U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 28,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel View Post
SAVANNAH, GA Nat'l Avg BRIDGEPORT, CT
TOTAL 145 100 175
PERSONAL 135 100 182
Murder 236 100 207
Rape 128 100 101
Robbery 166 100 256
Assault 71 100 154
PROPERTY 133 100 155
Burglary 142 100 122
Larceny 157 100 101
MV Theft 100 100 217

Here are the stats comparing Savannah to the town where I was born. Savannah doesn't look that bad to me.

RELATED LINKS
its not bad everywhere, but keep in mind, about 80% if not more of the crime is located in the inner city, not southside, wich contains a large chunk of the population. if you looked at stats of just the inner city, it would be many times worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 AM

6,961 posts, read 16,184,390 times
Savannah is really more like two distinct cities. And the older, historic part is surrounded by the high crime areas. Out in the other Savannah, is a wonderful place to live. People can live here their entire lives without even going into the historic areas or without having any problem with crime. Most of those murders were over drugs, jealous boy/girl friend, or someone trying to prove he's the biggest, baddest, meanest macho male. And if I were ugly, I would mention that a very large percent of it is black on black crime done only in black sections of town. Unfortunately, a lot of the housing patterns in Savannah date back to the days of intergration and that's where most of the worse crime is. Not all of it, of course, but a large percent of it.

People that are in office jobs are having problems because those jobs are scattered all over the County. It's a matter of looking and finding. We have a lot of people that can do quite well on 8-10 dollars an hour, so there is no need to pay anyone more. If anyone comes needing or expecting more, they will probabally be disappointed.. General office workers are plentiful.

Rents are another thing that will vary a great deal. It's all about location, location, location!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,418,349 times
I'm with Powderspringsdad...We live outside of Atlanta also and would move to the Savannah area in a heartbeat. In fact we are seriousely planning to move their, just don't know if it'll be 2yrs, 5yrs, 10yrs...Hopefully it will be soon!

I have to agree their is considerable crime and poverty in many areas of the city. Don't know if you are having to live IN the city, but there are a lot of great areas outside there...Richmond Hill, Pooler, Rincon, Jesup, Statesboro, Tybee Island...

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

64 posts, read 230,714 times
"We have a lot of people that can do quite well on 8-10 dollars an hour, so there is no need to pay anyone more."

Padgett2,

I found your statement (listed above) to be very condescending. It's obvious to me that you have not had to actually live on $8 - 10 an hour recently or else you wouldn't be saying that.

What type of housing do you think you afford on an $8 an hour income in this area? Single wide trailer? Sub-standard apt. in the ghetto? Section 8 housing? Staying with parents or grandparents?

I guess you and I have different concepts of what "doing quite well" means...

Last edited by new28moon; 08-07-2007 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM

6,961 posts, read 16,184,390 times
Let's hope you don't ever have to live on Social Security. 8-10 per hour will look good.

I will admit that for a single person living alone, it would be tough unless they share living space with someone. It's still a matter of plenty of people willing to work for that, so there is no need for businesses to pay more.

Many would give up on Savannah and move to where salaries are better. You are to be commended for sticking it out.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 AM

26,730 posts, read 21,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
I have lived in Savannah since May 1994. If I could turn back the clock knowing what I know today, I would not move here again.

1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices.

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
That may have been your experience, but after living in the ATL, Savannah doesn't look that bad to me. Then again, I'm 21, Catholic, college student, and have been in more violent areas. I used to live in Savannah and I felt very safe there.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM

634 posts, read 2,146,844 times
WHATT??

Savannahs a great city to live in.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,193,804 times
My husband and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Savannah, not to mention my 8 year old used to attend Marshpoint Elementary which was an EXCELLENT elementary school. As far as crime was concerned, we lived on the Whitemarsh Island and the only crime we encountered was "watching the news". I felt EXTREMELY safe and secure. Now I admit that there was a lot of crime that took place within the city itself, but as a previous poster stated, it was mainly individuals killing each other over drug turf, rivals, jealous boyfriend/girlfriend. There was some random robberies and killings but no more than what I've seen/heard growing up in Washington DC and living in Miami for 10years.

Unfortunately we moved to Texas to assist a family member, as a result purchased a home (we got more square footage for our $$$ than we could have in Savannah or anywhere on the East Coast for that matter). We have said and continue to say that when we build our equity and grow our savings, we will be coming back to Savannah to buy our retirement home

I miss it everyday! It's a great city, with culture and down south hospitality!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 20,456 times
I lived in Savannah a few years ago and would love to move back.The only problem for me is i want to live in the historic district.And it is not on my budget anymore.I moved from there 5 years ago and was paying $500 a month and now to rent a basic small 1 BR apt is $850 plus.I never had a problems down there but on the nightly news the 1st 15 mins was about killings,robberies you know all the good stuff.If savannah would get rid of all the trashy section 8 apt just west and east of downtown it would probably get better.Atlanta got rid of most of the projects downtown for the olympics and the crime went down there[a little].

Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 AM

37 posts, read 72,080 times
Hello everyone,
We are also concerned with crime in Savannah. The salatheel statistics show that Savannah's murder rate is 2.36 times higher than the national average. The 236 vs 207 number was comparing Savannah to Bridgeport CT. If you've ever been to that place you know it's bad, a snake pit with NYC spillover. Please share some more info on crime specifics. We're also looking for info on tech jobs in the Savannah area. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area