Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:24 PM

242 posts, read 758,518 times

Advertisements

The tap water was OK there the couple of times I visited. It tastes very similar to the Florida tap water, if you're familiar with it, though a little less pungent. Definitely on the hard side. I do believe Savannah's water comes from the Florida aquifer. I didn't really taste much of it, but I did shower in it. Not as bad as some places I've been to. Jacksonville, FL has the worst water hands down. Compared to south Florida and SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 AM

779 posts, read 972,604 times
Savannah water comes from a hodgepodge assortment of wells into the upper and lower aquifers supplemented by water pumped from Abercorn Creek in Effingham County and treated in Port Wentworth by the City of Savannah. The treated creek water is used by Savannah and some is sold to surrounding cities and Effingham County. You can never be sure where Savannah water comes from in the city.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 PM

53 posts, read 48,324 times
It tasted funy in Georgetown. In Pooler it's fine, but we have a fridge with a filter and dispenser. Then again, I haven't changed the filter since we bought the fridge 8 years ago...

Old 10-25-2016, 02:56 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
The water on the coast used to be dreadful. Most residents utilized wells, and the aquifer water had a high sulfur content. It smelled like rotten eggs.
Most everyone here is on county water now; it's a big improvement. My aunt still uses her well for the sprinkler system, which leaves stains on her brick walls.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:14 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Savannah water comes from a hodgepodge assortment of wells into the upper and lower aquifers supplemented by water pumped from Abercorn Creek in Effingham County and treated in Port Wentworth by the City of Savannah. The treated creek water is used by Savannah and some is sold to surrounding cities and Effingham County. You can never be sure where Savannah water comes from in the city.

Which is a shame, the papermills draw more water than the surrounding population. It would be much better for us all to drink from the aquifer but due to salt creeping in, we are supplementing our withdraws with river water while the paper plants are not.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Which is a shame, the papermills draw more water than the surrounding population. It would be much better for us all to drink from the aquifer but due to salt creeping in, we are supplementing our withdraws with river water while the paper plants are not.
Politics and big industry. The reason the paper mills use Aquifer water is because they would go broke buying water from the City of Savannah Industrial and Domestic (I&D) treated creek water.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Politics and big industry. The reason the paper mills use Aquifer water is because they would go broke buying water from the City of Savannah Industrial and Domestic (I&D) treated creek water.
Almost all of them are right beside waterways where they discharge waste into. They could easily bring water from the waterway into their system, but it would have to be treated and would cost additional dollars.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:04 AM

EPD regulations are not conserving the aquifer. They are just regulating who gets to pump it. The EPD selected Highway 119 as the red zone border for restricted additional pumping permits from the Aquifer South of Highway 119. The City of Springfield's well pumping from the Aquifer was South of the Red Zone (behind the Hospital) so they had to drill a new well across the highway to get additional pumping capacity. Through a complicated deal with the City of Springfield and the Effingham Industrial Authority (IDA), they were able to transfer the IDA's permitted capacity from a well in the Effingham Industrial Park the IDA had given the City of Springfield years ago (which is South of the red zone) so the IDA could drill ln well in the IDA's 1600 acre tract of land (AKA Moon River Studio site) next to I-16 South of the Red Zone so they could supply water to the Proposed largest Movie Studio in the World. As a result a waterline had to be constructed from Springfield to the Industrial Park about 4 miles away to replace the permitted water capacity moved to the Moon River tract. Hopefully the IDA will find another use for the Moon River tract. (Moon River is written all over the Engineering documents for upgrading the site so I call it the Moon River site.) I am not sure who paid for the replacement water line between Springfield and the Industrial park so they could pull off this permitted water pumping swap.

Last edited by counterclockwise; 10-29-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,302 times
My water in Savannah in truly disgusting. It looks like it it has been infused with milk and it is translucent and even opaque at times. When poured into a transparent container, it can be seen easily. It also makes noise!!! It fizzes like a carbonated beverage and a steam-like gas arises (but it is not boiling or even hot water). I go through water filters at a dizzying pace. If anyone wants to see some images just email me. I will send. ..
Katkimcee@aol.com

Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark27 View Post
My water in Savannah in truly disgusting. It looks like it it has been infused with milk and it is translucent and even opaque at times. When poured into a transparent container, it can be seen easily. It also makes noise!!! It fizzes like a carbonated beverage and a steam-like gas arises (but it is not boiling or even hot water). I go through water filters at a dizzying pace. If anyone wants to see some images just email me. I will send. ..
Katkimcee@aol.com

The problem is YOUR filter NOT the water. Think about it one poster and pleazzzsee come back to us and tell us wat er happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area