Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 208,749 times

Advertisements

Jasondnorris...you are soooo right.....as we were going to move to Savannah, and was living in St. Louis at that time, therefore I was unable to travel to view some places due to our 2 small children and trying to sale our home......my husband viewed Fenwick Village in the Berwick area and although the apt. was very nice and new, the surrounding area was not so nice and the commute into the city was not a picture perfect scene as one might think......I also traveled to Savannah w/ my husband and 2 small children last week and I must say that I was very disappointed and am sooooo happy that we didn't make that move, instead we live in Ponte Vedra Beach Florida and I couldn't be happier as many people on this forum told me to think about the St. Augustine area as it is charming rather than Savannah, however we opted for Ponte Vedra as it is very affluent and your surrounded by oppulence. My thoughts of Savannah are this:

The historic district is quite beautiful, Jones Street, Broughton Street, Victory Drive, Forsyth Square and etc., however, why spen 1 mil and up to be surrounded by the poor and I was just there and I looked around very carefully and it's there...it is there and there's no way around it. If I'm gonna spend 1 mil on a place you better believe that I'm not gonna have to worry about crime, theft or surrounding area.....as I live in Ponte Vedra Beach and not once have I come accross theft, crime or felt in danger.......

The islands....what a joke that was....I drove to Wilmington, Whitemarsh and Tybee and next to Bubba's oyster house there's not a thing that I felt I was missing out on, frankly I was disappointed that I wasted the gas in my car for the drive out there!

Needless to say, everyone has opinions and I'm just one that was a hopeful in regarding to moving to Savannah and was disappointed, actually greatly disappointed but yet thankful for moving elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM

214 posts, read 900,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenlolasmom32 View Post
Jasondnorris...you are soooo right.....as we were going to move to Savannah, and was living in St. Louis at that time, therefore I was unable to travel to view some places due to our 2 small children and trying to sale our home......my husband viewed Fenwick Village in the Berwick area and although the apt. was very nice and new, the surrounding area was not so nice and the commute into the city was not a picture perfect scene as one might think......I also traveled to Savannah w/ my husband and 2 small children last week and I must say that I was very disappointed and am sooooo happy that we didn't make that move, instead we live in Ponte Vedra Beach Florida and I couldn't be happier as many people on this forum told me to think about the St. Augustine area as it is charming rather than Savannah, however we opted for Ponte Vedra as it is very affluent and your surrounded by oppulence. My thoughts of Savannah are this:

The historic district is quite beautiful, Jones Street, Broughton Street, Victory Drive, Forsyth Square and etc., however, why spen 1 mil and up to be surrounded by the poor and I was just there and I looked around very carefully and it's there...it is there and there's no way around it. If I'm gonna spend 1 mil on a place you better believe that I'm not gonna have to worry about crime, theft or surrounding area.....as I live in Ponte Vedra Beach and not once have I come accross theft, crime or felt in danger.......

The islands....what a joke that was....I drove to Wilmington, Whitemarsh and Tybee and next to Bubba's oyster house there's not a thing that I felt I was missing out on, frankly I was disappointed that I wasted the gas in my car for the drive out there!

Needless to say, everyone has opinions and I'm just one that was a hopeful in regarding to moving to Savannah and was disappointed, actually greatly disappointed but yet thankful for moving elsewhere!
Did you check out Skidaway Island and The Landings? That sounds like what you would be looking for to me.

What exactly were you looking for on the Islands? If you were looking for a bunch of chain restaurants then yea, it is definately not for you. But I can assure you there are several dining establishments on the Islands other
than Uncle Bubbas. Sorry you missed out on those.

I just met someone recently that moved from Ponte Vedra and was glad to be getting out of that area. Just goes to show you that there are people unhappy in every area.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Actually I looked at homes in the Landings and I wasn't impressed. And yes, there are a few more places to eat that I failed to mention, Pearls Saltwater Grill, Barbara Jeans, The Crab Shack (where the elite eat per the sign) and more, but I was not impressed at all!

If we would have made the move, and price isn't an issue for someone, I can honestly say that the only way to go would be living in the historic disctrict, near one of the squares, Jones Street and nearby and again, if we would have moved, this would have been the only option for us. However, you tie up a mil on a place and then your surrounded by poor and I say POOR and did I say Poor?

And lets not even get started on the school district, yikes. We were gonna put our girls in Savannah Day private, but come one people, not everyone has that option! Also....on a radio show the other day they were talking about school districts and etc and it said that the state of Georgia is ranked #2 next to Detroit for the worst public schools! I have also had realtors tell me that Chatham county schools are the pits, need to go into Effingham or Bryan county, and I looked at there at places, the most depressing area I have driven in my life!

As for someone leaving Ponte Vedra and being glad to get out of here, I'm willing to agree that unhappiness is everywhere, however, I'm also willing to go ahead and say that the probably didn't live in a community as we do, and maybe they didn't have the luxury or convenience to live where ever they wanted too.

Savannah is a beautiful place, the trees and squares, but it is also my belief that the poor inner city people and the crime that comes with it exceeds the beauty.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM

214 posts, read 900,054 times
Quote:
Actually I looked at homes in the Landings and I wasn't impressed. And yes, there are a few more places to eat that I failed to mention, Pearls Saltwater Grill, Barbara Jeans, The Crab Shack (where the elite eat per the sign) and more, but I was not impressed at all!

If we would have made the move, and price isn't an issue for someone, I can honestly say that the only way to go would be living in the historic disctrict, near one of the squares, Jones Street and nearby and again, if we would have moved, this would have been the only option for us. However, you tie up a mil on a place and then your surrounded by poor and I say POOR and did I say Poor?

And lets not even get started on the school district, yikes. We were gonna put our girls in Savannah Day private, but come one people, not everyone has that option! Also....on a radio show the other day they were talking about school districts and etc and it said that the state of Georgia is ranked #2 next to Detroit for the worst public schools! I have also had realtors tell me that Chatham county schools are the pits, need to go into Effingham or Bryan county, and I looked at there at places, the most depressing area I have driven in my life!

As for someone leaving Ponte Vedra and being glad to get out of here, I'm willing to agree that unhappiness is everywhere, however, I'm also willing to go ahead and say that the probably didn't live in a community as we do, and maybe they didn't have the luxury or convenience to live where ever they wanted too.

Savannah is a beautiful place, the trees and squares, but it is also my belief that the poor inner city people and the crime that comes with it exceeds the beauty.
Welcome to The South.
What do you think us "poor" people over here in Savannah ought to do about all those "poor" people in the inner city. (no pun intended)
What is your solution?

Also what impressed you so much about Ponte Vedra? All the gated neighborhoods where noone knows their neighbor?

Last edited by FFG3; 08-27-2007 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-27-2007, 05:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Just in case you haven't figured it out.....we keep all those poor people around so that fewer of the rich people want to move here. It is surprising that, even then, some of them still pay 4 or 5 million for a home. I just don't understand it!

We are simply going to be even more undesirable!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Welcome to The South.
What do you think us "poor" people over here in Savannah ought to do about all those "poor" people in the inner city. (no pun intended)
What is your solution?

Also what impressed you so much about Ponte Vedra? All the gated neighborhoods where noone knows their neighbor?
Actually no, the gated communities here in Ponte Vedra don't impress me, as my parents estate in Lake Forest Illinois has a gate at the bottom of their drive, so as you could see, this isn't impressive and actually I know everyone of my parents neighbors as do they and we currently live beach front in Ponte Vedra, not in Marsh Landing or one of the many gated communities as we have our own private gate at our driveway entrance!

As for the crime in the inner city and the poor, I'm not a law enforcer, I am an officer of the court therefore I keep those alleged criminals out of jail. However, I did recently speak to the new police chief from LA and he has told me that he's in the process of cleaning the d-town up and the city of Savannah just recently had a meeting regarding an upcoming solution to help fight and manage crime better, which is to install security cameras at lights and installing computers in the cop cars, as my husband was one of those in the closed panel meeting and I was yet another observer.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Default I would think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Just in case you haven't figured it out.....we keep all those poor people around so that fewer of the rich people want to move here. It is surprising that, even then, some of them still pay 4 or 5 million for a home. I just don't understand it!

We are simply going to be even more undesirable!
I'm glad that you keep all those poor people around so fewer rich people want to move to Savannah! Personally, there is no way that I would opt to spend 1 mil and up and then have to worry about potential crime surrounding me, such as a break in, or even a murder.

I am a educated woman, I did my research and spoke to several people and I found out more than enough and yet I was still opting to go ahead and make the move, it was only after my husband viewed some places and witnessed first hand what everyone warned us about. I too experienced this first hand upon my recent visit....I was driving to Tybee at noon on a weekday and stopped off on Victory Drive in Thunderbolt and 2 different men approached me and asked me for money while my girls was in thecar, and they didn't stop there, I had to leave before I was finished pumping my gas. I was actually nervous and a little scared.

As I previously mentioned, I am not one to spend a mil and up and then be worried, as I read about the Debutante murder, now here's a young girl from a wealthy family and look what happened to her, as this is yet just one of many facts to why I don't wish to spend a million dollars on one of those beautiful homes that surround the squares. Lets face it, 1 mil is alot to spend for a home, and those individuals that are able to finace such a home must have rocks in their head to put themselves at risk.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine, this is not meant harsh against anyone, I am just stating my feelings, opinion and what I researched and witnessed first hand. I also did a check and it says that the city of Savannah, Chatham county has a very high sex offender population, and the stats speak for themself. Guess what, I don't choose to live amongst them or anywhere near them, another reason we didn't make the move. There are 0 sex offenders in Ponte Vedra Beach and the next town over, St. Augustine, and this is what I want to surround my two small girls to.

You won't hear me deny Savannah the beauty, as it is very beautiful, it's just my opinion that the surrounding crime outweighs the beauty!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM

Default stats

Just wanted to list the stats of both Savannah and Ponte Vedra and the stats speak for themself! And it also appears that there is now 1 sex offender in Ponte Vedra but I'm pretty sure that he or she is not one of my neighbors, nor do I think I'll run into them at the club!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Savannah-Georgia.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ponte-Vedra-Florida.html

Again, not trying to be snobby or rude, just stating my experience and giving some examples to why we changed our mind to moving to your city.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM

45 posts, read 257,587 times
Quote:
Just wanted to list the stats of both Savannah and Ponte Vedra and the stats speak for themself! And it also appears that there is now 1 sex offender in Ponte Vedra but I'm pretty sure that he or she is not one of my neighbors, nor do I think I'll run into them at the club!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Savannah-Georgia.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ponte-Vedra-Florida.html

Again, not trying to be snobby or rude, just stating my experience and giving some examples to why we changed our mind to moving to your city.
GOOD GOD! a sex offender at the "club"?!!

you are too much. too bad you didn't move to savannah..we might have a had a good chuckle over your sheltered silliness. please please please stay where you are.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
there's no need for you to worry your pretty little head about anyone here thinking that you are TRYING to be snobby or rude. Heavens No!!! That would be the last thing we would think!

You made a wise decision. I am sure that you would be most unhappy here. There's even been a little book about things you mention. I forget the author, it's called "Real Women Don't Pump Gas." Lovely little guide to the those that don't understand about a person's place in the social order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area