Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,745,709 times

Advertisements

My father and I are going to stay one night on May 23 at Four Points Hotel off W. Bryan near W. Broad in Historic district. I remember that was near some lower-income housing or projects last time I went to Savannah. I also heard of the Time Saver near there off Oglethorp referred to as the "Crime Saver". Is there any area around there we should avoid and any tips for safety? If we're walking towards or away from the heart of the historic district at night, what's the best road to take?

The crime stats for that area look much better than the Central District (like Forsythe Park), however with more robberies than on the Eastern side of the historic district.

Last edited by netdragon; 05-16-2008 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM

11,368 posts, read 24,331,439 times
You'll be fine. That's one block off of Bay St. There are several new hotels right there. You'll also see a lot of new construction in the area where they are building yet another new hotel and an underground parking garage.

It is a little dangerous down there at night because it is near City Market, which draws predators waiting for unwary tourists. But if you use a little common sense, you're not likely to get "snuck up on" and robbed.

I have no idea where you intend to walk. The Time Saver on Oglethorpe? Uhhhh... Don't go there, then. Same for the low income housing units. They're a few blocks away, but they're used to rich white people. Do you get my sarcasm?

I'm starting to feel like I need to rent myself out to people from City-Data who desperately need help while visiting - and I'm sorry to vent. But we can't be expected to tell you that you're going to be in great danger or none at all.

Stick to well-lighted busy streets. Don't talk to strangers unless they look exactly like you do. If it looks like a dangerous area, it might be. If it looks safe, it might not be.

Please enjoy yourself. It's not that hard.

Oh, btw, West Broad was renamed about a decade ago. It's now MLK Jr. Blvd. There's talk of changing it back, for symmetry's sake.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,108,381 times
the reason that the Crime Saver is so popular is that you can do your thing, hop in your get-away car and be across the river into the next state before the management can dial 911.

that location is on the outer western edge of the Historic District. Ellie is correct. Be smart and aware of your surroundings. If it's dark, you're on your way back to your room and you have had too much to drink, call a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area