Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I honestly think your scenario is the most likely one to happen. Savannah has been wanting to eliminate the I-16 flyover for awhile now and this would be the perfect time for them to get this done. Also this would help the city's Arena and Canal District plan as far as getting a new municipal complex built.
GA Surv and AF Guy... those sound like really neat plans, and would be quite sensible in fact. Although .. a tall order. But it sounds like a good way to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
I know it is a massive undertaking and probably won't occur. The one factor in the whole thing is Bridge height. Right now the 19000 TEU ships are 215ft. The new 22000 ones will be even taller so with room to safely clear, I am guessing we will need 275 ft.! That is 90' higher than now, there is no way to keep the bridge as sort as it is. The only option is extending, we will see how important the state thinks the port and Savannah are. I do believe it will be a billion dollar project.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
I know it is a massive undertaking and probably won't occur. The one factor in the whole thing is Bridge height. Right now the 19000 TEU ships are 215ft. The new 22000 ones will be even taller so with room to safely clear, I am guessing we will need 275 ft.! That is 90' higher than now, there is no way to keep the bridge as sort as it is. The only option is extending, we will see how important the state thinks the port and Savannah are. I do believe it will be a billion dollar project.
I concur, this will be a billion dollar project and will certainly be one of the most, if not the most expensive project in GDOT history. The fact remains that the state of Georgia has invested a lot of capital into the port and outside of Hartsfield-Jackson, the Port of Savannah is the single biggest economic engine in the state. Georgia is already the logistics hub of the Southeast and is now setting its sights on being THE port of call for every major inland market east of the Mississippi and building a taller and longer bridge will be key to that.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
At what point does it become more feasible to go underground?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
$2 billion project

Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
The biggest competition to the project is the spaghetti junction mess in Atlanta. I understand they are going to do something to attempt and fix it. That will probably be a 2 billion dollar fiasco.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, isn't Elon's Boring Co. supposed to be making tunneling cheaper! This would be a great project to see how much cheaper and better he can do it.

It would be interesting to see the cost of two three lane tunnels from the island to the city, would it really cost $2 billion?

Old 09-22-2018, 07:26 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,100 times
Quote:
Tha's what I am thinking... Hurricane proof, & it's future proof.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Tha's what I am thinking... Hurricane proof, & it's future proof.
Tunnels scare me. I vote no. Plus the bridge adds so much to Savannah’s skyline. I’d hate to see it go.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Folks, Savannah will never have major transportation tunnels -- impossible in most southeastern coastal cities, and Savannah is a poster child for that. Too much rain, too much porous low-lying land. Yamacraw Bluff, the exception to Savannah's sandy soil, is too small and gives way quickly to wetlands. A tunnel is impossible as a replacement for the Talmadge Bridge, especially linking Savannah with world capitals like Hardeeville and Ridgeland. Big storms (and hurricanes) bring torrents of rain that swamp tunnels immediately. It's not going to happen, and the price tag is impossible. A span it will be -- hopefully with a pedestrian lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area