Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 17,871 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'All,

My wife were planning to visit the Savannah area in July 2008. I've just had a look at the forums and all the talk of downtown crime is putting us off a bit. Can I ask a few, probably naive, questions:

1. Is it safe to walk around Savannah in the evening?
2. Where are the safest areas for hotels, restaurants etc?
3. Is Charleston safer or just as bad?
4. We're flying back to England from Washington DC, and are allowing three days to do the drive from Savannah. We want to make the drive part of the holiday - any ideas of places to stop over on the drive North?

Any advice welcome.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I hope you have planned your trip after the 4th of July. The traffic will be heavier I assume around that time.

You will receive some good suggestions here. How long do you have in Savannah? And bring lightweight clothing.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I always hate these posts about "Is it safe.....?" because I always want to ask is it always 100% safe anywhere. Are all sections of your city always safe? Can you be sure that no one will ever be mugged or have their car stolen?

Don't leave valubles lying in full view on the seat of your car. Don't take short cuts down dark alleyways after dark. Don't flash wads of money around. Stay out of seedy looking bars. Be careful. Don't be stupid. Don't wander around the parks and squares after midnight. In other words, use common sense. Savannah isn't a sin free paradise. Few places are.

As far as the safest hotels and restaurants, there just aren't any hotels in the unsafe areas. Those in the historic or midtown areas are just about equal as to safety. And I hope that for your stomach sake, you don't plan to eat in those restaurants that are in seedy areas.

Some sections of Charleston are safer that some areas of Savannah. Some of Savannah's areas are safer than some of Charleston's. Crime can happen ANYWHERE. Whether or not it happens to you is something that we can only guess at. You really have to see Savannah and the way it's laid out before you can understand the safety issue. I would not stay in a B&B that is close to a certain low income housing project, but others will rave about how nice the place is. So, who's right?

If you are truly worried about safety, then perhaps you would be wiser not to travel at all. You could be held up at gun point getting gas along the highway.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think you answered my worries, crime in the historic areas is obviously very rare so I'll look for hotels & restaurants around there.
We'll probably stay 3 nights in Savannah and 2 nights in Charleston.

Any ideas where to stopover on the drive back to Washington DC?

Pete

Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Pete View Post

I think you answered my worries, crime in the historic areas is obviously very rare so I'll look for hotels & restaurants around there.
I wouldn't go so far as to say crime is rare in the historic district. It's common enough to occasionally unnerve long-time residents.

Should you avoid the area? No. But you should always be aware of your surroundings. Does that make sense?

I work downtown. Lived there for many years. I always try to pay attention. Even in the daytime.

Yes, you can walk around at night. You can cut through the squares in the early evening. The streets near the river will likely be filled with tourists. There probably won't be pickpockets, more likely panhandlers and homeless people.

You will be fine. This is a major tourist destination. It's not a war zone.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Well said Padgett & Ellie. I concur with each of your statements.

If you want to stop anywhere north of Savannah and Charleston on your way to D.C., I would recommend Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia. Although they may be slightly out of the way (from I-95), they aren't so far as to avoid them. If you want some American history, those are the places to go. If you are into exploring old battlefields from the American Civil War, the Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania County area of Virginia is also an interesting area to explore. Finally, I would suggest Washington D.C. itself as an obvious stop. These destinations are sure to keep you occupied throughout your stay.

Have fun and enjoy the States!! ....be prepared for some hot weather!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 PM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Well said Padgett & Ellie. I concur with each of your statements.

If you want to stop anywhere north of Savannah and Charleston on your way to D.C., I would recommend Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia. Although they may be slightly out of the way (from I-95), they aren't so far as to avoid them.
That was going to be my suggestion, too; it really wasn't much out of the way at all, and well worth it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Quote:

Any ideas where to stopover on the drive back to Washington DC?

Pete
Hilton Head, SC and Charleston. Then I'd cut up through Columbia and Charlotte and avoid I-95 (Including the "South of the Border" signs and traffic) :-)

Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 PM

Default panhandler?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We looked up Williamsburg on the web and it looks like theres lots to see & do in that area, so we'll stay there and then have a couple of nights in DC to see the sights.

BTW, what's a panhandler?

Pete

Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:

BTW, what's a panhandler?
They are people who approach you and beg for money. Just tell them you're sorry and you can't.

Last edited by ellie; 05-16-2008 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area