Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ll just add that I was by there yesterday, and there is a whole lotta something going in there. All the streets are in and all the underground utilities and fill dirt are done. No signage to give clues, though.
I have been watching that as well. They have spent a lot of money so far. I am waiting for the announcements to start. I did see a small 4-5 store strip advertised on loopnet on one lot at the Westbrook entrance. Also, found the new apartment complex doing a lot of work just behind this whole site along I-16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:47 AM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
I have been watching that as well. They have spent a lot of money so far. I am waiting for the announcements to start. I did see a small 4-5 store strip advertised on loopnet on one lot at the Westbrook entrance. Also, found the new apartment complex doing a lot of work just behind this whole site along I-16.
Supposedly, it’s like a done deal with Costco, or they’ll end up on Jimmy DeLoach. It’s jot a matter of if, just when. The loopnet plan the small strip center shows a warehouse retail store with fuel anchoring the development. It also shows another big box that definitely resembles a Kroger footprint.

The other outparcels are already in development. Chick Fil-A is going across from Parker’s at Blue Moon. Starbucks has also been rumored.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Supposedly, it’s like a done deal with Costco, or they’ll end up on Jimmy DeLoach. It’s jot a matter of if, just when. The loopnet plan the small strip center shows a warehouse retail store with fuel anchoring the development. It also shows another big box that definitely resembles a Kroger footprint.

The other outparcels are already in development. Chick Fil-A is going across from Parker’s at Blue Moon. Starbucks has also been rumored.
They strip center I am referring to is on an outparcel. From what I have heard the big area layout has changed based on some interest they have.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:50 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
I have an update n 703 Louisville Road. Apparently, the original developer who was going to redevelop the site as a 140-unit student housing development, fell through on his plans and sold the property in April of this year to a new developer, WEDP-FUND I, LLC. Instead of developing the site as student housing, the new owner will now develop the site as market-rate housing featuring 250 apartments. At their 20 November city council meeting, the city agreed to the 1.64-acre site to the developer. The project will act as a"Gateway" project for the city's planned Canal District. The developers will also construct a retaining wall along the Springfield Canal. Below is a rendering of the "Gateway" Project, plus a link to the city's agreement.
703 Louisville-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Agreement:http://agenda.savannahga.gov/content...ville-road.pdf

Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM

That will be incredible if it actually turns out like the rendition!

Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I have an update n 703 Louisville Road. Apparently, the original developer who was going to redevelop the site as a 140-unit student housing development, fell through on his plans and sold the property in April of this year to a new developer, WEDP-FUND I, LLC. Instead of developing the site as student housing, the new owner will now develop the site as market-rate housing featuring 250 apartments. At their 20 November city council meeting, the city agreed to the 1.64-acre site to the developer. The project will act as a"Gateway" project for the city's planned Canal District. The developers will also construct a retaining wall along the Springfield Canal. Below is a rendering of the "Gateway" Project, plus a link to the city's agreement.

Agreement:http://agenda.savannahga.gov/content...ville-road.pdf
Isn’t this where the historic train depot / warehouse is located? It was supposed to be integrated into the previous proposal. I don’t see it anywhere in these renderings.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Isn’t this where the historic train depot / warehouse is located? It was supposed to be integrated into the previous proposal. I don’t see it anywhere in these renderings.

I believe the plan is still to incorporate the old freight depot into the building. It will be interesting to see how that is done though. I'm just happy to see that the plan is still alive and has been upgraded by the new owners. I think this project will certainly help boost the plans for the Canal District. I hope this project has a commercial component as well.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 AM

The alternative newspaper, Connect Savannah, so far is the only local media outlet reporting about 703 Louisville. As expected the city approved the sale of the surplus land to make way for this project. Alderman Van Johnson was the only voice arguing that more affordable housing is needed downtown. Perhaps in the future, the city can require a 20% set aside for workforce housing.

Quote:
Alderman Van Johnson, in whose First District the apartments will be located, questioned the need for more apartments marketed to the relatively affluent.

“I’m concerned about the ability of people on normal salaries to live there. Market-rate housing can be quite high and I’m concerned about that, and remain concerned that we don’t have places within the city core for folks to live,” said Johnson. “Is this a place where your run of the mill alderman can live?”

To which Shay responded, “I think the idea is it would be middle-class affordable for sure.”

Johnson worried about the likelihood that the rent at the new development would continue to rise far beyond what the average working person in Savannah can afford.

“Once this area grows, the fact of the matter is it becomes much more valuable,” he said.
https://www.connectsavannah.com/sava...t?oid=11156371

Old 11-28-2018, 12:38 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
The alternative newspaper, Connect Savannah, so far is the only local media outlet reporting about 703 Louisville. As expected the city approved the sale of the surplus land to make way for this project. Alderman Van Johnson was the only voice arguing that more affordable housing is needed downtown. Perhaps in the future, the city can require a 20% set aside for workforce housing.

To me Van Johnson is saying..

The people they are targeting are affluent & will not probably vote for me...

Old 11-29-2018, 06:37 AM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
Quote:

Unless the City is funding the project, I don't see how they can mandate affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area