Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I need to find someone here that can re-write my resume. It's a bit dated and want to make sure I can catch someone's attention with it when applying for a new job. Yes, I am job hunting. This job is NOT a good fit and I've been in this industry for 32 years. I am not a fan of 3 months of black out, no doctor appointments allowed, vacations, working 7 days a week-I just came off working for 28 days straight. Some days were from 6am until 10pm. Every Saturday and Sunday during this time. It's not for me after going into the second season with this. I haven't seen my grown adult children or grandchild since June. I am being asked to do things that are not right. I can't continue. I know tomorrow isn't going to go well as I am refusing to do something that is not in my job description and don't have the training for. Plus, I was already told by HR that I won't get credit for driving as it's not part of my job. SO it'll be an interesting day....I know since it's an at will state..by lunch I'll be job hunting full time.

So I am thinking of redoing my resume. I'd rather work two part time jobs at 20 hours than have no life at all. This job already put me in the hospital as being sick, well you weren't allowed time off. I even had "visitors" at the hospital to verify I was admitted and wasn't just taking time off. Also vacation time was taken away, we only get 7 days a year, not 12. Personal time now comes out of sick. Heck of a way to run a place. There have been 50 resignations since Aug. It's a mess. I didn't mention the name of the place, so in responses, please if you remember where I have been at-just leave it out please.

Any ideas? Happy Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Can you drive a forklift? & can you work in the cold? My neighbor will hire you in a heartbeat at around $17 an hour..

Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
So sorry, camping mom. I don’t know much bout no resume writin’, but life is too short to be such in a toxic work environment.

I hear the job market is good.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:19 PM

450 posts, read 461,760 times
You should be able to find a generic one in Microsoft and just plug in your information. The warehouse/logistic jobs are abundant. The fact you are will to work part time will help, there are a lot of places looking for help. If you want retail, most places at Tanger are looking. Good luck, I have heard from several people about the conditions at your current place, it is a bad place and no one seems to care.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Can you drive a forklift? & can you work in the cold? My neighbor will hire you in a heartbeat at around $17 an hour..
I am actually looking at Savannah Tech to take the forklift certification. So that's in mid-October. I've had a CDL B for 32 years, I imagine a forklift I can figure out. And cold? I still have all my cold weather gear from upstate NY-bring it on.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So sorry, camping mom. I don’t know much bout no resume writin’, but life is too short to be such in a toxic work environment.

I hear the job market is good.

Exactly my thoughts. They need me, more than I need them. I've been sending applications all week long. I hope the bots don't kick mine out of the system and I hear something back.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
You should be able to find a generic one in Microsoft and just plug in your information. The warehouse/logistic jobs are abundant. The fact you are will to work part time will help, there are a lot of places looking for help. If you want retail, most places at Tanger are looking. Good luck, I have heard from several people about the conditions at your current place, it is a bad place and no one seems to care.
Yeah, I was looking at them too. But I don't want the BOTS or HR to kick it out because I don't have the right buzz words they look for these days.

I am looking at the warehouse/logistics. Seems that would be the better place for a hire wage job.

And yes, it is not good where I am. It's going to all come down at some point.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
The ports? Hard to get in. Takes a lot of "shape up" time I hear. But once in benefits are very good. Should have plenty of jobs that involve driving with all that's going on in freight forwarding.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
The ports? Hard to get in. Takes a lot of "shape up" time I hear. But once in benefits are very good. Should have plenty of jobs that involve driving with all that's going on in freight forwarding.
I am at the stage after 32 years professional driving, I'd really rather stick to office/dispatching. I don't care if I have to be at work at 3am. I don't have a class A, so that would hinder me getting into the ports anyway. But I have a squeaky clean license.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:45 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
I use Uber at least three times every week. Each time I ask the driver questions about why do they like it, how long are they doing it etc. sometimes they even share with me the kind of money they are making. Of course thats dependent, upon their hustle. Invariably, there seems to be a positive vibe. In the hundreds of rides I have taken I never really heard a negative. Well, that makes me suspicious, but that's the kind of guy I am. LOL.

Have you considered this work ? It can be done part time as well. I'm sure you know that.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: