Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 26,661 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the Investment Industry in Savannah, GA??

I am interested in possibly relocating to Savannah, GA thru my current employer (one of the top investment forms world-wide).

The problem that I am having is this....I am black. I am 100% positive that they think I am white (as I am from California and do have that CA "accent"). I do not want to relocate with my daughter after interviewing over the phone only to move there and them to find out that I am an African American Female. Then 2 months later I am looking for another job.

Is anyone that currently resides in the Savannah Area familiar with the investment industry and whether or not it is diverse or predominately white???

Please respond.

I need facts. Have you been to an investment office? Have you seen people of color? Do you think I would have a problem?

Please help!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Just guessing, I'd think the firm you applied to would be proud to have an African American woman working for them. Legally, you know it makes no difference. Most major firms actively seek out qualified minority employees whenever the workforce seems unbalanced.

So, in this case, though they may be a bit surprised, you're very likely to be well-appreciated.

As far as your original question regarding how diverse investment firms are, I'm not sure. Seems the one I used a few years back was mostly white, but I wasn't really paying attention to that sort of thing. Many local banks seem to have a large percentage of black employees. After all, the city is over 50% African American in population.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
After thinking a bit about the diversity of the investment company I used, I may have taken a bit narrow view of the company's actual make up. My financial adviser was gay and one of his bosses was Jewish. Another adviser, who I got to know later, is female.

So though their skin color was relatively pale, none of the three people I was actually acquainted with were technically non-minorities.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I don't know how it is in the investment industry, but in the banking industry, I would say it reflects the general population. The same holds true for our hospital administrations, our universities and schools, and just about any other group you could name. Sure, there may be individual offices with problems.....some prefer to hire only those of a certain religious affiliation.....but generally speaking, the City is not like that.

It may interest you to know, that our mayor is African-American, as is the majority of the city council. They range from very dark to very light in skin tone. I doubt that anyone would ask what you are, or if they would care if you do the job well.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get here. However, if you come looking for slights, you may find them. Just consider the source and forget about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks for responding. My mom is highly paranoid that, if i decide to proceed witht he transfer, that they will earn that I am black and find a way to manage me out and then I would be unemployed. I, however, don't mind taking the risk.

I think Savannah is a beautiful place and I would only come with an open mind. You kind of do get what you expect. I expect nothing but a great and positive experience and know that i will have one if I make it one.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I think that your mother is right in a way. If you come, trying to HIDE that you are considered black, and then they find out, I think that they may misunderstand your honesty or intentions. And that would count against you. Not what you are, but what you were trying to do. hmmmm, maybe I didn't make that clear. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. This could be just the place for you.

I really find it difficult to believe that the Investment Industry would care more than other businesses. I just don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 PM

....hmmmm, I just happened to think....did the person you talked to identify him/herself as being white or black? Not all of us "southerners" sounds as they do on TV and in the movies.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:03 PM

No, they didnt identify themself as being one race or another. Not that I would expect them to. My concern isnt that I would be working in a white office but that They may hire me to work with someone who would prefer someone white...

You know what?

I dont even care....I'll make it work. My mom tries to get in my head. I'm grown and I am not as concerned about it as she is. In fact, I'm not concerned at all...

End of discussion.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area