U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

14 posts, read 47,964 times

Advertisements

How is the South Side Near Henderson Golf Club? i have been looking into richmond hill, pooler, port wentworth and a few other places.

i think if i could find a house on a golf course for less than $225k, i could convince my husband to move there. we live in new england. our house is tiny, expensive & we hate the winters.

our requirements are: a house within 40 min. commute to savannah (WITH traffic). 10,000 sf yard. 3 beds/2baths. does this sound do-able?
any info would be appreciated!
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 07:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 16,643,618 times
That price might not get you the kind of house you want right ON the golf course, but certainly in a nearby neighborhood. However, the size of the yard will be a little difficult.....I really don't know. There are at least two other courses with nearby good neighborhoods that might suit. The Wilmington Island Course and the Bacon Park Course.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 68,662 times
My husband and I are recent transplants to Savannah from th NE. The local police department has very comprehensive crime stats online and you can also call them directly and ask about crime in any neighborhood that you are considering.

There is also a good deal of data on the local newspaper's website that is free & searchable.

We live on Berkshire Woods on the Southside. It is convenient to everything, very affordable compared to home prices back home and crime is relatively low.

Lots of houses on the market right now too.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM

233 posts, read 917,554 times
I agree with Pixel and Padgett. If you don't mind being a little farther out from Savannah, there is the lost plantation golf course in Rincon. The drive might be doable in 45 minutes with traffic. I haven't made that trip in a while, so don't hold me to it....

Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM

726 posts, read 2,443,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpowers21 View Post
I agree with Pixel and Padgett. If you don't mind being a little farther out from Savannah, there is the lost plantation golf course in Rincon. The drive might be doable in 45 minutes with traffic. I haven't made that trip in a while, so don't hold me to it....
Effingham traffic woes get worse every day
Effingham Parkway estimated to be complete by 2018 | SavannahNow.com
Is Chatham's help needed for Effingham Parkway? (Archives)
ERRG.org - Home Page (http://www.errg.org/ - broken link)

Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,055 times
Default Moving also

My wife recently landed a job at Armstrong starting in the fall, we are also in the same situation. We have driven down once and looked all over Richmond Hill, but will be coming back and going over Savannah.

One of the neighborhoods we have been looking at is Henderson golf course the builder there is Tidal Homes. Does anybody have any experience with this builder? Also how is the drive to the Historic part of Savannah, time and traffic.

Another neighborhood we have looked at inside Savannah is Coffee Point. The builder is DRhorton which is a national builder.

Both of these neighborhoods are inside southside if I am correct. Does anybody know what school my daughter would goto?

Any info on these subdivisions would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 46,003 times
Tidal is owned by Anthony Register and John Meeks. They are a quality builder, don't cut corners, and are very much "hands on". The owners are residents of the area, not some anonymous figurehead at a corporate HQ 2,000 miles away. The money they make is spent and invested in the community. The commute into town from the Henderson area to Armstrong in the mornings is murder. Traffic is very heavy as you have commuters coming into southside Savannah from the Richmond Hill/Bryan County area as well as the thousands and thousands of vehicles leaving Georgetown every morning. There is an accident in the inbound lanes almost every morning where the traffic backs up at the lights at Georgetown and Grove Point. Likewise, heading west (from Armstrong towards Henderson) in the afternoons is murder, too. Also, the sun will be in your eyes heading in in the morning as well as heading out in the afternoon.

Can't tell you anything much about Coffee Point but I can tell you that since Horton came to the Savannah area, ...let me just say this: I haven't been impressed with Horton Homes or their customer service.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM

726 posts, read 2,443,480 times
Zoned schools for Coffee Bluff area:
White Bluff Elementary
Bartlett Middle
Windsor Forest High
But the SCCPSC has a system of Charter Schools and Academies (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+%28Magnet%29/About+the+Academies+Program.htm - broken link) that offer a variety of great options. Savannah Arts Academy (http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/ - broken link) is one of the top High schools in the State
The Honors programs are at Jenkins (http://lopatta.us/school/admin/academy/index.htm - broken link) and DeRenne (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/Middle+Schools/DeRenne+Middle+School/Honors+Academy.htm - broken link)
And a new Coastal Empire Montessori Charter School
All of these have an open enrollment for all Chatham County Students

We have and are still maneuvering our children through the academy system

Old 04-26-2008, 06:37 AM

23 posts, read 53,842 times
Default Sav'h Neighborhoods

I lived in Sav'h for a few years and the southside is not where it's at. It has more crime than the historic district and the traffic to get downtown is pretty bad during rush hour. If you live in close proximity to either of the parkways (one located on both the east and west sides of the city) a commute shouldn't be too bad.

Richmond Hill is one of the nicer suburbs on the west side of town but Pooler and most of the smaller towns outside the city are pretty “rural”. If you are looking to be close to the historic district check out Gordonston. It’s about 5 min from downtown, has varied architecture, and its own historic neighborhood association.

Check out the islands. Wilmington, Whitmarsh, and the Isle of Hope are beautiful. Beauford, SC is just over the Sav’h Bridge and gorgeous. It takes about 30 min. to get into downtown from Beauford. If you’d like additional information please let me know if I can offer additional advice.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 53,842 times
The Gordonston neighborhood is close to Armstrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area