Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
tcb tcb started this thread

198 posts, read 678,838 times

Advertisements

I've been down to Savannah 3 times now and I love the place, I was thinking of moving down there but I'm not sure if there is any IT jobs down there? I also need to sell my house in Michigan first. If anyone knows of any advice for this type of thing please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM

726 posts, read 3,593,948 times
Try the
Creative Coast Initiative

http://www.thecreativecoast.org/

Old 01-04-2007, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 12,451 times
I have never been to Savannah but may have a job offer. I am concerned about the crime rate that exists in the downtown area and the quality of the public schools in the county. I have a 7 year old and we currently live in Va. I really need some input from people who live or have lived in the area so I can make an informed decision about even entertaining the opportunity.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:49 PM

233 posts, read 1,224,276 times
The Savannah area is nice, but there are places that you shouldn't live. I personally just avoid the downtown area completely. The schools are really hit or miss. In the Pooler area, the schools are good until high school. Georgetown/Southside schools are good. They are both close to Savannah but far enough away. Richmond Hill has good schools and is a nice area. It's a little farther away. Pooler is growing. There will be a new elementary and middle school coming as well as some businesses. Effingham county is growing as well. Rincon and Guyton are both nice rural areas right now. The schools there are new and very good. I don't now about IT jobs though. Sorry. There does seem to be a lot of opportunities (more businesses and growing etc..)

Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM

11,375 posts, read 24,359,209 times
On the otherhand, I spend the majority of my time downtown when I'm here. It provides a social, cultural, and streetlife component of city living you are not likely to find anywhere in the state except parts of Atlanta and downtown Athens. Yes, it can be a bit spooky at times but not enough to prevent a large number of people from going out at night, especially on weekends.

There are a few good public schools but finding the right district so your child can enrole is probably tricky. Private schools are good but expensive.

Savannah's probably not the city for everybody, but it is one of the most interesting and beautiful places I've been. For a tiny southern city it compares well with New York, San Francisco, and Paris in terms of having an enlightened core of people who are striving to improve the city's cultural offerings.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 PM

726 posts, read 3,593,948 times
Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools showcases its 19 specialty programs Saturday at Savannah Mall

http://savannahnow.com/node/207243 (broken link)

Old 01-06-2007, 10:15 AM
tcb tcb started this thread

198 posts, read 678,838 times
Thanks, I just need to figure out a few things first. Also sell stuff I don't want to take with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area