Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

Ummm, I'm thinking. It's a section I haven't been on, though I often use Henry St. which is one block north of 31st. Live Oak is a block or two east of Waters Ave. I travel on that occasionally, too.

That would make it a couple of blocks from the Asbury Methodist Church, if that helps anyone.

Addition: I used the 28 day crime data map and it came up perfectly free of crime for that immediate area in the past month. http://www.metrocrimemaps.org/

I'd talk to some neighbors to verify that, if you can.

Last edited by ellie; 04-22-2009 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 49,025 times
ok thanks. I saw that on the crime map too. Pretty cool tool the PD has there. It didn't look too bad, mostly break ins and car thefts over the last 6 months. Not that that's good but better than violent attacks. :P
It seems like a nice area and the house, well....just too nice to ignore!
One never knows until they live somewhere....I once lived in two beach communities in San Diego and Venice and both places I experienced or heard gunshots, domestic brawls and drive bys...?? And yet there were million dollar houses on some streets.

Anyhow...overall it does seem based on this PD tool that there is a lot of random crime there. Don't know what else to compare it to because I don't know if many police stations have that same tool. But it seems like a lot surprisingly. Perhaps if one looked at many American towns/cities they'd find the same so I don't know how relative it is.
Any idea from people who've lived in Savannah and elsewhere??

thx.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
"I once lived in two beach communities in San Diego"

Pacific Beach?
Ocean Beach?
Mission Beach?
Expiring minds wanna know.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

"Any idea from people who've lived in Savannah and elsewhere??"

Not as bad as NYC, or the Bronx.
Not as bad as Albany.
Not as bad as San Diego.
A bit worse then Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.
Up there they only shoot relatives.

Just my 26cents worth, is all.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Here's a quick cross section of local news for that area.

Waters Ave. property could become police precinct | SavannahNow.com
Jury to hear Taharka's statements, judge rules | SavannahNow.com
http://www.thecreativecoast.org/why/...go-sky-gallery

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 10,428 times
Default The Low down on Savannah

Thanks You are right I need to go visit myself I will do just that this summer Then I'll give everybody my own opinion I appreciate all of you

Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 10,428 times
So ur a secret agent I always wanted to meet a secret agent COOL!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 132,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiana00 View Post
I don't need a gated community where people don't talk and desperate housewives plot against each other(live near that or a poorer version of that..hahah), nor do I want to live where drug dealers sell on my lawn(had that in Venice Beach-LA) and you live in fear as you goto sleep at night. Just regular folks who are unpretentious and NOT yuppified, or gentrified or plastified with cells stuck to their heads, but still real and down to earth...friendly and still got some smarts to share over a cup of something.
So here goes:
1) So how bad is the crime and is it all over, what population does it affect or is it just criminals hating on other criminals?? Is it safe on the streets in most areas, can one walk around at night or during the day without worry or need to be paranoid!?
2) Since it's a tourist town and the jobs are limited, how is it to live there and making a decent living despite this?? What is the average population like in terms of people who rent homes?? are there a lot of renters, responsible at that? ( I am planning on renting part of the home to renters and roommates.
3) How are the race relations?? I was there only one day but it SEEMED to be mellow and friendly there, unlike Charleston(where I was there 4 days and it seemed to still be living on the lifeblood of former slavery(history, tours etc...). It felt very tense in Charleston. How are things honestly?? I am dying to be some where where there really is very little angst and tension and some goshdarn cohesion amongst the people. IS that too much to ask the universe!? I don't think so. Hoping it agrees.
Hell...I figured another locals opinion can't hurt.

1. Crime wise...if you don't live near it, then you should be good. I've lived on Wilmington/Whitemarsh Islands all 19 years of my life, and I've never had anything happen to me. I also happen to work downtown, I run a building by myself from the hours of 430 to about 10 right across the street from the visitors center. I feel safe. I've never felt unsafe in Savannah, to be honest. As far as living in a mostly crime-free area, aim for Wilmington Island. The Wilmington Park is a great place to live. (Although I may be biased, having a house on the 6th hole of the Wilmington Island Golf Course!) Both of the Islands are prodomentaly white areas. Housing can be DAMN expensive, or resonably priced depending on where you find a place on either island. Houses in the park have been hit by the crisis, my mother paid around 375K for a 3 bed 2 1/2 bath on the golf course a few years ago. They recently had it appraised to refinance, and it's worth relatively the same as when they bought it. As a matter fact, the house next door is for sale. To give you an idea of the Ranch style'd houses around there, here's a link to the exact house that's for sale. Mopper-Stapen : Selling Savannah To The World It's been for sale for over a year now, they're asking entirely too much and nobodys touching it for that price. Funny thing is...they're using my moms backyard view to try to sell the house! The previous owner was...lets just say stubborn, and apparently didn't want a golf course view when they lived on the golf course.

As far as distance is concerned, right now I live with my father on Whitemarsh. I'm 10 minutes from downtown, and about 20 minutes from the mall/midtown, and 15 minutes from Tybee. I feel as if I've got a good spot, unless I want to go to the landings or something rediculose like that.

2. Heh..I'm in college...I wouldn't know what it's like to have to work for a living, yet. But, I do work in the tourism industry! Coming back to that building across the street from the visitors center, I work for Old Savannah Tours. I run their "Depot" on some week/weekend nights, during the weekend days I sell tickets. It's DEFINITELY not a career by any means, but it is a source of income. We've got the ports, Gulfstream JCB, and a few other big names here. IF you're skilled, you can find a job and make it.

3. Race relations...my highschool was...it seemed like 85% African American. I'm white, never had a racism problem or anything of the sort. But then again, you've always got your bad eggs in every town you'll come across. No gang wars though!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 107,177 times
s.car what high school did you go to?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodward3 View Post
xxx what high school did you go to?
How many times have we seen this post?
You lonely, or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area