Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

Good news for the Savannah, I hope this trend continues....

Quote:
Savannah ranked second among Georgia’s 14 metropolitan statistical areas with a 3.8 percent unemployment rate, down 0.3 percent from last month. The rate was 4.5 percent a year ago.

Butler noted that jobs, employed residents and the labor force all increased again. At the same time, unemployment claims dropped.
Savannah jobless rate drops to 3.8 percent - Business - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2018 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
There were 3004 active job listings for the month. What would be the reason the unemployed have as to why they can't secure a job? I am seriously interested in all answers other than the trolling about "black equality" .

Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
There were 3004 active job listings for the month. What would be the reason the unemployed have as to why they can't secure a job? I am seriously interested in all answers other than the trolling about "black equality" .
a few housekeeping issues. lol

I actually live in Philly right now and visited Savannah earlier this year and fell in love with the city (you can see the thread here) so I don't have a direct knowledge of savannah's workings.. I want to retire here or Tybee Island so I check in often.

I am Black, lol.
lastly I mentor single moms on public assistance.

My answer is pretty generic and simply based on points that transfer to many areas.= but is taken from my experience. it is not the only answer.

One reason why someone may not be able to get a job is it depends on what the job is. I work for a large fortune 500 chemical company, we currently have quite a number of open positions that we are having a hard time filling but can't find folks who have that particular skill set.

Now the next reason, is very specific. In some states (mine and others) if a single mom is receiving food stamps, the minute her pay increases her food stamp allowance will go down alot and for many that's a big loss. So a mom who gets a job paying 10/hr, which in the Northeast is poverty level, can lose a couple of hundred in food benefits. There are groups that are trying to restructure that. So let's say a person gets a new job reduce her benefits a small % the first 3 months, then more the next 3 months.... you get the picture. this will allowed the person to work, feed her family and work toward advancement

and no they are not happy sitting at home and getting pregnant , please don't go there.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Good answer. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:51 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Good jobs require good education credentials. That's something Savannah sorely lacks.

Bad jobs abound, but they don't pay the bills. We have a huge amount of those in the hospitality industry.

So, Savannah's lopsided. We have jobs, but the overwhelming majority of those are not good jobs. We set ourselves up to fail when we can't supply a proper education to the lion's share of the population (let's leave race out of it, this is a numbers game). If we can change the equation by improving the infrastructure and access to a means toward getting better jobs, maybe more employers offering better jobs would see Savannah as a place to set up shop due to good local human resources... Just some thoughts.

It's easy to look from a perspective of privilege, where you grew up in a good school district, with a solid history of family support, and say "why don't these people pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get to work?" That's overlooking other questions that need to be asked first, such as "were these people ever taught how to balance a checkbook?"

Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Good jobs require good education credentials. That's something Savannah sorely lacks.

Bad jobs abound, but they don't pay the bills. We have a huge amount of those in the hospitality industry.

So, Savannah's lopsided. We have jobs, but the overwhelming majority of those are not good jobs. We set ourselves up to fail when we can't supply a proper education to the lion's share of the population (let's leave race out of it, this is a numbers game). If we can change the equation by improving the infrastructure and access to a means toward getting better jobs, maybe more employers offering better jobs would see Savannah as a place to set up shop due to good local human resources... Just some thoughts.

It's easy to look from a perspective of privilege, where you grew up in a good school district, with a solid history of family support, and say "why don't these people pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get to work?" That's overlooking other questions that need to be asked first, such as "were these people ever taught how to balance a checkbook?"

This is why I pointed out the Gulfstream addition of 200 jobs, and the Elba Island LNG plant which will be around 200 jobs. These are solid middle class jobs, not the entry level jobs which are very common around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area