Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times

Advertisements

Costco's been trying to build a store close to where I live here in Florida, and though the area would be classified as middle-class/affluent, Martin County has far fewer residents than Chatham County. The main reasons the store isn't already building are the "anti-development" county commissioners and the NIMBY attitude of Palm City residents. Though the story says Costco wants to build on 28 acres, about half of it would be preserved/curated wetlands with retention ponds, etc. I don't think it will ever happen here, though, because the anti-development types have reflexively denied such companies for years.

http://archive.tcpalm.com/news/shapi...388710151.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Costco's been trying to build a store close to where I live here in Florida, and though the area would be classified as middle-class/affluent, Martin County has far fewer residents than Chatham County. The main reasons the store isn't already building are the "anti-development" county commissioners and the NIMBY attitude of Palm City residents. Though the story says Costco wants to build on 28 acres, about half of it would be preserved/curated wetlands with retention ponds, etc. I don't think it will ever happen here, though, because the anti-development types have reflexively denied such companies for years.

Costco
I've never heard of anybody ANYWHERE in Floridia being "anti-development."

Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Costco's been trying to build a store close to where I live here in Florida, and though the area would be classified as middle-class/affluent, Martin County has far fewer residents than Chatham County. [/url]
Still not a fair comparison with Savannah-Chatham, which is relatively far poorer. I am always shocked (appalled is more like it) whenever I visit hometown Savannah and notice the endemic poverty all around. Martin County FL isn't poor. It's a small county on I-95 sandwiched between counties that are even wealthier -- St. Lucie, Palm Beach -- and willing to pay the annual Costco fee and patronize Costco. You can't compare coastal Florida with coastal Georgia. Can't do it.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM

474 posts, read 587,815 times
Costco Real Estate Criteria

Costco's general criteria right now are markets of 200,000 people and infill markets. i.e. Savannah / Hilton Head would be prime consideration because it's triangulated between existing Costco stores in Charleston, Augusta, and Jacksonville.

Also, I'm pretty sure the developers of Okatie Crossing in Bluffton having been trying to lure Costco.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Still not a fair comparison with Savannah-Chatham, which is relatively far poorer. I am always shocked (appalled is more like it) whenever I visit hometown Savannah and notice the endemic poverty all around. Martin County FL isn't poor. It's a small county on I-95 sandwiched between counties that are even wealthier -- St. Lucie, Palm Beach -- and willing to pay the annual Costco fee and patronize Costco. You can't compare coastal Florida with coastal Georgia. Can't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Costco Real Estate Criteria

Costco's general criteria right now are markets of 200,000 people and infill markets. i.e. Savannah / Hilton Head would be prime consideration because it's triangulated between existing Costco stores in Charleston, Augusta, and Jacksonville.

Also, I'm pretty sure the developers of Okatie Crossing in Bluffton having been trying to lure Costco.
Costco was going to build 10 years ago on the President Street site (across from Pennsylvania) where the Mariner's Grove apartments now are. This wasnt mere speculation or rumor, this was FACT -- widely reported in the media. But the deal fell through for some reason. So I don't know where this "Savannah is too small and poor for Costco"' notion is coming from.

At any rate, I suspect Costco will probably choose to build in West Chatham if and when the time comes.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I suspect Costco will probably choose to build in West Chatham if and when the time comes.
Totally agree -- but that time obviously hasn't come. It's no hardship for a national chain to find a space in a small southern metro like Savannah, even near residential areas that would optimize their customer base. Only the Historic District would be prohibitive (cost to rent/lease as well as to provide a large, well-heeled clientele).

Old 01-19-2017, 02:17 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Quote:
I've never heard of anybody ANYWHERE in Floridia being "anti-development."
I know, right? It's a unique (if occasionally irksome) situation, but the chief benefit is that towns like Stuart have retained that "old Florida" flavor to an extent.

It's actually a blessing in disguise that Savannah River Landing hadn't started its development plans prior to the 2008 housing crash. So many housing and commercial developments started down here in the mid-2000s (esp. in St. Lucie County) and were simply abandoned after the financial crisis. Many of them still sit vacant (and crumbling). A large, empty tract of land like SRL is a lot more attractive than something that looks post-apocalyptic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area