? My Hubby. He's not stepped foot into NYC more than twice in the 30+ years we've been together-hates cities. He was stationed in Germany and knew the types of cities he preferred-ones with history and character. So when we came down, I thought for sure it would be just another place on the vacation list and he wouldn't want to be a permanent resident.

I lost that bet. He fell for the city too. It's charm, the rougher edges mentioned, the way it's laid out and for him, the history he's chomping at the bit to learn in depth. Added bonus-fishing just about anywhere he wants. And Tybee Beach is a hidden gem for a quick afternoon fishing trip for him.

Charleston-eh, no. Pretty buildings, but not as pretty all together IMHO.

Savannah has OH, so much more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area