U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 AM

5 posts, read 15,614 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm visiting Savannah next month and still haven't booked accommodation yet.
I was looking at the map and Hilton Head looks very close to Savannah. Could anyone tell me if it's feasible to base myself out at Hilton Head and commute into Savannah on a daily basis? what's the drive like?

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:20 AM

9,876 posts, read 20,160,373 times
Not knowing you, and what you expect out of Hilton Head, I can't say. It's an hour's drive more or less, depending on traffic.

Since you're not from here, there might be some attraction to HHI for you, but --- I just don't know why you'd do that on a daily basis unless you had no other option. Stay for a day or so in Savannah and stay for a day or so there?

Last edited by ellie; 06-14-2008 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-14-2008, 07:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,496,068 times
It looks close, but according to Map Quest, it's about 42 miles and 57 minutes driving time. A lot will depend on where you would be staying. The traffic can be heavy at times. It could easily take an hour and a half to two hours. With the price of gasoline at $4.00 a gallon, a round trip daily could add up to a tidy sum quickly. If that's not a problem for you, a round trip can be done. Unless you have a special reason for doing it that way, you would probably enjoy your vacation better by a few days at each place. Going back and forth is not convenient.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,496,068 times
Forgot to mention. The Highway Patrol between the two places gets rather tacky about speeders. So be careful.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,674,804 times
Unless you want to party and are looking for some nightlife I would say stay on Tybee. Close and reasonable though it practically shuts down @ sunset which some find boring.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Unless you want to party and are looking for some nightlife I would say stay on Tybee. Close and reasonable though it practically shuts down @ sunset which some find boring.
You're right about staying on Tybee. I prefer it to Hilton Head. Just depends on whether the OP is thinking about playing golf...

And boring is in the eye of the beholder...summer nights can be filled with characters out there on the island. LOL

Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,674,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You're right about staying on Tybee. I prefer it to Hilton Head. Just depends on whether the OP is thinking about playing golf...

And boring is in the eye of the beholder...summer nights can be filled with characters out there on the island. LOL
A friend described Tybee as "Mayberry on acid" lol

Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM

433 posts, read 1,580,667 times
Default Hilton Head

I was in Hilton Head a couple of months ago. I noticed at the Sea Pines resort there is a boat that takes people to Savannah. It didn't look fancy but I think it was some sort of tour boat and maybe there was a dinner in Savannah. I'm not really too sure about that. I think Hilton Head is one of the most quiet and beautiful places around. I really love their beautiful beaches!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
A friend described Tybee as "Mayberry on acid" lol
It can often be that way. I prefer its quiet, rebellious eccentricities to the dated and sterile stage setting of HHI. Just my personal taste.

As far as that boat the next poster mentioned, seems I've seen a similar one that goes to Daufuskie. It's probably pretty expensive because it's a private, for profit venture for what we call "rich people from up north." (as opposed to the ones from here, who don't spend money) It would still be a great vacation outing for someone who was interested in seeing the area from the water.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

235 posts, read 597,977 times
You would be better off spending half of your nights in Savannah and half on HHI. The drive is fairly miserable although not as bad as exaggerated earlier. There is a lot of traffic and a lot of it is 2 lane with slower traffic. A condo on HHI for a few days would get the beach and the Jimmy Buffett store out of your system. Then you could venture over to Savannah and stay at one of the B&B's downtown and take a stroll through history.....just don't be out too late at night and use some common sense to protect yourself.

Hope you have a good time,

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area