U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM

8,135 posts, read 7,455,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
How do you "notice illegals"? I'm not thinking that one would be able to tell the difference in a "legal" and an "illegal" just by looking.
Like the Scarlett letter accept its a big "I" on the forehead. Haven't you seen them?I have!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
I have lived in Savannah since May 1994. If I could turn back the clock knowing what I know today, I would not move here again.

1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices.

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenisrael View Post
everything you say is true

Seconded.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM

28 posts, read 58,096 times
Default I first was introduced to Savannah in 1999...

It seems like the areas that were considered bad at that time are not that bad anymore. I don't disagree that Savannah at one time was a very tough town, but the historic area is not that dangerous anymore. You still need to be careful anywheres, but compared to how it was in 1999, Savannah seems like a completely different town. I remember living around 31st and Abercorn in 2000-2001. It was full of drugs, prostitutes, and crime. Now the area is beautiful with fixed up houses and young college students jogging on the streets in the morning. I would say that the Historic Area is not that bad all the way up to Victory Blvd now as long as you stay within 3-4 blocks of Bull Street and it is getting better every year.

As retirees start moving into Savannah, the crime will go down and the prices will only go up. The prices for rent and for houses. Also, rent in Savannah is not that high, come on. Of course if you live North of Forsyth Park the rent is high, but there are apartments within 2-3 blocks that are very reasonable and in a fantastic Neighborhood. 2br/1ba can be found for $800-900. That is less than $500/bedroom including utilities. If you go further out you can find 4br/1ba for $750/month. The area is worst, but still not that bad.

The Historic Area of Savannah is improving and will one day be 95% restored and everything from river street to Ardsley Park will trade for at least $200-300/sqft. At those prices there will be hardly any crime left in the historic area. I feel bad for Midtown, because I have heard that the crime is moving that way. As the rent in the Historic Area goes up, the crime is going to move out. Low rent = Higher Crime...

Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM

64 posts, read 235,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerab78 View Post
Also, rent in Savannah is not that high, come on.
Rent prices may seem like a bargain to you, but you have to take into consideration the low wages offered in the area. The most I ever made in Savannah was $10.50 an hour and it was difficult to find an affordable apartment in a decent area.

I never lived in the Historic District. I was on the Southside from 1994-2007 and that part of town is not improving. I saw the area go downhill over the years and crime rates increase.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM

70 posts, read 235,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post

I just met someone recently that moved from Ponte Vedra and was glad to be getting out of that area. Just goes to show you that there are people unhappy in every area.
Amen. Moved to Savannah in late March 2008 (well Pooler actually) for work for myself and DH. Love the area - love the southern hospitality (don't get anything but rudeness from the north where I lived), and LOVE the good Christian values that everyone has and that my family brought with us. Not every place is for everyone, but this place is for us!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
You didn't say Savannah was a 1 million people plus metroplex but it seemed like you as well as other people that have posted in the past compared Savannah to larger metro areas such as DC where you live.

Anyway, regarding Metro Populations, most cities refer to their MSA populations now. Like when people Atlanta, they don't say Atlanta has a population of 450,000 people 5,000,000 plus like their MSA says. And Effingham and Bryan county are part of the Savannah MSA no matter what any county officals say. Savannah pulls from those counties for many jobs.

Mentioning Greenville, SC shouldn't have thrown you because they have a metro population of 302,000 and Pensacola has a meto population of about 400,000, most people would understand that compares with Savannah's metro population.

And the job growth of Savannah is better than the majority of the metro areas its size in the southeast. Savannah has an advantage by having one of the largest ports on the east coast.

If you would rather live in Montgomery and Birmingham that is your preference of course, I just think Savannah has alot more going for it and alot more upside.

Schools: Well congrads on having the best school in the country. School ratings are based on many factors but usually has to do with class & income level of the area.

I know this thread is old, but there is some incorrect info in this post and I want visitors to know the truth. Greenville's metro area is actually 613,000+. The number quoted above was the urban area which is the actual size of the Greenville urban core inside the msa. Greenville is actually larger than Savannah. Greenville county alone has 428,000+.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,345 times
Smile Thanks Padgett2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Just in case you haven't figured it out.....we keep all those poor people around so that fewer of the rich people want to move here. It is surprising that, even then, some of them still pay 4 or 5 million for a home. I just don't understand it!

We are simply going to be even more undesirable!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Padgett2 I've read a lot of your posts now, and THANKS! As a family guy that is living in Illinois we are strongly considering moving to Georgia, and your and Ellie's posts are very helpful. Plus I do enjoy your humour!

I've lived in many States now, but since I got married, we have only lived in Illinois. Why are we considering Georgia? Neither one of us are "yuppies" - we do enjoy our fishing and hunting. Gun laws seem a bit more relaxed in Georgia when compared to Illinois - talked to some people from GA and I think that's established. In any case, Illinois has the most restrictive gun laws in the Nation, aside from Washington, DC. We can't stand the freezing winter weather here any longer. There is NOTHING here unless you visit Chicago, not much of Nature to enjoy & even the pheasant have fled in recent years. Nothing but cornfields for your viewing pleasure [ not that I have ANYTHING against corn! ] I'm well aware that Georgia is not going to be a paradise - no illusions there, but it can't be WORSE than here, from our perspective.

We are both in our 40's with a young daughter [ got started late ! ] and don't give a rat's behind about the dating scene. We are more comfortable in a Christian setting, than not. Illinois has lots of churches, but I am starting to believe they worship Diversity more than anything else. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Georgia was exactly the same in that respect. It is sad that our country is so homogeneous in so many respects.

I don't know Georgia but thanks to you, Ellie, and others, I am starting to get a feel for it and can't wait to visit. I am not "bound and determined" I would say, to live in Georgia, but we are considering it very much.

Unfortunately for us, I AM bound and determined not to live in Atlanta, but it seems that's where a lot of the jobs are. Sigh.

IF we move to Georgia, it will of course depend on the job availability. I already applied to a few places, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. I looked at the housing situation in GA, and it's not much cheaper than here. Pretty much what I expected. Only shocking thing was looking at "temporary apartment housing" there in Savannah - holy crap do they think it's Hawaii !!!? Then again I wouldn't call it a an "exhaustive apartment search ".....

Despite our enjoyment of hunting & fishing we don't consider ourselves "country bumpkins" [ well maybe we are compared to others! ]. Like I said - it can hardly be worse, and we look forward to visiting the Savannah area this Spring.

Thanks all.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Default Kwaite...

You're gonna love it here.
I can tell by your post.

Got a friend up in Rice Lake.
Been trying to get him down heah too.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 AM

18 posts, read 53,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSpinalPat View Post
Seconded.

Well said. Can't really argue with any of the points listed there. Love the scenery and laid back atmosphere, but it's a very difficult place to fit in if you're a transplant. Nice place to visit but living there long term if you have no ties to the area or don't know many people there beforehand, will take its toll on you. 3 years was enough for me.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,345 times
Thanks Just Plain Al!
And as my wife is from the Philippines, there should be at least a few things that remind her more of home,
than here in Illinois. I will keep in mind what Big J_05 wrote, as well, but neither of us have such close friends
here that would keep us from leaving.

We are looking forward to our Georgia Spring Break, and hopefully I'll be able to get an interview or two in while we are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area