U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 AM

64 posts, read 230,461 times
Exclamation I would not move to Savannah...

I have lived in Savannah since May 1994. If I could turn back the clock knowing what I know today, I would not move here again.

1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices.

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 PM

98 posts, read 276,542 times
That is awesome to hear. I just flew in today for my spring break...trying to find an elementary teaching position. But don't worry, I won't take your word for it, I'm gonna find out for myself

Old 03-11-2007, 04:00 AM

436 posts, read 379,631 times
My wife and I love Savannah. We decided to stay in Atlanta for now but, having visited Savannah many times, we'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,621,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingHoosier View Post
That is awesome to hear. I just flew in today for my spring break...trying to find an elementary teaching position. But don't worry, I won't take your word for it, I'm gonna find out for myself
Good that you are going to find out for yourself. It's an awesome city. Being a tourist / visitor is one thing, but living in or around Savannah is totally different (like anywhere I suppose). Make sure you soak up as much of the culture that you can and be turned on by some of that good ol' Southern charm. Be careful though, as Savannah does have a high crime rate and a less than desirable undertow.

Have fun

Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 AM

6,971 posts, read 11,859,961 times
Not every city suits everybody. I'm sure that new28moon tried her best, but maybe it wasn't in the stars for her.

Personally, I've seen Savannah grow and develop in so many positive ways. You can't turn a place around overnight, or even in a decade, but if she had gotten there a few years earlier, she would have certainly seen the difference.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM

431 posts, read 25,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
1. The white collar job market is very limited. Good jobs are few and far between and the pay rates are low for office positions. It doesn't matter what your education or experience is. Exactly what I've found in respect to jobs and pay. Management positions pay very low compared to other cities. If you are an office worker (clerical, administrative assistant, A/R, A/P, Payroll, etc.) you're going to make between $8 - $10 / hour. Very low! If it weren't for the hotels and restaurants, many of Savannah's residents / students wouldn't be employed. Doing these jobs earn you about $6 - $7 an hour. Can't live on that.

2. The cost of living is high in relation to the low wages. I have struggled financially the entire time I have lived here due to the high rent prices. Right again. For some reason, landlords in Savannah think their dwellings are worth more per square foot than in areas like Dallas, Atlanta, or Pheonix. 750 square feet of nothing runs $1,000 / month (downtown with NO parking and amongst the 100's and 100's of tourists and students).

3. Crime is bad here. You can't turn on the local news without hearing about a shooting or an armed robbery. The worst in the nation for murder - per capia.

4. The dating scene is limited here especially if you are over 30. There are not many professional men in this area. I came here already taken, but you're correct. The older men are either gay or single for a very good reason.

5. Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here. Unless you are gay / lesbian or a student. Otherwise, you're correct again.

I am very frustrated with Savannah and I want to bring these things to your attention if you are considering moving to this area.
It's a poor city, despite the rich people who live here. Savannah does little to promote tourism and bring in the dollars other than local (city and state). You either have money or you don't. Most don't. There's little to no "middle class" and residents don't seem to mind. Maybe it's generation after generation of poor folks who have just gotten used to it. And the rich, too. They've inherited it and just expect to always have their money and think little of those who are without. Social services are virtually non-existent. While there's deep history and areas of beautiful old homes, it's not a city that would "lure" you away for a better life unless, of course, you're retired.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM

6,971 posts, read 11,859,961 times
"Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here. Unless you are gay / lesbian or a student. "

I don't have time to debate you, point for point, but I found that statement rather humorous.

So if I did not go to church, was not a student, does that automatically make me gay/lesbian? Always wondered about that....

Old 03-12-2007, 07:09 PM

98 posts, read 276,542 times
Well tomororw I'm going to sign a contract with the Savannah-Chatham schools. I absolutely love it here so far. So here goes nothing...it's time to relocate!!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM

431 posts, read 25,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
"Savannah is a fairly religious town. If you are not a Christian conservative or church goer (like myself) then you will not have much in common with the average person here. Unless you are gay / lesbian or a student. "

I don't have time to debate you, point for point, but I found that statement rather humorous.

So if I did not go to church, was not a student, does that automatically make me gay/lesbian? Always wondered about that....
No, I didn't mean that at all ~ simply pointing out the "other" large group of folks who live in Savannah. That's not good, bad or ugly. It just is. Wasn't meant to offend anyone ~ information only.

<EDIT>

Last edited by xxman777; 03-12-2007 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,621,635 times
relocatinghoosier. I'm happy to see that things are working out for you. Good luck with the new job, new life and all that comes with it.
Since you are going to be teaching, I wanted to share something with you that I posted in another thread (note the sentence on schools).

My family and I lived just outside of Savannah several years ago. It is a beautiful city with an amazing history. Sadly there is a very dangerous and ugly side to this city. Unfortunately, a lot of it has to do with drugs, weapons and gangs. Slowly this ugliness has spread to the surrounding burbs. It might not be as noticeable but it is there. I would take a trip to the main Savannah Police station and see some of the wonderful stuff that they have confiscated from children in some of the Elementary schools. It was an eye opener for me. I hate to be so negative about a place especially about one that is as beautiful as Savannah, but I know that I would want to know the good, the bad and the ugly of a place before I moved there.

Maybe you'll be the one teacher that will make a big difference in one of those kid's lives.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area