Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 PM

9 posts, read 80,125 times

Advertisements

I have noticed all different opinions about this area. I was wondering how to get a job down there...I've put out several resumes/applications and have heard nothing. I've tried everything from restaurant manager trainee to administrative assistant, juvenile corrections officer, numerous teaching positions, counselor and advisor positions, and the list goes on. I have ten years in administrative assistant experience and am working on my second Masters in education. What does it take to get something? I've heard that an applicant has to know people to be considered. I'm getting very discouraged, but I really want to move down there and am breaking my lease here in the Atlanta-Metro area November 1. I will have sixty days to be gone. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apull34395 View Post
I have noticed all different opinions about this area. I was wondering how to get a job down there...I've put out several resumes/applications and have heard nothing. I've tried everything from restaurant manager trainee to administrative assistant, juvenile corrections officer, numerous teaching positions, counselor and advisor positions, and the list goes on. I have ten years in administrative assistant experience and am working on my second Masters in education. What does it take to get something? I've heard that an applicant has to know people to be considered. I'm getting very discouraged, but I really want to move down there and am breaking my lease here in the Atlanta-Metro area November 1. I will have sixty days to be gone. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Human+Resources/Career+Opportunities.htm - broken link)

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM

468 posts, read 580,211 times
Aside from the overall job market sucking right now,yes I think the 'bubba system' is still in effect down south Does your resume contain any schooling/jobs from anywhere other than south? Of course you could also be a little overqualified to work around Charleston,it's more of a tourist area than of course Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Yes, I currently have 8 applications in Savannah-Chatham County Schools. Thank you, though. Maybe I'm just impatient. Worried about the move and having a home is all. Now I am worried about our dog being too big to allow us into a rental property. She is 66 pounds. Seems like a lot want 40 pounds or less.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Aside from the overall job market sucking right now,yes I think the 'bubba system' is still in effect down south Does your resume contain any schooling/jobs from anywhere other than south? Of course you could also be a little overqualified to work around Charleston,it's more of a tourist area than of course Atlanta.

Yes, that's what I have heard about the 'bubba system' or whatever it may be named. All of my education and experience is from the north...I'm originally from Delaware. Where is Charleston?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
The schools are still looking for teachers
but the ports and Gulfstream are the job generators now
The locals complain that Gulfstream will only hire those who do not live here................

Savannah, Hinesville among country's 'best performing' cities | SavannahNow.com

ranks metro areas - both large and small - according to their ability to grow and sustain jobs.
growth at the port of Savannah and Gulfstream Aerospace's new Savannah Service Center is part of a seven-year, $400 million long-range expansion plan that will add more than 1,100 new jobs in the Savannah area.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM

468 posts, read 580,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apull34395 View Post
Yes, that's what I have heard about the 'bubba system' or whatever it may be named. All of my education and experience is from the north...I'm originally from Delaware. Where is Charleston?
Oh sorry,got my cities mixed up
Oh well it's still the south

Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
I spent a lot of time in NYC then and there is nothing like that in Savannah. How safe would a black man or a gay couple be walking thru Rincon or Richmond Hill at 3 am?
Actually, i live in Rincon and work in Savannah. It's a normal suburban neighborhood. My neighbors across the street are two ladies that are life partners and we have several homes owned by African Americans. I don't understand that statement.
And anyway, the crime in Savannah is mostly concentrated south of Forsyth park and North of Ardsley. It's mainly a pocket where gangs kill eachother.
As for jobs that pay well. I make $40K at the local newspaper and will soon be working at SCAD making the same.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammerbammer View Post
Actually, i live in Rincon and work in Savannah. It's a normal suburban neighborhood. My neighbors across the street are two ladies that are life partners and we have several homes owned by African Americans. I don't understand that statement.
And anyway, the crime in Savannah is mostly concentrated south of Forsyth park and North of Ardsley. It's mainly a pocket where gangs kill eachother.
As for jobs that pay well. I make $40K at the local newspaper and will soon be working at SCAD making the same.
Are they hiring now? lol
I'm having a hard time getting a job. I have yet to hear back from anyone in any school districts down there, as well as the several other jobs I applied for. One of the state jobs in Brantley County emailed me to say she was waiting for the posting deadline to pass and then she would be contacting me. So hopefully something will happen soon. I have until December 31 to get out of my apartment here in the Atlanta-Metro area. I also need money! How long does it take??

Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
A phone call to the Board of Education might work better than a resume. Let them know that you are very interested. Also, don't turn down a chance to be a sustitute teacher. It will probably lead to a full time position soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area