Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM

50 posts, read 196,730 times

Advertisements

So "gimme it" inspired me to ask a question that's been on my mind since I found out i'm moving to Savannah in January. I'm not averse to commutes, so I'm wondering if life out on Tybee Island is good for a small family? Its me, my wife and 1 little toddler in tow.

What are rents like for a 2-3 bdrm, 1-2bath apartment or home? We definitely want to start out renting for a bit and learn the area before committing to a home purchase (we rent now).

Does Tybee get overrun with tourists at certain points of the year?

Is there a townie atmosphere?

Do residents feel a part of Savannah metro area?

What is day care like out there?

Is it "close enough" to Wilmington Island to share in what is there?

I'm sure I have a million other questions, but just assume I'm asking those too!

-- dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I can't answer the one about how much it costs, but YES, it does get overrun with tourists and local beach goers from April through September. Traffic getting on and off the Island can be horrendous.

You will be going to Wilmington Island to do heavy grocery shopping. Tybee has a small grocery, but stocks are limited. If you plan to live there for several years, think about how your child will get to school. There is only a very small elementary school there, plus a small Catholic elementary. Middle and High schools are bused to the mainland.

I doubt seriously if Tybee considers itself part of the Savannah Metro area. Tybee is a world unto itself. In some ways, it is small-townish.

The commute could be a big bother depending on where you need to go. There is only one way off the island. Later, you end up going into the Historic District or Victory Drive for access to other major streets.

Have you thought about what it would be like living on Tybee during a hurricane season?

You may not mind commuting, but with the price of gas the way it is, a months worth of gas would pay for a much better house in the greater Savannah area, or even on Wilmington or Whitmarsh Island.

There are a lot of rental units on Whitmarsh and Wilmington Island. You probably should think about renting there first until you get to know the area a bit better. Tybee sounds like a great idea, but there are a lot of problems with full time living there.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
You could try it for a year and see what you think. It might be fun for awhile.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You could try it for a year and see what you think. It might be fun for awhile.
I agree, for a while...but I really can't see living on Tybee full time. It is at its' heart a beach town that doesn't really cater to full-time residents. Much like its' sister to the south, Jekyll; the residents there have to drive off the island for pretty much everything.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM

18 posts, read 75,945 times
I had posted what its like in tybee, i am glad to read this, so wilmington and whitemarsh what are they like anyone know
I have been to both, I have been coming totybee for about 7 years now
in june or sept the last 3 for pirates fest
I have met bobi and adore her that works at the royal Palm, and know most of the people that work there have even made a few friensd in savannah , other areas there
have shopped in whitemarsh and wilmington.anyone from there tell me what its like??

Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldean View Post
I had posted what its like in tybee, i am glad to read this, so wilmington and whitemarsh what are they like anyone know
I have been to both, I have been coming totybee for about 7 years now
in june or sept the last 3 for pirates fest
I have met bobi and adore her that works at the royal Palm, and know most of the people that work there have even made a few friensd in savannah , other areas there
have shopped in whitemarsh and wilmington.anyone from there tell me what its like??
My nephew and his wife (a couple that I'm guessing are about your age) live on Wilmington Island. They are both Atlanta natives and are really happy there.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 75,945 times
Smile wilmington

Thanks for the reply , going down to visit a friend the week of turkeyday and will look around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area