Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,160,738 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to see this major project moving forward. I really want to see how this development turns out because the westside needs some love....
Quote:
2017 may be the year the Savannah arena in Carver Village gets the green light. Over the last year, new plans have come in for the build not only for the arena itself but a new business district along the Springfield canal.

“If we can get the right development around there and the right small businesses in the area and location, then we can have an impact that continues you know instead of a hundred days of the year it can be three hundred and sixty-five days a year,” Deloach adds.

The plans for more business development around the arena was not the only big move for this project out of 2016 in fact an election of a new member to the Chatham County commission was a big move because he is a strong proponent of seeing this thing done.

That commissioner is Carver Village neighborhood president Chester Ellis who pushed hard for the city and county to keep the arena on their master plans.

“We worked with the blueprint, we had neighborhood meetings with the folks who were doing the blueprint for the county and we have been a part of that since day one. Now that the arena is coming into fruition that will be a part of it as well because that will uplift that neighborhood,” says Commissioner Ellis.

Ellis did not say he would make it a priority for the commission, but it remains one for him as a neighborhood leader. Right now all of the land north of Gwinnett street and on the west bank of the canal belongs to the city. Mayor Deloach wants to not just see an arena on site but favors the idea for private investment and development around it.
New commissioner, new plans could prove critical for the future of the Savannah Arena | WSAV-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:07 PM

450 posts, read 461,381 times
What are they going to do if this turns out to be a great location and businesses start buying out the homes in carver village to bulldoze them for a hotel or stores? The same people that want the development will be bought out and move away destroying the neighborhood. I know this is a bit far fetched but I wouldn't want to live by any arena.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
What are they going to do if this turns out to be a great location and businesses start buying out the homes in carver village to bulldoze them for a hotel or stores? The same people that want the development will be bought out and move away destroying the neighborhood. I know this is a bit far fetched but I wouldn't want to live by any arena.

Pretty much everyone in Brooklyn by the arena agrees with you on that.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Isn't that what zoning ordinances are for?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times
Variances.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Large parts of Carver Village NEED to be bulldozed, just saying. At least maybe the current property owners would get far more $$ selling than they would now.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Large parts of Carver Village NEED to be bulldozed, just saying. At least maybe the current property owners would get far more $$ selling than they would now.
It's just not as easy as sell now or...this kind of deal (like the building taken place off
Abercorn was 10 years in the making to get enough chital mass to build. That was phase 1. I know people that are in "Phase 2" on the selling side. The group, as usual, is splintered... I'll sell now and move on" or in the case of the people I know, "I'll sell later and get a 'bigger' price".

Now, my example above is a private undertaking. I don 't know what happens when a city wants the property.
Not everything is eminent domain. That's a different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area