Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 28,426 times

Advertisements

Okay, please enlighten me with the goings on in Savannah/downtown/River Street on this crazy day. I tried to reserve parking downtown and it's already too late. What should my sister and I expect? I have been in Savannah for about 11 months and missed last year's celebration. We plan to drink, have fun, make new friends. Anybody have any great personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:35 PM

53 posts, read 48,358 times
The last time I was downtown for St. Patrick's was in 2008, having dinner with a friend from out of town; the power went out and we had tornadoes and such. I was almost killed driving home because everyone treated the dead traffic lights as a free-for-all.

Nowadays I don't go east of I-95 that whole weekend if I can avoid it.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Big crowds. Lots of drunks. Terrible traffic. Impossible parking. The last time St Pats fell on a weekend was 2012 on a Saturday and there were 1 million people at the parade. This year it falls on a Friday and the weather forecast is perfect -- sunny and mid-60s -- so I'd expect about half a million at the parade at least.

Entry into the festival zone (River Street north to Broughton including all of City Market) is $10 per person this year (for security and cleanup) which *MIGHT* affect the size of the party crowd.

This photo is from about 20 years ago I think:

Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
If I was going, which I'm not, I'd take a shuttle from Pooler. Now, I believe there are fewer ferries running, so parking on Hutchinson Island is impractical. Parking over there and taking the ferry used to work out pretty good.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM

30 posts, read 28,426 times
Well, I may regret it after going. I really don't like elbow to elbow crowds or obnoxious drunks but I do want to check it out since I know it's a big Savannah tradition. We can always escape to other areas like Congress Street if it gets too much. Hopefully it's somewhat tamer there.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustGirl2016 View Post
Well, I may regret it after going. I really don't like elbow to elbow crowds or obnoxious drunks but I do want to check it out since I know it's a big Savannah tradition. We can always escape to other areas like Congress Street if it gets too much. Hopefully it's somewhat tamer there.
I really enjoy the crowds and being a part of the festive atmosphere. We get out after mid afternoon, so we've never been there when the drunks are in full flower. The thing is, the thought of getting there, parking, and being able to get out when I want to, keeps me from going back. Also, while I don't object to the wristband thing, for me, who can make do with about 2 drinks the whole time I'm there, the $10 seems a bit excessive.

Everyone should go at least once. It really is special.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I really enjoy the crowds and being a part of the festive atmosphere. We get out after mid afternoon, so we've never been there when the drunks are in full flower. The thing is, the thought of getting there, parking, and being able to get out when I want to, keeps me from going back. Also, while I don't object to the wristband thing, for me, who can make do with about 2 drinks the whole time I'm there, the $10 seems a bit excessive.

Everyone should go at least once. It really is special.
To clarify, the wristbands are only necessary if you want to drink and carry. You can enter the festival zone and drink INSIDE restaurants and bars without taking to-go cups out on the street. At least that's my understanding.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustGirl2016 View Post
You're unlikely to avoid elbow to elbow crowds or obnoxious drunks. Those two things pretty much define St Pats in Savannah. But it IS something that everyone ought to experience at least once IMO. It truly is a sight and spectacle to behold, and you'll come away with a greater appreciation for Savannah the other 364 days of the year.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
To clarify, the wristbands are only necessary if you want to drink and carry. You can enter the festival zone and drink INSIDE restaurants and bars without taking to-go cups out on the street. At least that's my understanding.
Yes, I know. Our habit was to drink Bloody Mary's before and during the parade, and then carry around a beer. Not exactly big drinkers. The $10. thing is not as big a deterrent as the parking thing.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM

89 posts, read 86,331 times
For those of us not so much into big crowds and drunks - what ELSE is there to do on St. Patrick's Day? I'm guessing as long as you stay out of downtown everything else operates with normal amounts of people, etc.?

Does Tybee get mobbed in its own way as well?

Asking for future reference.

Last edited by PJMaddoxRox; 03-18-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area