Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 05:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

While I would normally post this in the development thread, this is a major project. The developer is proposing a mixed-use project on 27-acres that will feature 940 residental units, retail, greenspace and a marina. Essentially, this will expand Downtown Savannah unto Hutchinson Island. The developer says the first phase of the project is under contract with a $100 million initial investment and that they hope to break ground next February. Savannah is certainly on fire!!

Savannah Harbor Parcel 5 Planned Unit Development-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr
Quote:
The Savannah Harbor planned development going before the Savannah City Council on Thursday includes multi-family housing with up to 940 units, in addition to retail, a public plaza, greenspace and a marina immediately west of the 27-acre site along the river.

The plan was recommended for approval by the Metropolitan Planning Commission on April 2, when the developer’s representative, attorney Joseph “Rusty” Ross, described the planned community as an opportunity to broaden the downtown Historic District’s development pattern.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...community-plan

Last edited by Airforceguy; 04-25-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
February is still a ways away and the economy has been roaring for quite some time already. Any time I hear big development proposals for Hutchinson, it’s right before a recession hits. I hope the same fate won’t be had this time around for such an ambitious project. Particularly an urban-esque high density development such as this.
As the article says, it’s been years and years and years.. Hutchinson has sat without much if any dirt being moved. It’s past time for growth out there. Let’s get moving!

Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
February is still a ways away and the economy has been roaring for quite some time already. Any time I hear big development proposals for Hutchinson, it’s right before a recession hits. I hope the same fate won’t be had this time around for such an ambitious project. Particularly an urban-esque high density development such as this.
As the article says, it’s been years and years and years.. Hutchinson has sat without much if any dirt being moved. It’s past time for growth out there. Let’s get moving!
I agree with you, there have been so many false starts for development on Hutchinson in the past that I have have become somewhat cynical when it comes to development on the island. i really hope this time is different. I just wonder though if Savannah can really support all of this new development though. This project and Eastern Wharf will essentially be going after the same customers, can the city support both?

Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
I know it will develop but though there are benefits to it staying the way it is... there are cool trails out there I explored one time. You can walk the whole length of the island and it seems like it's secluded!

Old 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM

Looking at the master plan again, and considering the fact that three parcels facing the marina will be developed first, it looks like Savannah could finally see more height in the skyline. The 3 parcels in question, A,D and F have max heights ranging from 120 feet to 180 feet. That means the developers if they want can build structures anywhere from 12-18 stories and considering the fact that final buildout for this project is 940 units, I believe that is possible. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some renderings of what this project will look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: