Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 243,409 times

Advertisements

We're continuing to do research in anticipation of our possible move, and are wondering about the differences between Skidaway Island and Richmond Hill.

I'd love to hear what you think, pros, cons, etc. We have a four-year-old daughter, so we'd like someplace that's family-friendly (as in things to do for the kiddos, playgrounds, activities, nice parks, etc).

Thanks for any information you can provide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Skidaway Island, aka The Landings is a gated community made up mostly of wealthy retired people. Richmond Hill has more young families.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
I Know many families with children in The Landings and many wealthy retired people in Richmond Hill. The wealthy water front areas of Richmond Hill have alot of retirees also and is a long commute into Savannah for work. The Landings or Modena would be more Convenient to shopping, work, entertainment. It is country club community- close in. The east side of Richmond Hill would be a more reclusive lifestyle- beautiful and quiet. (I would love Kilkenny or Lincoln River or Belle Island) Neither would be bad, just different. The City of Richmond Hill and the Subdivisions along I-95 are standard middleclass suburban fare. Like Pooler or Rincon or ...............................................

Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM

23 posts, read 243,409 times
Skidaway sounds like the neighborhood we live in now. Most of our neighbors are retired - there is only one other family on our block with children. We love it, though. It's a very close-knit community, and our daughter has lots of adopted grandmas and grandpas.

I've been looking at real estate listings online and I like the look of the houses on Skidaway - seems like they have larger yards, mature trees, more privacy.

The length of the commute is something we're considering - my husband would be working near the Savannah airport.

We know people who live in the Southbridge development, and they seem to like it. My only concern is that I don't want to live in a neighborhood where they're going to tell me that I can't park my car in the driveway or paint my house a certain color. I don't know if Southbridge is like that, but "planned communities" tend to make me nervous.

We live very close to the water here in California and I hate to give that up. That's one of the appeals of Skidaway, along with the state park which looks very nice.

Thanks for the information so far! We're hoping to go down for a visit soon - we've both been there before, my husband quite frequently for business, but never really looking with an eye to move there.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I haven't spent much time in Richmond Hill, but have at the Landings. Seems they also have strict HOA rules but I never experienced any problems with them. Some of the people who live out there are what I consider to be unpleasant control freaks, to put it nicely. Others are wonderful.

At the same time, I feel like it's way the heck out there and not convenient to anything except the state park. Of course, convenience is relative, isn't it? But once you get here, you can make up your own mind. Since you're from SoCal, you're probably used to something different.

Most intown Savannah residents won't drive south of Derenne Ave. if they can avoid it.

Skidaway Island is probably a 45 minute drive from the airport if you drive at a normal rate. Having driven to Skidaway about a bazillion times from downtown, I can vouch it is a half hour away due to traffic. I'm not an aggressive driver but am efficient and know every conceivable route and most traffic patterns. Once the Truman Parkway is complete it will make the trip faster. That's a few years off.

I once had a conversation with a downtown business owner who had recently moved here from a larger metro area. He and his wife lived at Southbridge and thought they were making out like bandits to live SO close to downtown. I simply raised my eyebrows and wondered how bad it must have been where ever they came from.

Though I've often said I'm not crazy about what's happening out in "Pool-aire," it would make sense for you to consider finding a home in that area. With gas prices going up and kids needing to attend events, you might be happy finding something centrally located for your family's interests.

Southbridge is close to the airport and is old enough now to have an established feel. I've heard complaints about how wet the soil is in some areas of the development but I don't think it floods. Check bgnzsavnh's past posts for links to that kind of info.

Last edited by ellie; 04-15-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Savannah Quarters:*Home (golf) Is across I-95 from Southbridge and Real Estate In Savannah Georgia - Rice Hope (http://www.rice-hope.com/index.aspx - broken link) is just North of the airport (Aquatic Amenity Park Includes: 2 Pools, Water Slide, Lazy River, Splash Garden 3,100+ Square Foot Clubhouse Sidewalks and Walking Trails Fitness Trail Around Lake Children’s Play Area Pocket Parks Convenient High-Tech Package) and Berwick Plantation is south of Southbridge on US 17 Berwick Plantation Neighbors, Savannah and Green community, Low-impact community, Environmentally friendly community (http://traditionhh.com/green-design.php - broken link) Tradition Hilton Head is just up I-95 (20 miles) in SC

Newer Planned Communities convienient to the airport

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 04-19-2008 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 AM

17 posts, read 92,662 times
Richmond Hill and The Landings are very different; however, they are both beautiful. It is the lifestyle of The Landings that I think you will like better. There are more young families living on The Landings than most people (who don't live there) realize. Just go to the pool on the weekend or anytime during the summer. I think the drive from the Landings to Savannah is easier than the drive to and from Richmond Hill. Also, it is easier to access Tybee from The Landings than Richmond Hill. However, the Landings has rules. You may want to check into their list. I think they can dictate the color of your house.

I am originally from Savannah. I lived in RH for 1 1/2 yrs. I consider it a small blessing that my husband's company moved us to St. Marys, Ga. I feel relieved not to live in RH anymore. I would rather drive 2hrs from St. Marys to see my family in Savannah than drive 45m from RH. Also, I have a cousin (30s with a young family) that lives on The Landings. She wouldn't live anywhere else.

You may want to look into Savannah Quarters. It is in the same area as Southbridge...near Pooler. It doesn't have as many Oak trees as The Landings or RH, but the homes are beautiful and it is definately a family community. We briefly looked into living there (to get out of RH) before we knew we would be relocating.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,120 times
Hi

Here are two micro web sites with information about The Landings.

www.DeerCreekFineHomes.com

www.MidpointFineHomes.com

Both are just two small areas in The Landings.

More and more young families are moving to The Landings.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM

53 posts, read 154,385 times
RH is much nicer than the living in the restrictive environment of the Landings. If you don't mind people telling you what you can and cannot do with your house, yard, belongings outside your house etc, you will get along just fine in The Landings. If you want a better school system, choose RH, it is not the best but it is the best in the area. If you are going to send your kids to Private School in Sav then The Landings might be better. The drive from the Landings to the Airport would be torture to me, but I hate traffic. The ride from RH to the Airport is like 15 or 20 min, depending on where you live. Come down and make a point to do the drives at the times you think you will be going to work to get an idea of what the traffic is like. Savannah lacks an adequate infrastructure to move around in it with great speed. No super highways here. It just depends on what you want. There is a huge range of homes in RH, from the super duper rich in Ford Plantation, to high end and middle at Buckhead, or middle and less in the new Main St development. There are many older developments with nice homes. It is a buyers market.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 12,920 times
Hello there,

I noticed you are debating whether or not to move to Skidaway Island. I thought that I would go ahead and post this website. It's pretty interesting information about Skidaway and The Landings. I had stumbled upon it while looking for information on The Landings and The Landings Club.

It has some pretty descriptive info on The landings and Skidaway in general.

www.myskidawayisland.com

Hope this helps,

-Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area