Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,044 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom looking at purchasing a house in Midway. My daughter is 9. My biggest concern is about her education. I am looking for an honest opinion about the schools (specifically Liberty Elementary). All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
I am looking to relocate to Ludowici Georgia. How anyone tell me about the area and jobs. It seems from my research the jobs do not pay that much. Has anyone attended Brewton Parker College? Does anyone know about the nursing homes in the area? Please help.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM

14 posts, read 53,621 times
Schools in Midway are terrible. Richmond Hill has far better schools. If schools are your primary concern and you can afford it, choose Richmond Hill.

We have lived in Midway for almost 8 years. Our daughter started school and is in the 6th grade now. Georgia schools are terrible to begin with, but Liberty Country schools just seem to concerned with teaching the CRCT test (standardized test). The schools are getting better I guess. With in the past few years they have opened a new Elementary and Middle school in Midway. I think a lot of the problem comes from the population of the area. Richmond Hill is a bedroom community of Savannah and has far more professionals residing there than Midway and so I believe there is more emphasis on obtaining a good education. I enjoy living in Midway, we love living on the water, but give a chance to do it all again, Richmond Hill is where I would spend my money.

Vincent

Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,044 times
Thank you Vincent.

I came to Georgia with my daughter after spending my entire life in the same town in Queens, NY. I was renting in Richmond Hill when I wrote my post. My friend owns a house in Midway, and she and her husband do not have school aged children. After asking my daycare provider and quite a few other people, I decided that even though everyone I speak to says that Midway has a lot of potential for growth, I could not justify spending over $240K on a house hoping that the school system catches up to the neighborhood. My daughter is an honor roll student, and only 9. We are still in Richmond Hill, and that is probably where we will end up buying.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyg View Post
Thank you Vincent.

I came to Georgia with my daughter after spending my entire life in the same town in Queens, NY. I was renting in Richmond Hill when I wrote my post. My friend owns a house in Midway, and she and her husband do not have school aged children. After asking my daycare provider and quite a few other people, I decided that even though everyone I speak to says that Midway has a lot of potential for growth, I could not justify spending over $240K on a house hoping that the school system catches up to the neighborhood. My daughter is an honor roll student, and only 9. We are still in Richmond Hill, and that is probably where we will end up buying.
If your child is an honor roll student, the sccpss has the best opportunities in the area with IB and AP and Early College.

Specialty Program Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+%28Magnet%29/ - broken link)

Savannah Arts Academy is one of the top Public High Schools in the State
Especially strong in College Prep

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,945 times
first, let me stop laughing... yes, georgia is a bottom feeder school system... but this area, wow, it has to be the bottom of the bottom... between liberty, bryan && chataham, bryan is your best bet... i lived in hvl, moved to sav && now i'm living in the marsh... if i was old && looking for absolute peace, this is the place for it... liberty elementary does have quite a few concerned staff members who will look out for your daughter's best interest, but from there she'll go to midway middle && liberty high... the middle school is aiight... but to be honest, the children learn at an average level, she will not reach her peak performance in this area unless you can find a great teacher... the system here is just behind... i'm not sure if the curriculums aren't being carfefully thought out or what it is... but i'm looking forward to relocating to gwinnette county this summer... here, the job market is slow... even though you are already working, your daughter has a better chance in the future if you just stay in richmond hill... i wouldn't tell anyone who cares about their children's education to move here... it's a small town stuck in the past but trying desperately hard to advance... they have plans of "upgrading" due to the military expecting to have 3,400 troops with about 74,000 family members coming to this area... but i don't believe they are prepared to teach on a higher level... this is far from a higher middle class area && even if it becomes one, i don't think it will reach that teaching level for another 5-10 years...good luck with her education in rchmndhll...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
What the heck is all the && in most of your posts?
Expiring minds wanna know.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM

27 posts, read 64,478 times
Default Liberty County Schools

Just wondering if the Midway School system (Liberty County) is any better since the previous posts. Have 1st and 3rd graders and will be moving to area summer 2013. Also looking at Richmond Hill (Bryan County) as well. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 64,478 times
Default Liberty county schools

So no new updates on Liberty county schools? We are moving to Ft. stewart area this summer and I'm exploring options, saw a nice rental in sunbury but if the elementary schools are terrible then that is a no go for us. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty208 View Post
So no new updates on Liberty county schools? We are moving to Ft. stewart area this summer and I'm exploring options, saw a nice rental in sunbury but if the elementary schools are terrible then that is a no go for us. Thanks in advance for any input.

Woudn't all of this data that you are looking for be on line? Surely a google search would provide the answers to your question.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area