Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM

433 posts, read 1,763,033 times

Advertisements

I just heard from a neighbor whose son works for a builder in the area that the builder is going to build one more house in that particular neighborhood and that is it until things pick up. There are a lot of empty lots in that neighborhood.

It is nice to have a brand new home but these days you never know if the builder is going to finish out the neighborhood. Then try selling your home in a few years and have half of the neighborhood unfinished. Someone was very interested in buying my house but ultimately decided on a new neighborhood. If only he knew the area better he would know that the neighborhood was started at the very least 2 years ago and most of the lots are not built on yet. The builder also has several spec homes and there is only one house currently being built. Who knows how many more years it will take to finish that neighborhood.

When purchasing a home most people don't forsee having to move out of it but I didn't think I would move after only 2 years of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 31,734 times
Default Specifics

Can you be more specific about the neighborhood? I am moving to Savannah and have been looking at new homes. I did notice some neighborhoods that seemed to be only half built and wondered about that. When I researched them on the Internet, I discovered some had been under construction for a while. I was concerned about the exact things you outlined in your post. I would love to know where you are talking about. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Honestly I would be careful about any new neighborhood that is not totally built up. I have even heard that there is a neighborhood around Savannah where 5 homes have been built and that is all the builder is building.

The places I am talking about are Village at Autumn Lake in Berwick Plantation and Southern Woods at Rice Mill. I even drove through Stonebridge in Berwick and there are some homes for sale, some spec homes and lots of land still being built on. I totally understand wanting a new home-I am planning on buying new in the next place. Where we are moving the whole neighborhood is built and there are several spec homes available. That is the only way I would go. There is also another neighborhood near I-95 that has been building up for years and isn't even close to being done and there is lots for sale.

I have a house for sale in the most amazing neighborhood in Savannah. Blooming crepe myrtles line the street, everyone thinks it looks like "Wisteria Lane" and living here is like living in Mayberry. There is a neighborhood pool and there are planned family events like hay rides, Christmas cookie exchange, easter egg hunt etc.. I hate to move from this neighborhood and I would take the whole neighborhood and everyone in it with me if I could. My husband got a new job out of state so we have to go.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

The neighborhood near I-95 is Gateway Village. They were building that neighborhood when we moved here 2 years ago and it isn't finished. Basically any neighborhood that is only partly built I would be concerned about. The market doesn't seem to be getting better and no one knows when it will. You may want to go the safe route and buy in an existing neighborhood. I understand wanting a new home-we looked at many new homes in Pooler and in Richmond Hill when we looked here. Ultimately we just couldn't get past the look and feel of this neighborhood and it was definately the right choice for us. Good luck with your search and let me know if you need any more info.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the specific info. Those are some of the neighborhoods that I had looked at. A few others were Highland Falls and the Groves. I am starting to rethink my buying strategy. There are so many houses on the market and a lot of them are only one or two years old. Could you share what neighborhood you live in? It sounds idyllic. And do you have any thoughts on the best area to live? Pooler, Garden City, Port Wentworth, Georgetown? I will be teaching at a middle school in the downtown area but don't necessarily want to live down there.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:18 AM

Port Wentworth and Garden City I don't know much about but what I do know about them I would not recommend either. Pooler is nice and there are a lot of nice homes there however if you want to do any shopping other than Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or Sams you have to drive 20 or so minutes to the southside. I live in Georgetown and the convenience to shopping is the reason we didn't move to Pooler. Georgetown is really convenient to just about everything. We are just minutes to all of the southside and only 4 miles to I-95. We are also only 1 easy hour to Hilton Head which I highly recommend.

What is you price range for homes? My neighborhood is amazing. Do you have kids?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,451 times
There are 2 parts to Port Wentworth
The "old" core city by the port and industrial area and the "new" area west of I-95
They are separated by 4 miles and completely different
the new area is very rural. the new subdivisions Started appearing
about 4 years ago first Newport, then Rice Hope, Lakeshore, and now Rice Creek.
We have a strong police department and neighborhood watch.
There are some stables out here and farms still. Food Lion recently opened and a Publix is being built.
Letters to the editor | SavannahNow.com
WTOC, Savannah, Georgia, news, weather and sports | Collard Green Farmers Give Free Vegetables
Rice Hope to expand by 300 acres | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/424854 - broken link)
Publix to open store at Rice Hope | SavannahNow.com
Port Wentworth, "Savannah Starts Here" (broken link)
City of Port Wentworth, GA
Two prominent Savannah River plantations share common heritage and classic oak-lined avenue | SavannahNow.com
http://www.thespiritnewspaper.com/2008/January/24th/1AStory.html (broken link)
Honoring the past | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/508187 - broken link)
WTOC, Savannah, Georgia, news, weather and sports | Port Wentworth National Night Out
Savannah River Spring Fishing Classic (http://www.portwentworthga.com/events-spring-fishing-classic.php - broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the info. I will be in Savannah this week looking at houses and neighborhoods. This definitely gives me some things to think about and a few new areas to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area