Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM

165 posts, read 505,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelP View Post
Look, I am not going to apologize for what I said. This is something that I feel very strongly about. You posted in a public forum and that opens you up to comments whether you like them or not. The truth is that you are going to possibly have a very tough time finding a home for them.
I'm not asking you to apologize for what you said or for your beliefs. They are noble ones. However, this is something that we are taking very seriously, and I don't appreciate being lumped into a category with people who aren't responsible with their pets.

I understand that I've ALREADY been having a tough time finding a home for them which is why I have asked for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Your vet tech may have mentioned this, but I didn't see (or missed it); recently had the same issue with our puppy; our vet tech suggested placing the pup's food and water in the "adopted toilet area". It worked for me. Tried it already for kitties and dog? I know you mentioned the dog will be re-homed so probably not a big issue there, but might work while s/he is still there and maybe the kitties? Although I'm sure you have - ignore people that want to lecture but keep in mind, everyone here is VERY passionate about pets and that makes this forum great, and sometimes not so great. It'll work out for you and pets - very best of luck to you!
Thank you for your suggestion on how to remedy the situation. We did try this upfront, but it is definitely worth trying again. I appreciate the support and constructive feedback.

I do know that people are passionate about pets...and I fully respect and support that. I would fully expect people to do as they feel needs to be done. I just get my toes stepped on when generalizations are made about the idea that we haven't been working through this for a while now with lots of advice from various sources. I don't like people insinuating that we are abandoning our pets, when in fact, that's the last thing we are doing. On the contrary, we are trying to find homes for them.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM

30 posts, read 110,264 times
Things happen in life. I am not disputing that. This is the 3rd time this week that I've run across someone looking to give away their pets. Someone I know wants to give away her [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]Pit [COLOR=green ! important]Bull[/color][/color][/color] because her bf doesn't like the dog and someone else I spoke to is giving away their Yorkies because they are getting a divorce and can't afford to live alone.

I really think that people need to think long and hard before they commit to animals because situations can and do change and when they do will you still be able to cafe for your animals? Give them a home? Pay for vet bills and food? If you are giving away a pet because your man doesn't like it, you have decided to have kids, or you can't afford to live on your own you should never have got the animal in the first place.

Unfortunately, with the current economy I believe this will become even more of an issue. Honestly, it makes me very sad to see animals taken from their homes and turned over to shelters. Yorkies will probably easily find homes but many others will meet their end in the shelters. At the SPCA I volunteered at, older cats sometimes went as long as 2 years without being adopted.

I am just asking people to think logically and be responsible. I don't know you or your situation but I do know that I would *never* give one of my animals up. I would find a way to make things work.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM

182 posts, read 709,483 times
Here is my nonjudgmental 2 cents.

People with pit bull fighting rings troll the internet looking for free animals to use as 'bait' for their fighting dogs.
People involved in animal testing troll the internet looking for free animals to use in experiments.

The SPCA and pound keep records of adoptions and get suspicious of several adoptions to one person or family. A person needing a constant supply of animals quickly exhausts charitable causes and the internet has turned into a good resource for them.

This is also why the animal shelters require an "adoption fee" to ensure that the new owner has a vested interest in the animal and to keep it unaffordable to get the needed animals from the shelters.

And when an internet interested person comes to your home to look at the animal and take it away...of course the pit bull ringleader does not come to collect the animal. They send a harmless looking person.

My suggestion that you may not like...ask friends/family to take the cats, and tell them the cats come with a "thank you gift" of $1,000 or something to cover the costs of food, litter and shots for the expected lifetime of the animal. And you get first shot at the cat if they decide not to keep it.

I was able to give away 3 of my mothers cats to coworkers and friends when my mother passed by offering this incentive. All cats were somewhat undesirable by being over 8 yrs old, and one had diabetes and needed daily insulin shots. All cats are still in the homes except one cat that has passed away.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
I was able to give away 3 of my mothers cats to coworkers and friends when my mother passed by offering this incentive. All cats were somewhat undesirable by being over 8 yrs old, and one had diabetes and needed daily insulin shots. All cats are still in the homes except one cat that has passed away.
Wow...congrats with your success!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM

182 posts, read 709,483 times
Well, I'm not sure why, but when you offer $1000 with the cat suddenly homes open up.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM

737 posts, read 2,451,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
Well, I'm not sure why, but when you offer $1000 with the cat suddenly homes open up.
If you truly care, it don't hurt to offer an incentive.
My outfit <name omitted to avoid a warning> will somtimes wave adoption/rehoming fees if they are truly going to good homes.
But we do have to recoup our costs.
Ain't nothing in this life truly "free".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area