Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The National Park Service recently released an Integrity and Condition Assessment of the Savannah National Historic Landmark District, conducted at the request of Historic Savannah Foundation. The report recommends Savannah’s district be placed on the “Threatened (Priority 1 List),” meaning the city’s National Historic Landmark District has suffered, or is in imminent danger of, a severe loss of integrity."
Study: Savannah's Historic District in 'imminent danger' - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-22-2018 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Sucks for the new development.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
New development within the HD sucks (much of it anyway). Those who want "more development" can live in Warner Robins.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Sucks for the new development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
New development within the HD sucks (much of it anyway). Those who want "more development" can live in Warner Robins.
So what do you propose we do with all the vacant lots, crumbling buildings (abandoned power plant) and mid-century ugliness that’s long outlived its purpose?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:05 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Savannah is not a bubble. Development is going to happen. Better care should be done to ensure the city retains its character.

A good start would be when the civic center is demolished and an old square is restored.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Wandering, that would be good. News, the existing crumbling buildings yes, we should preserve structurally. The midcentury or ugly stuff maybe not. I like seeing old bricks. I was thinking, sometimes it seems like papering over the brick with concrete and fake 'historic' stuff looks kind of weird, like you may as well just build new. The Powerplant Kessler hotel I was so excited about. But you know what, it's barely what I expected. They only left the smoke stacks.

OK, I'll be honest, I like the size and general character of the city as is. Sure, infill as per the Oglethorpe plan. But giant hotels with min wage jobs, perhaps we can do better. It is a bit ironic as well.. tourists come here to see the historic district. Personally, I'd rather have more trees and open area, and see historic buildings put to re-use and with new businesses. Or incentivize reuse. In fact, as a half-serious philosophical question; why do we need so much growth, in general? If population stays about the same does a city die? I mean, won't the same amount of people continue to visit restaurants and businesses? Nevertheless Wandering is right the city will grow anyway. If it does, How about put the large hotels, tall buildings etc west of MLK or even closer to 95, to build a new urban core vs the HD. Is that crazy?? Maybe there is compromise? For now, with all the variances it seems like the hotels get everything they want every time. At least maybe we can use this as pausing point to take stock?

Last edited by SavannahLife; 03-22-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
It should be remembered that while much midcentury architecture may not be considered as beautiful as older architectural types, we are already living in an era where midcentury architecture is starting to be considered as historic. It would be a shame if we repeated the same mistakes towards that architectural style as we did towards 18th, 19th, and early 20th century architectural styles during the WW2 era and afterwards.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:19 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So what do you propose we do with all the vacant lots, crumbling buildings (abandoned power plant) and mid-century ugliness that’s long outlived its purpose?
Why does every vacant lot need to be filled with a building? crumbling buildings can be restored depending on the degree of crumbling.

Soo I live in PHilly and take a lesson on development gone wrong. Philadelphia as everyone knows is considered the birth place of America, yada yada yada constitution Hall, Betsy ross house, Old city, Elfreth's Alley (supposedly the oldest residential block in America), unfortunately during the housing boom the city allowed developers to run amok and unchecked. Translation, cheap glass and plastic monstrosity that are square and look like vertical cargo shipping containers have gone up all over the place.

Now after realizing it was really gutting the city and making it look like a watered down Chicago, the city is trying to reverse the trend. Houses and neighborhoods in Old city and else where that are original command top dollar simply because they have character.

Now I'm coming from a visitor/hope retiree relocator view point but I would hate to see that happen to Savannah and it would definitely influence my decision about relocating here.

Savannah must have a historical preservation society? can they help

Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
nice post eliza. I was thinking, we should endeavor to maintain enough room to replant the next generation of live oaks, and put curbs beside them. They are our secret sauce. And walking around this week, the azaleas never cease to blow my mind!! Hm it would be so neat if they had an azalea that bloomed even more of the year. Oglethorpe Ave is quiet spectacular now! I love all the trees and plants around the city. I hope that's kept up through time.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It should be remembered that while much midcentury architecture may not be considered as beautiful as older architectural types, we are already living in an era where midcentury architecture is starting to be considered as historic. It would be a shame if we repeated the same mistakes towards that architectural style as we did towards 18th, 19th, and early 20th century architectural styles during the WW2 era and afterwards.
Quote:
It would be a shame if we repeated the same mistakes towards that architectural style as we did towards 18th, 19th, and early 20th century architectural styles during the WW2 era and afterwards.
I know two prime examples....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area