Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Betcha Eh View Post
Thanks Bgnzsvnh.

You picked a great month to be in Duluth, MN....January.

Tired of life below zero....

This January has been one for the record books...as far as being below average temps. We were treated to a high of 17 one day last week... I wore a sweatshirt outside...feeling warm! Crazy!

Fortunatley, I'll be living in an apt. down there while the kids finish school in MN. I'll have plenty of opportunity to scout things out, talk to the locals, recon neighborhoods, sit on some bar stools, etc. before we purchase a home (unless we rent for awhile until things truly "bottom out."

I am sure it will be a fantastic time to buy!

How is Savannah fairing in the Great Downturn relative to other areas?
Got kids in school? Change is coming
Superintendent Thomas Lockamy on Wednesday unveiled a three-year plan to create specially themed academic programs at several elementary, middle and high schools and completely redesign some schools.

The goal is to please parents by improving schools in their neighborhoods and to entice private-school families with a variety of new academic programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Default Just Fishing!

I have looked at Savannah for many years. I am a native of New Orleans, LA and moved to Salt Lake City 16 years ago. I like it here but Salt Lake has grown tremendously and I am yearning for the small town feel as I get older. I am a paralegal by day and a wedding planner by night. My husband and I are both vocalist and have a very lucrative R&B Soul Band. We travel quite a bit with our band throughout the Western Mountain Region doing wedding coordinating and to perform destination weddings. I have researched and researched and cannot seem to get a feel for the wedding scene in Savannah. I understand they have a pretty decent music scene but my biggest interest is what is the the wedding scene like there? Is it a wedding destination town? I have never coordinated a wedding there so I would not know.

Any suggestions?????

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
Yup, read this...
Wedding Advice from Locals

Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbraham View Post
I have looked at Savannah for many years. I am a native of New Orleans, LA and moved to Salt Lake City 16 years ago. I like it here but Salt Lake has grown tremendously and I am yearning for the small town feel as I get older. I am a paralegal by day and a wedding planner by night. My husband and I are both vocalist and have a very lucrative R&B Soul Band. We travel quite a bit with our band throughout the Western Mountain Region doing wedding coordinating and to perform destination weddings. I have researched and researched and cannot seem to get a feel for the wedding scene in Savannah. I understand they have a pretty decent music scene but my biggest interest is what is the the wedding scene like there? Is it a wedding destination town? I have never coordinated a wedding there so I would not know.

Any suggestions?????
You really need to start a new thread with your question. It's a good one and deserves a spot of it's own.

I don't think Savannah will have the "small town feel" that you seek.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM

513 posts, read 868,171 times
No thank you. I like where I'm at and I aint movin to that place.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
No thank you. I like where I'm at and I aint movin to that place.
More room for me!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
More room for me!
Me too.
Even though I'm a transplant.
Hahaha...

Old 04-11-2009, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 27,271 times
Here's a factor you might want to consider when you say "it isn't close to a slum district", thereby meaning you consider your area to be safe: criminals have cars. Ask anyone in Savannah in any neighborhood. People have been shot, knifed, or merely robbed and allowed to live, in all areas of Savannah....Ardsley Park walking the neighborhood, outside the Pink House restaurant attempting to walk back to their hotel, in the squares, and out walking their dogs on the Southside. Savannah is a high crime city without a doubt, no matter where you are.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam'smom View Post
Here's a factor you might want to consider when you say "it isn't close to a slum district", thereby meaning you consider your area to be safe: criminals have cars. Ask anyone in Savannah in any neighborhood. People have been shot, knifed, or merely robbed and allowed to live, in all areas of Savannah....Ardsley Park walking the neighborhood, outside the Pink House restaurant attempting to walk back to their hotel, in the squares, and out walking their dogs on the Southside. Savannah is a high crime city without a doubt, no matter where you are.
I read all your reasons for staying here in another post.
But you should rethink them.
You sound like you won't be happy until you're far away from Savannah.
In another city.
With less crime?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:52 PM

38 posts, read 82,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizi View Post
I've just joined the forum. We are moving to Savannah in less than a week and plan to spend New Year's Eve in our new condo! We fell in love with Savannah a couple years and decided it was the perfect place.

We just got a puppy to join us in our new adventure and are wondering if there are any beaches nearby to take her to run. We will keep her on a leash but love to be by the water.

The diversity of Savannah is what makes it so attractive. We can't wait!
How upbeat! Thank you for sharing Kizi. Interesting name, by the way.

LL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area