U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 47,923 times

Advertisements

I originally started this thread, but i've done further research. be very careful about buying a newly built house. a lot of wetlands are being filled in & built on in GA. i'm an architect - believe me - that is disasterous!!
i would check out every address on this FEMA website to see its potential flood risk. Page not found
best of luck!
rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
My wife recently landed a job at Armstrong starting in the fall, we are also in the same situation. We have driven down once and looked all over Richmond Hill, but will be coming back and going over Savannah.

One of the neighborhoods we have been looking at is Henderson golf course the builder there is Tidal Homes. Does anybody have any experience with this builder? Also how is the drive to the Historic part of Savannah, time and traffic.

Another neighborhood we have looked at inside Savannah is Coffee Point. The builder is DRhorton which is a national builder.

Both of these neighborhoods are inside southside if I am correct. Does anybody know what school my daughter would goto?

Any info on these subdivisions would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM

726 posts, read 2,442,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekkak View Post
I originally started this thread, but i've done further research. be very careful about buying a newly built house. a lot of wetlands are being filled in & built on in GA. i'm an architect - believe me - that is disasterous!!
i would check out every address on this FEMA website to see its potential flood risk. Page not found
best of luck!
rk
To get away from this problem look to Screven or Bulloch Counties
The Lower Coastal Plain is in South Georgia. It has low hills and poorly drained flat woods it also has tidal salt and brackish marshes. Brackish marshes are a mixture of fresh and saltwater, a low wet place where the ground is damp and swampy.
The Upper Coastal Plain ranges from somewhat hilly, to level land. Most of Georgia’s farm land is located in this region. The Upper Coastal Plain is 300 kilometers wide and because of its size that is why most of the farm land is in this region. The Upper Coastal Plain is also 225 meters (750ft.) above sea level. The Longleaf Pine Forest is also a part of the Upper Coastal Plain. The water of the Upper Coastal Plain provides water for southern Georgia and Florida.

The entire lower coastal plain has this problem, to be safe one must look to the Upper Coastal Plain which has larger elevation changes

'Buy Dry' campaign urges consumers to be wary of homes built in wetlands | SavannahNow.com
Elevated, but still wet | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/238595 - broken link)
http://www.dot.state.ga.us/informati...effingham.aspx
SavannahNOW : Savannah Morning News : Local News : Flood insurance confusion still reigns 07/01/99
http://www.chathamemergency.org/docs...%20Graphic.php
CEMA: Chatham Emergency Management Agency
Georgia Flood Mapping Program
Georgia Flood Mapping Program (http://www.georgiadfirm.com/status/bryan/prelim.htm - broken link)
Georgia Flood Mapping Program (http://www.georgiadfirm.com/status/chatham/prelim.htm - broken link)

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

6,978 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Ah yesss, drainage and flooding problems. It makes you wonder how Savannah has survived for a couple of centuries.

Back when Chatham County and Savannah squabbled a lot about who was going to pay what.. The County threatened to quit maintaining the drainage ditches and just let Savannah float on out to sea. The area is drained by about nine major canals with a lot of criss cross smaller canals tieing they together. It works fairly well, but there are homes being built on improperly prepared soils. It's a case of buyer beware.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 PM

726 posts, read 2,442,103 times
Quote:
It's a case of buyer beware.
So true. I drove by a new subdivision on Little McCall (between Rincon and Guyton) They were laying the foundations on little islands! The pasture next to them were high and dry.......................

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM

433 posts, read 1,129,518 times
Default charter schools

As far as the charter schools her go there is almost always a lottery system and that is done in the spring. Some of the charter schools have academic requirements just to be put in the lottery and some have no requirements. I don't know what grade you are looking for but at Oglethorpe middle there is always a lottery, there are no academic requirements and if after school starts a child leaves the school they do not allow another child to take the spot. We looked at houses on Wilmington Island when we were searching but you have to travel to the southside to do shopping. Homeowner's insurance is also higher. Georgetown is very convenient to everything. Yes, you are going to have traffic but there is a great grade school and a lot of nice neighborhoods. Try "The Village of Wild Heron" for housing. Prices are between $275,000 and $320,000. It is a close knit neighborhood with lots of family events and a pool just for the neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 109,948 times
Quote:
How is the South Side Near Henderson Golf Club? i have been looking into richmond hill, pooler, port wentworth and a few other places.

i think if i could find a house on a golf course for less than $225k, i could convince my husband to move there. we live in new england. our house is tiny, expensive & we hate the winters.

our requirements are: a house within 40 min. commute to savannah (WITH traffic). 10,000 sf yard. 3 beds/2baths. does this sound do-able?
any info would be appreciated!
thanks!

I have a friend who is thinking of selling his home soon as he is moving to California , he lives in "southbridge " its a golfing community ( mid-Upper class ) and is 10 minutes from downtown , 20 mins from uptown , 25 mins from south side "in traffic " . I don't know exactly how much he would sell for but it may be in your price range , i beleive he would be flexible . Check the area out on google , his email address is simonjtt@hotmail.com .

Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 47,923 times
Default Think Twice About Henderson

i wouldn't buy anything in henderson. i thought it looked GREAT until i looked up henderson golf club on the FEMA flood maps & topo maps. it's a high risk flood zone. it looks like (from the topo map) that the golf course was built on a swampy area. keep looking!

as an architect i'd also recommend finding a house where the slab sits kind of high above the grade. online some of the top of the slabs appear to be INCHES above the grade. i'd want 12" minimum. more the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
My wife recently landed a job at Armstrong starting in the fall, we are also in the same situation. We have driven down once and looked all over Richmond Hill, but will be coming back and going over Savannah.

One of the neighborhoods we have been looking at is Henderson golf course the builder there is Tidal Homes. Does anybody have any experience with this builder? Also how is the drive to the Historic part of Savannah, time and traffic.

Another neighborhood we have looked at inside Savannah is Coffee Point. The builder is DRhorton which is a national builder.

Both of these neighborhoods are inside southside if I am correct. Does anybody know what school my daughter would goto?

Any info on these subdivisions would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
Thumbs up Recommended Builder & schools

I've lived in Sav'h for about 14 years. We live in the Southside area and our children grew up here. I would not recommend the public school system personnally for middle school age and up, look into private (Calvary Baptist & Sav'h Christian are the top 2).

A great builder is Legacy Custom Builders, very honest builder, good homes, great prices! He has several locations he builds in, some upscale communities as well as some single family homes.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,210 times
The Back Nine at Henderson Golf Course is one of my favorite subdivisions if you want to live on or within view of a golf course, and the builder, Tidal Homes, is about the best quality builder you will find in Savannah. DR Horton and other national builders are dumping inventory and might not be around a couple years from now. Tidal has been in business for 23 years and isn't going anywhere. Don't worry about the traffic issue. Savannah was built around a river and the coast, so getting around during rush hour will be crowded no matter where you live if you have to get into the main downtown or shopping area near the malls. So, pick where you want to live for other reasons. Tidal's Henderson Golf Course homes are higher than you want to spend, but I know they have several other new home communities, and they focus in the $200s and low $300s. The thing to know about Tidal is that almost everything is included: granite countertops, spray foam insulation (which will cut your A/C bills tremendously), and the builder will modify your plans, whereas most other builders in subdivisons will not. I checked out their website, [url=http://www.sunriserealtypro.com]Savannah Real Estate and Richmond Hill Homes for sale - Sunrise Realty[/url], and it's very helpful. Sunrise only markets Tidal Homes. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,210 times
Quote:
How is the South Side Near Henderson Golf Club? i have been looking into richmond hill, pooler, port wentworth and a few other places.

i think if i could find a house on a golf course for less than $225k, i could convince my husband to move there. we live in new england. our house is tiny, expensive & we hate the winters.

our requirements are: a house within 40 min. commute to savannah (WITH traffic). 10,000 sf yard. 3 beds/2baths. does this sound do-able?
any info would be appreciated!
thanks!
Check out the Pooler area. It's very convenient to golfing and the Interstates for easy access to the coastal area. I think you'd like Harmony subdivision of new homes or The Grove. Both off of Pooler Parkway. Go to [url=http://www.sunriserealtypro.com]Savannah Real Estate and Richmond Hill Homes for sale - Sunrise Realty[/url] to see the homes there, and to see others by Tidal Homes. Great builder. New schools in the Pooler area, too. Someone told you to look at Beaufort, SC, across the Savannah River, but it's not 30 minutes away from Savannah. I think they meant Bluffton, SC. It's an easy drive and lots of golf courses around there. You won't live ON a golf course for $225K, but you can live close. The scenery and weather is great. Get on down here! I used to be a Yankee, but I'm a transplanted Southerner now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area