Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 01:50 PM

63 posts, read 152,039 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm relocating soon - again! My job has kept me moving all over the country.

Looks like Savannah might be my next (and hopefully last) move. What areas should I be checking out on Zillow Rentals, etc?

About me: Early 50's, have lived all over the country. Love arts, culture, and the outdoors. I have a couple of friends who have been to Savannah, and they say I would love it!

I usually live in quiet suburbs, but am open to the idea of a quiet neighborhood in the city.

Looking to rent. I'm moving from a 3 BR house, so probably looking at another 3 BR place. I'm older/quiet, so looking probably for a house or townhouse - something where I won't be hearing upstairs neighbors, or bothering my neighbors if I'm playing my piano.

School district not an issue.

My job will have me coming home late at night, so safe neighborhood is top priority. I'm sensible about personal safety, not overly paranoid, but don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder every night.

I love parks, small coffeeshops/cafes, small businesses, but am also used to standard issue American suburbia, and also appreciate being near the usual Target, Starbucks, etc. This means walkability is nice, but not necessary. I have a great little car, don't mind using it.

I would LOVE to be able to step out the door every morning and take a walk in a nearby park. That's a major quality of life thing for me.

I've browsed through other threads, but didn't see anything that points me toward one suburb or neighborhood vs another.

Would like to keep rent under $1800.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 05:28 PM

450 posts, read 461,760 times
Your budget opens a lot for you. Downtown Savannah is amazing for walking and small businesses. As far as safe and suburban, I would look in Savannah Quarters in Pooler. Danbury Park, Village Green, Westbrook Villas and the Fairways are all townhomes/patio homes that are very walkable and the new Commons Center will have a bunch of small businesses including an awesome Savannah Roasters coffee shop. If you want single family home, look at the Gates, Hamilton Grove and Davenport. All walkable neighborhoods some gated so not. Pooler has a tremendous amount of growth going on and a lot bunch within a mile or so of all of this but these will remain quiet neighborhoods. There will be a TON of complaining about traffic in Pooler. It's all relative, taking 10-15 minutes instead of 2 or 3 isn't a big deal. I have lived in some real traffic areas and this is nothing. Learn other ways and when the traffic is at its "worst" and work around it. Pooler is a great suburban setting and Downtown is an incredible urban location, it's up to your preference. Welcome to the area, it's a pretty awesome place overall.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 AM

89 posts, read 86,298 times
We just relocated to the Daffin Heights area from MD and love it. 10 minutes fro downtown Savannah and about 20 minutes to Tybee Island.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I live in Pooler, and it is a good, safe place to live. It does not, however, have the feel and charm of Savannah proper. You might as well be in any suburb. Of GA survivors suggestions, I would advise against Hamilton Grove, because the houses are very close together, and the neighborhood is full of kids, unless you love the sound of bouncing basketballs and cars parked everywhere.

If I were you, I would look for a rental within walking distance of Forsyth Park. This is the Victorian district. Make sure it comes with off street parking. My DILs friend lives in a condo on Habersham, close to Johnny Ganhems liquor store and the Kroger, and is close to everything that goes on in the historic district. Her first floor apartment, in an old charming row house is $1400. and it has a nice private court yard. It can be argued that downtown is less safe than Pooler, but single women live happily there, as do young students, so it depends upon your comfort level. There are a lot of short term rentals in this area, so if you think a revolving door of neighbors would be upsetting, ask about the neighboring properties before you decide.

I have also thought the area around Daffin Park seems very nice. It is not walking distance to the activities in the historic district, but the neighborhoods seem cute, and there are always a lot of folks enjoying the park.

I will pm you with two good real estate companies, who know all the good places downtown.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:29 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Another vote for the area around Daffin park south of it, by the stadium, is very nice. Safe, quiet, an affordable nextdoor neighbor of the Ardsley Park neighborhood basically.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in Pooler, and it is a good, safe place to live. It does not, however, have the feel and charm of Savannah proper. You might as well be in any suburb. Of GA survivors suggestions, I would advise against Hamilton Grove, because the houses are very close together, and the neighborhood is full of kids, unless you love the sound of bouncing basketballs and cars parked everywhere.

If I were you, I would look for a rental within walking distance of Forsyth Park. This is the Victorian district. Make sure it comes with off street parking. My DILs friend lives in a condo on Habersham, close to Johnny Ganhems liquor store and the Kroger, and is close to everything that goes on in the historic district. Her first floor apartment, in an old charming row house is $1400. and it has a nice private court yard. It can be argued that downtown is less safe than Pooler, but single women live happily there, as do young students, so it depends upon your comfort level. There are a lot of short term rentals in this area, so if you think a revolving door of neighbors would be upsetting, ask about the neighboring properties before you decide.

I have also thought the area around Daffin Park seems very nice. It is not walking distance to the activities in the historic district, but the neighborhoods seem cute, and there are always a lot of folks enjoying the park.

I will pm you with two good real estate companies, who know all the good places downtown.
Oops, I didnt mean Habersham, I meant Huntingdon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area